HiFlo - HF171B Cut Open, 2014 Road King,

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of two HiFlo filters that I bought.
Normally I use the standard Harley-Davidson oil filters but for the heck of it this year I picked up two of these just for fun. This filter has just over 3,000 miles on it.

I'm undecided if I'm going to keep using them as they are about 1/4 of an inch longer which makes it hard for the oil filter wrench to get to the filter.

Very pleased/impressed with the construction and I think HiFlo also makes many of the K&N filters that are commonly used.

The price is better than the Harley-Davidson filters which are getting a bit pricey but not my reason for playing around with these. (I guess?) 🙃

IMG_20181104_133256.jpg

IMG_20181104_141207.jpg

IMG_20181104_141221.jpg

IMG_20181104_141228.jpg

IMG_20181104_141430.jpg

IMG_20181104_141411.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
You take better pics than me
wink.gif

Looks good and thank you for c&p
smile.gif

Stude,
Your photos are great and the amount of filters that you post on here is amazing so let me say thank you to you too!
This is only the second filter I ever cut open last one was a few posts down from my wife's Mazda, nothing fancy to cut it open with, just a hacksaw.
I was impressed with the construction of this filter with the strong metal cage in the core but I think maybe most motorcycle filters are strong.
I have no idea... Never paid much attention.

It does look like the OEM HD filter material is of better quality? Synthetic... I have no Idea but Robert's photos of the HD filter material does look more sophisticated.
I have noticed using the HiFlo I no longer get a very small light sounding tick for a few minutes on cold starts certain times of the year, need to confirm further though and this time of year through the winter I'll know for sure.

Last edited:
Thank you for the C&P.

I agree the filter doesn't look bad.

Does not appear to be wire backed synthetic media or a silicone ADBV, the SP5 gives you both.

Thank you for posting this, it could not be more timely and reassuring for me. Just bought a HiFloFiltro HF551 for the Moto Guzzi for the upcoming pre-winter oil change. Do we know if that ADBV is silicone or nitrile?

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Thank you for the C&P.

I agree the filter doesn't look bad.

Does not appear to be wire backed synthetic media or a silicone ADBV, the SP5 gives you both.

Yes I made note of that in my reply to Stude... chances are I was editing it while you were posting.

I do think the HD filter material is more sophisticated and maybe higher cost.
If I was doing long-term oil changes I very well may be more comfortable with the HD filter but since I change at least 2 times a year or even once, there was a side benefit that I'm almost certain of using the HiFlo which I posted above to Stude.
I have yet to confirm it and it's so slight it doesn't matter but anyway, this was all for fun.
I guess I'll know next year what filter I decide to use🙃 since I'm now all out of both.

ps. Have the Blackstone sample in the bottle, hope to get it out this week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Thank you for posting this, it could not be more timely and reassuring for me. Just bought a HiFloFiltro HF551 for the Moto Guzzi for the upcoming pre-winter oil change. Do we know if that ADBV is silicone or nitrile?

OK, I'll go check the garbage can, LOL...
I say it's nitrile which I assumed being it was black and I'm right, it feels firmer then I think silicone would feel.
I am sure you are going to like the look, feel and weight as well as the overall construction of the filter though it may not have the materials you hope for.

For me I impressed with construction inside and out including bypass valve. Even though it's using more standard filter material I think you will be more then happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the C&P, Alarmguy. I've been using HF147's for my 08 Yamaha Vector snow machine for quite a few years now.

$10 bucks vs Yamaha's $20+ is a no brainer to me. I have also been told, more than once, that Hi-Flo makes Yamaha's filters anyways?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv
Thanks for the C&P, Alarmguy. I've been using HF147's for my 08 Yamaha Vector snow machine for quite a few years now.

$10 bucks vs Yamaha's $20+ is a no brainer to me. I have also been told, more than once, that Hi-Flo makes Yamaha's filters anyways?

It's possible..
HiFlo Company link

Looks like a good filter, thanks for the C&P.

I've used a few HiFlo filters on my CBR600 and they worked fine from what I could tell.

Nice center tube holes ... best seen yet. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Nice center tube holes ... best seen yet. Thanks for the C&P.

You know, my thoughts exactly.
There is no flow restriction going on there! Plus the steel cage of that center tube is really heavy duty stuff. Left an impression on me.
Havent seen anything like it.

I was also impressed by the construction and design of the bypass valve (photo) pressing on it, it just felt well designed.

I know filters are flow tested and most likely all good but to me, it seems every darn filter has small slotted holes, drives me nuts, wish they all looked like the high flow as well as the bypass valve..

The filter material is more standard then the design of the HD filter duckrider posted which seems more robust, maybe your getting your moneys worth for the few extra dollars of the HD filter if that is what makes you happy.. I havent decided yet except its a bit challenging changing the HiFlo because its slightly longer and HD has a sensor right near the oil filter that gets in the way, my buying decision on which filter might be based just on that alone, its takes a couple extra minutes of wiggling around the filter wrench

Last edited:
I've used the HiFlo cartridge type in a F650 thumper. Seems a bit small but the filter is stout. One thing I like about these types of filter types is the before/after visual inspection with no cutting required.

Nice report.

Those are great filters! Thanks for the photos. I also have a few in my stash that I'm itching to use.

I put the RC filter on mine, I love the nut on the end, makes it way easier to install and take off my Road King, plus it is a 5 micron filter also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back