OEM AC Delco vs Fram - Big Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family is getting ready to trek to Destin for vacation and last night I went to change out my OEM air filter on my '01 Burb. It has 49K on it and I decided that it was time.

I purchased a Fram CA8756 as speced by Fram catalog. I proceeded to pull out the OEM filter and then compared it to the Fram filter. I immediately noticed big differences. The gasket on the fram was square on the corners where the OEM was round. The air box corners are also rounded, so don't think the square filter corner will work well.

But the biggest difference was in the filter element itself. The OEM AC Delco had many more pleats than the Fram. While the Fram's paper was thicker, it had many fewer pleats. I actually counted all pleats on both.

OEM AC Delco: 120 pleats
Frame: 70 pleats

Frame had 42% less pleats than the OEM AC Delco.

I wonder if the aftermarket AC Delco's are the same as the OEM's.

It would be interesting to see which ones do better at stopping dirt.

As a matter of fact I'm about to find out. I still had the OEM AC Delco in my car up until near the beginning of this oil interval, and changed it to a Fram. I'm going to be changing my oil next week and will send a sample for UOA (of course!)
smile.gif

Check out a Napa Gold. I experienced the same thing with my Mazda Miata OEM. Less pleats than the one from Japan original in car. Napa Gold had the same number of pleats as the original about 100. OEM from the Mazda dealer has about 60.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Check out a Napa Gold. I experienced the same thing with my Mazda Miata OEM. Less pleats than the one from Japan original in car. Napa Gold had the same number of pleats as the original about 100. OEM from the Mazda dealer has about 60.

I will give them a try. The Chevy dealer wants $31 for a new filter! Ouch!!!!

The Baldwin air filters seem to be a pretty good air filter. Next time my girlfriends Mustang is up for a new filter, or my Ranger, I think this is what I'll be getting. That or maybe an Amsoil one.

offtopic.gif

If you haven't been to Destin, FL before it's great. Grandparents have a condo down there during the winter. Don't know how much cash your willing to blow, but if your willing to spend a little, defintitely eat at Harry T's and McGuire's; both have great food and a great atmosphere. Especially try the crab soup at Harry T's, it's without a doubt my favorite soup!

Man, I think it's time for a Destin trip.....
smile.gif

Have fun!!!

Chuck

Never bothered to count pleats. I have noticed though that the fiber media that Puralator uses is a closer match to the tufted /fluffy fibers that Toyota's OEM filters use. I had to get a fram last time for my car and was not to thrilled about it's design.

quote:

Originally posted by chucky2:

offtopic.gif

If you haven't been to Destin, FL before it's great. Grandparents have a condo down there during the winter. Don't know how much cash your willing to blow, but if your willing to spend a little, defintitely eat at Harry T's and McGuire's; both have great food and a great atmosphere. Especially try the crab soup at Harry T's, it's without a doubt my favorite soup!

Man, I think it's time for a Destin trip.....
smile.gif

Have fun!!!

Chuck

Thanks for the recommendations for food. We have been going there every year for about 10 years and love it. I think its the best beach going. The scenery is pretty good there as well!!!

quote:

The Chevy dealer wants $31 for a new filter! Ouch!!!!

Whats cheaper? New filter or new engine.

Seriously, people will spend $40,000 on a new vehicle and balk at spending $30 on a filter or $6 for a qt of oil etc. Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me.

Find an AC Delco dealer, it may be a lot cheaper in price. Dealers have huge markup, its not uncommon to find it for 1/2 price. Seems dealer pay more than a AC Delco dealer.
patriot.gif

[ August 07, 2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

4 years ago I went to a K&N filter and used it for over 80,000 miles. I kept a factory filter in the house so that I could pop the K&N out for cleaning and oiling and have a filter while the K&N was drying. Well I switched out the K&N for a new factory filter with my new motor. What a huge difference in quality. The new filter is far superior to the ones Volvo was putting out 4 years ago.

quote:

Seriously, people will spend $40,000 on a new vehicle and balk at spending $30 on a filter or $6 for a qt of oil etc.

A good point, but it's also foolish to spend extra for something that you can't prove is actually better, or if you can find a product of the same quality for cheaper. But after comparison of Fram air and oil filters to other brands, I'll definitely spend the little bit extra for the other brands!

I checked the Baldwin electronic catalog for heavy duty GM air filters and they gave the same part number as the light duty. The Wix and Napa Gold heavy duty air filters are about half the AC Delco price at the dealer. They appear to be a both a good fit and good quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back