Towing with MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you tow 5000 lbs 20 miles with a V8 with 20% MMO in the oil? Excess wear potential?

Last edited:
Not unless i was back in 1985. MMO back then did help keep engines clean. But its just not necessary today. I use to use it back then.

What grade oil is in the sump with the MMO mix? 5W30, or "thicker"? It should be just fine for 20 miles.

Sure. Just don't expect anything special out of it. More revs higher is about all you will get.

Yes, just don't go on the freeway.

It's only 5,000 lbs.... that's not a lot.

If it's a local towing, just use backroads and keep your foot out of it.

It seems you may be asking to assess the risk to your engine. Why take the risk at all?

Personally I wouldn't. There are a lot of factors though. Towing 5000lbs with my 83 Caprice with a 150hp 305 V8 would be working it pretty hard. Especially if there is hills and a lot of stop and go or high speed. But if you had a 6.0gm truck 5000 lbs is going to feel like nothing so it's probably not much different than driving around unloaded with MMO in the oil. I've used it a couple times years ago even though I didn't really have a problem I was trying to solve. I would only run it for a short drive around town or just up the road before an oil change.

Originally Posted by Silver
Would you tow 5000 lbs 20 miles with a V8 with 20% MMO in the oil? Excess wear potential?

If you do I want to see a UOA thereafter to see if it increases wear metals that we can see.

I actually put it down the cylinders of the gm 5.3 I plan on putting in my Caprice one day. It has unknown maintenance history and the oil was very dark when I bought it. I'm hoping it soaking into the pistons will clean out the ring packs over the years or two it sits on the engine stand. (actually I think it's been almost 2 years now).I turn it by hand every now and then.

If you've been driving around with it in your engine so far, I don't think 20 miles while pulling 5k will make a difference if that's what you're asking.

Last I looked (3 years ago), MMO's site suggested going up a grade if 20% of MMO is used in the oil. Hopefully you did this from the beginning and if you didn't, I suggest you change it.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I actually put it down the cylinders of the gm 5.3 I plan on putting in my Caprice one day. It has unknown maintenance history and the oil was very dark when I bought it. I'm hoping it soaking into the pistons will clean out the ring packs over the years or two it sits on the engine stand. (actually I think it's been almost 2 years now).I turn it by hand every now and then.

Have you topped up the cylinders since you first added it? If not It might be a good idea to do so.

If the tow vehicle is rated to pull 5K ,why not?
27.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Have you topped up the cylinders since you first added it? If not It might be a good idea to do so.

Slow piston soak, would you use something other than MMO or is MMO (kerosene) ideal for that?

MMO is THIN and the one time I put it in one of my engines (97 Suburban 350) it made the engine MUCH noisier - and that was only about 1/2 of the small size bottle. Would you fill your tow vehicle with 0w-16? No... then don't put MMO in. Keep in mind many owners manuals specifically state that for towing you should use thicker oil. I'm not a "thick oil" guy but towing is hard on the vehicle and thinning out the oil is about the last thing you want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back