MMO sitting in hardly driven vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think a 20% dose of MMO in the oil will hurt anything sitting in a parked vehicle for a few months? I wouldn't want it to eat at seals or anything strange.

No harm done, but 20% is what I call a heavy dose, even if it's "approved up to".....

Are you trying to de-sludge an old engine or something?

Originally Posted by Linctex
No harm done, but 20% is what I call a heavy dose, even if it's "approved up to".....

Are you trying to de-sludge an old engine or something?

Not knowingly. I just want to do a cleaning on a high mileage truck I bought that hardly ever gets driven. It will take me probably a month to even get a couple hundred miles on it before oil change.

I'm really just more curious than anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silver
I just want to do a cleaning on a high mileage truck .... probably a month to even get a couple hundred miles on it before oil change.

Take it on short trips here and there.

MMO burns up/ evaporates out if it gets too hot.

So after we determine if it will hurt anything, we can start to answer the "will it help anything" question
wink.gif

Seriously, why?

Originally Posted by Silver
Do you think a 20% dose of MMO in the oil will hurt anything sitting in a parked vehicle for a few months? I wouldn't want it to eat at seals or anything strange.

If its parked, the MMO will do little or nothing. It will just sit in the sump, uncirculated. PASS.

I did a couple runs of a HDEO in the 10w30 or 15w40 flavor and 20% MMO. Seems to do an excellent job without being overly aggressive.

I doubt leaving MMO in a sump which does not circulate oil will accomplish anything. Maybe put it in and then drive 40 miles or so then park it.

LOL I did not ask if it would be effective sitting in the pan. My question was meant to be, will it be harmful to anything internal, sitting on the internals for an extended period, after the vehicle has ran and circulated it.

Since there is still oil sitting on the internal parts like the rings etc. I don't see why the MMO wouldn't at least accomplish some possible cleaning of the ring packs?

My donor 5.3 gm ls engine is sitting on an engine stand while I save up for money to swap it in my car. I pumped straight MMO directly down the spark plug holes to try and clean the rings since 5.3s are known to burn a bit of oil and I bought the engine used with no maintenance history other than the fact that it has 120k miles on it and is a 2000 model year.

I would think if you're not putting a lot of miles on it then it wouldn't hurt to leave it in there for a little while like a month of occasional driving to try to clean up the internals. I doubt it would have any affect on the seals but no guarantees there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back