Maserati Quattroporte feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte with a ZF transmission. V8 and 30k miles.

Does anyone own that model and how do they like it?

My old finance manager had one. He liked it quite a bit, but he did caution by saying that once the feeling of owning a Maserati wore off, he wished he had looked at other cars that he could've gotten in that price range. It was a blast to drive, no doubt. As far as maintenance, I couldn't tell you as that wasn't his daily driver.

The Ferrari engine is supposedly bullet proof.. I looked at some used around me too. 20 grand for a 110K car with beautiful construction inside and out = plus that ferari engine sound!

Too heavy for the motor though ….

Timing belts every 30k. Pads and rotors each axle can easily be 12-1500 at a shop. I believe we did front and rear pads and it was over 1000$ with sensors. They may be able to be had cheap, but keep in mind these were designed as ultra luxury cars, and the people buying them when new were also able to afford the maintenance. They are also not very reliable compared to more common luxury cars, even BMWs, and there aren't many shops out there that have the Ferrari/Maserati scanner programs so you'll be stuck at the dealer and their 250+ hr labor rate for most things. Oil changes are about 250 as well. The only aftermarket parts place I know of is Ricambi America, otherwise its dealer only.

maybe 15- 17 $$ FOR THE FERRARI filter otherwise 10w40 Qsud OR 5W40 QSUD acea IS WHAT many maser DEALERS USE.

I amost pulled the trigger on this but the AT was the killer for me.

Rather have a the stick GT 2+2 - same motor,

All these types of cars can be bought for cheap, Astons, Jag XKR, etc but they come with a catch. You have to know how to work on it and have a supplier for parts at real prices not like the $2500 for an Aston muffler alone. They are not as bad as all out super cars but...
You do not shade tree or cheap out these cars, the buggers will come back to do a stealth raid your wallet quicker than they can do 0-60.

Lease it and give it back and lease another.

I have no direct feedback on that particular model, however, before you pull the trigger make sure to factor insurance. When I bought the Alfa I also was tossing around the idea of a used Maserati, I looked into insurance rates and the Maz was almost 3x the cost of the Alfa. That was a deal breaker for me, an extra $300 a year for the Alfa is understandable. An extra $850 on the Maz was not.

My cousin had an older one. He owns a Exotic auto repair shop. All I can say is they are Italian.

Originally Posted by Trav
All these types of cars can be bought for cheap, Astons, Jag XKR, etc but they come with a catch. You have to know how to work on it and have a supplier for parts at real prices not like the $2500 for an Aston muffler alone. They are not as bad as all out super cars but...
You do not shade tree or cheap out these cars, the buggers will come back to do a stealth raid your wallet quicker than they can do 0-60.

Lease it and give it back and lease another.

Couldnt agree more. I have friends who bought used luxury and enjoyed it for a bit til they realized they were better off with something less luxurious , cheaper to maintain.

Keep in mind FCA owned a substantial part of them in 2008. Look up the reviews on YouTube, Doug Demuro did one and pointed out all the electronics, door switches, interior trim pieces in the Maserati that were strait from the FCA parts bin. They sounds good but are pretty "Meh" other than that. From all the reviews I read/watched, they are heavy for the power they have.

Last edited:
Apparently the Maserati QP is awful. Build quality on par with Tesla, and of course the famous Ferrari reliability. The expensive upkeep of a Ferrari but without the performance.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I'm thinking about getting a 2008 Maserati Quattroporte with a ZF transmission. V8 and 30k miles.

Does anyone own that model and how do they like it?

Cue all the BITOG "experts" who can't even spell "Maserati" advising you to buy a soul-crushing appliance...

Originally Posted by MCompact
Cue all the BITOG "experts" who can't even spell "Maserati" advising you to buy a soul-crushing appliance...
I'm surprised no one has recommended Camry or Accord yet.
smile.gif

I was expecting Crown Vic PI or Mercury Marauder recommendation since they are "sporty" and luxurious.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by MCompact
I'm surprised no one has recommended Camry or Accord yet.
smile.gif

Litany of likely problems down the road:
- Tendency to have logic modules do funny things based on battery undervoltage;
- Trunk opening mechanism goes south;
- Suspension has ball joints on front A arms and I believe on the rear suspension components. Not individually replaceable. They wear out quickly;
- Tends to really eat rear tires and brakes; a lot of weight bias on the back suspension;
- Engine has an oil pressure accumulator in the vee... and that is used for the cam phase variators. They go out;
- Cam phase variators on intake cams... wear out. They have a factory fix... but it is 'real expensive. Auto Trans cars are the worst... All cars after 2007 are A/T;
- ZF 6 speed trans... apparently very reliable;
- When Maserati started to fit A/T into the cars... in 2007 - they found that the 4.2 litre engine was smallish... and weak for the bottom end torque. 4.7 litre cars would be better;
- Many, many logic modules;
- All of the A/T cars are wet sump... and I think the water pumps, then, are NOT integral to the oil pumps. This should be checked. The combo oil pump / water pump is $;
- Interior switches go "gummy" like the Ferrari's. Ugly mess;
- Steering wheel top-of-column tends to develop a gaping mouth, versus the centre of the wheel;
- The leather on the B pillar trim gets "barked" by the seat belt metal piece; same with the rear seat console corners;
- Piping on the leather seats - I believe, fashioned out of leather, gets rubbed by seatbelts and worn-through;
- Generally the interiors are very, very delicate;
- Most cars have the Skyhook automatic shocks... $$$ to fix;
- Very expensive to keep on the road;
- The ZF Automatic cars are not as engaging as the automated-manual cars (DuoSelect), i.e. 2005 thru mid 2007 for the latter... but the Duo Select are really expensive to keep on the road;
- Duoselect cars can have very, very short clutch life.

Sorry to cool your jets... but the Maser is a car for an individual who truly has a wrench in their back pocket (oh... mebe not... it'd damage the seats!) and really, really has a love for complicated Italian machinery. If I ever bought one (no I won't, I'm not gutsy enough!) - I would only buy a DuoSelect one. Masochistic....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drtyler
I was expecting Crown Vic PI or Mercury Marauder recommendation since they are "sporty" and luxurious.

crackmeup2.gif

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back