2010 Honda Accord opinion experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thinking of buy a 2010 Honda Accord LX with the a 2.4 cylinder low output engine.
Car looks very good and drives well, engine is clean under oil cap and inside exhaust pipe is dry. I understand this engine is known for oil consumption but possibly taken care of by a recall. The owners swears it doesn't burn oil but he has only owned it for 1.5 years. I noticed the steering rack leaking near the input shaft.
I forgot to notice if this engine has a timing belt or chain. I would prefer a chain.

The 4 cyl has a chain. If you look at other V6 Accords they have a timing belt, fyi. The 2003 and up 4cyl Accords have chains. Replace the pcv valve with an oem unit every 60k miles since the internal spring is known to break around then. Which can cause oil consumption. Also using a good quality oil and changing every 5k miles should keep it running a long, long time. Use only the Honda designated p.s. fluid.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Is Honda Power steering fluid different? I thought people were going to tell me this engine is an oil burner.
Yes, fancy power steering fluid and I think fancy coolant too.

I haven't heard of them burning oil, maybe you're thinking of the old 2.4 Camrys?

Have an '09 with 171k on it now. VTC started grinding around 160k. Bought it with 156k.

Car had been on dino all its life, burned a quart every 1000 miles when first switched over to M1 EP 0w20. Second change I added liqui-moly oil saver, cosumption has decreased to less than half a quart over 3000 miles on this change.

From everthing I've read, VTC hasn't really caused any engines to grenade, I don't have the ambition to tackle that job, have been letting it ride for now.

Make sure you get glass coverage or have a slush fund for windshield replacements. Previous owner cracked 3-4 of them. I think the upright and flat glass has something to do with it.

Other than that it's just been standard consumables for it's entire life thus far.

I have owned several Honda's and always replaced the blue coolant with the universal 50/50 premix one brand works for any vehicle type of anti freeze. I have never had a problem. I wouldn't worry about that engine at all and it should be good for 300,000 miles with good maintenance.

Originally Posted by mclasser
That gen had issues with the VTC actuator grinding on cold starts.

Along with the next gen of K24. My ‘14 started showing signs before trade in.

Honda made some changes to improve economy in ‘11 along with a minor facelift. Even with the VCT clatter on cold startup the cars are proving to be good buys. Nobody has shown the noise causes any harm.

We have a Gen 8 '12 K24 with around 97K now.
The car has needed nothing other than a set of tires and a set of brake pads.
I gave it mostly 0W-20 with two short OCIs of PP 5W-20 for about 10K.
From the Gen 3 through the Gen 10, this is the least inspiring to drive Accord.
These are the largest generation of Accord and are quite roomy.
Fuel economy is good and you can set the cruise on 75 mph and expect 34 mpg.
The K24 makes ample power if you leg it and is smooth and strong all the way to redline just as any Honda four always is.
For the right money, this would be a solid buy.
How much and how many miles?

I had one till 2015. put about 90k on it. Ran Mobile 1 5w-20 on 10k oci. dropped 3 qts of transmission fluid every 20k and refilled with honda fluid. Never had any problems with it and had zero oil consumption. Shortly after i traded it in on a 2015 Passat TDI i got a notice in the mail concerning oil consumption and rings that resulted in an extended warranty to 120k i believe. I didnt read it closely as i had traded the car.

I'll be repeating other posts, but I own a 2012 Accord EX-L 2.4 so I figured I would chime in as well. The earlier 8th gens ARE known oil burners. Some never have an issue, some burn over a quart every 1000 miles. If yours was properly maintained and driven in a sane manner hopefully you won't have any issues. I believe modifications were made to the 2011-2012 model years and they don't seem to experience the consumption that the earlier model years do.

The steering rack leak is concerning. I would pass this particular car up if thats the case as it is an expensive repair.

Otherwise, these are reliable cars and with regular maintenance with the CORRECT fluids you should see long service life.

Oh, and to comment on the VTC actuator noise, my Accord makes the noise on occasion. I had the original one replaced under warranty with the new, updated part. It too rattles on occasion. I am not worried about it as so many have the issue and still seem to make it to high mileage.

Did CRVs have the same oil consumption issues for those years? A mechanic I used to work with when I was a service advisor bought one off a long time customer of his. He had always serviced it and the old guy took meticulous care of it. He never noticed oil consumption although there was a leak of some kind that had to be fixed at some point. But soon after he bought it he noticed it burning a qt in like 500 miles. He had no idea it was using that much. The old guy must have been topping it up.

I have a 2012 2.4 EX-L coupe and love it!! It reminds be of riding a two stroke dirt bike,once the engine hits the power band,it takes off like a rocket and never seems to run out of power.

Yep, like any VTEC Honda once you hit enough revs the power is there and remains there all the way to redline.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Yep, like any VTEC Honda once you hit enough revs the power is there and remains there all the way to redline.

I do love this about the K24, and other Hondas as well. The sad thing is I don't often get to ring it out since I live less than a mile from work, however when I do it sure sounds good!

This engine does sound good when you leg it and the power is right there all the way to redline.
This is always a surprise and delight if you don't do it very often.

Just a bit low in power at low rpm even my 300HP VTEC Acura MDX.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Just a bit low in power at low rpm even my 300HP VTEC Acura MDX.

Just like every one of the first nine Hondas we've had. You need some revs to wake it up.
Doesn't apply to the Hybrid since it has the instant torque that only an electric motor or a steam engine can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back