New 2 Stroke Equipment - Oil Sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! I've been running a mix of 40:1 to 32:1 mix in my Stihl trimmer since I bought it new in 07'. Last year I bought an inexpensive Toro blower to blow off the driveway of grass and leaves, but ever since new it has never run exactly right (hard to get going and bogging/heavy smoking after an idle). Even worse when I would use a little extra oil in the mix. Yesterday I bought an inexpensive Ryobi 16" chainsaw and had a heck of a time getting it to start/run when cold. This makes me think with the newer "emissions" equipment are not tolerant to anything over 50:1. I always use 93 octane and treat it along with using Klotz Benol Castor oil. I know that oil does produce a decent amount of carbon/smoke, but it runs excellent in my old trimmer. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Should I just go to using a 50:1 mix in everything, or maybe go with a different oil?

I have always had to adjust the carb on most ope. Most of the newer stuff have limiter caps , some you can remove, some like my husky 390 chainsaw, you cannot.

Check and make sure the spark arresting screens in the muffler are not plugged up.

I would start with fresh fuel mixed like you plan to use, and try adjusting the carbs. Just don't go too lean.

I've been using the amsoil sabre at 40:1 in my stuff, and it does not smoke much at all.

Last edited:
klotz benol is incredibly dirty and made to protect much harsher conditions...klotz super techniplate would be much better for you as its 50/50 benol/techniplate...much cleaner...
i have run the klotz st in everything for years and even it is way overkill..

I have a Hitachi leaf blower with a 2-stroke Tanaka engine that seems real picky as of late. The manual recommends 89 octane fuel with a 25:1 to 50:1 mix. I've noticed if I mix near the richer side of that range that is has difficulty starting when it's not fully warmed up. It will start fine, first pull when cold with the choke, but if you shut it off before it's good and warmed up and attempt to restart it, it's rather slow to start and choke doesn't help. I once had to pull the plug and heat it with a lighter to get it going again. I don't have this issue if I mix closer to 50:1.

I've settled on mixing 40:1 for all my equipment, which includes a 2-stroke generator, Echo string trimmer, and Hitachi (Tanaka) blower.

Originally Posted by CT8
Could it be the low end equipment?

That surely doesn't help. My better two stroke gear has always ran better than cheap gear. 32:1 also seems to be extreme overkill.

I run 40:1 or 50:1 in everything.. I used G-oil for years.. lately in my better equipment.. echo red armor.

You are ruining your cylinders with scratches running that much carbon producing over abundance of oil. You think you are benefiting your equipment by running extra oil, the opposite is true. And as you are finding out, newer equipment has limiter caps and is set to run EXACTLY at 50:1 - no deviation. Many wont run at 40:1 at all.

Get rid of the dirt bike oil and run a FD rated oil at 50:1 in everything that is not a dirt bike. Modern small engines dont need, or want, 32:1.

When I had my small engine shop I saw FAR more problems with people running 32:1 oil in their equipment than 50:1. Like 10 times more. People think more is better. Not today. Not with todays oils. Running 32:1 for extended periods of time kills equipment and shortens its life span perhaps as much as half.

Buy the premix cans at walmart for $4.97 for the chainsaw, assuming you are not bucking trees with it and only use it occasionally.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Small-En...s-and-Stratton-5-in-1-Additive/161599122
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Factor-Parts-2-Cycle-Multi-Ratio-Premix-Fuel-1-US-Quart/43093371

Originally Posted by justintendo
klotz benol is incredibly dirty and made to protect much harsher conditions...klotz super techniplate would be much better for you as its 50/50 benol/techniplate...much cleaner...
i have run the klotz st in everything for years and even it is way overkill..

Justintendo might be correct that your oil choice, which is designed for high performance racing engines, does not work well in today's outdoor power equipment. Increasing the oil mix to 32:1 probably exacerbates the problem.

With today's two stroke oil 50:1 is the way to go on all late model engines and most older ones too.

Originally Posted by CT8
I run 32 to 1

You cray cray
13.gif

In modern 2-strokes, there's nothing wrong with 50:1

If it's a very seldom used tool, buy the canned fuel for $5 and save a lot of headaches later.

I would use a full synthetic 2-cycle oil such as Amsoil's Saber or Craftsman 2-cycle Oil (made by Warren distribution) with at least a JASO SB or SD rating. These oils have low deposit and low smoke formulations.

I recently acquired a Remington 25cc engine head (MTD) for Multi-Attachment use with an Edger attachment and it specifies a 40:1 mix and it works best at that ratio with a synthetic formulation.

I also have a garden tiller with a 43cc engine that specifies a 50:1 ratio and it too prefers a 40:1 ratio with a synthetic oil.

I determine the preferred ratio by listening to the engine and watching its exhaust.

If I hear the engine making a high-pitched popping noise (short explosive sounds), the mix is too lean (too much fuel). If after the engine is hot and it still smokes, the mix is too rich with oil.

Thanks for all the replies and info! I only had a little bit of the old fuel/oil in my can so I dumped what was left in the truck. Had some 50:1 mix that came with the saw and using that and fresh(ish, local station is questionable) it appears that all my problems with the blower and new saw are gone. I was trying to use up my Benol I had used in my RC car days, but it looks like it's not suitable for my newer/cheaper equipment. I know I should have got a better saw and blower, but for as much as I use it there was no sense (to me) to spend a whole lot.

Not so, with 32 to 1 being too much oil, it's not, and with a quality oil, more does not produce more carbon. Often times, the use of very rich oil mixtures results in very little carbon buildup.

If you are using gas with ethanol, you are likely trending towards lean on A/F mixture. I use VP Racing C-9 fuel in my OPE. No ethanol and excellent storage qualities. It does result in a touch more power.

Originally Posted by johnD2
I know amsoil recommends saber at 100:1 or 80:1...Will it gum things up at 50:1 ?

No, because the synthetic oil components combust without producing gumming deposits.

As per my suggestion above try a small amount at 50:1 and then try a small amount at 40:1 and listen to the engine and observe the exhaust.

Quite frankly, I have never had ANY 2-cycle engine that ran well on 100:1 or 80:1 ratios with ANY 2-cycle synthetic or mineral oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

I determine the preferred ratio by listening to the engine and watching its exhaust.

If I hear the engine making a high-pitched popping noise (short explosive sounds), the mix is too lean (too much fuel). If after the engine is hot and it still smokes, the mix is too rich with oil.

I would say that if it runs lean...there is too little fuel in mixture?
smile.gif
Typo?

I would rather describe that sound as sound you can hear when you turn on a electric coffe grinder...and that sound is sound of death
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back