2016 2017 2018 Ford Focus 2.0

Hello,
I am thinking about buying a Ford focus either new or used.

How is the focus with the 2.0 engine? Transmission? any reliability concerns Thanks

The Focus is a nice package, handles well, solid engine. But avoid the 2.0 liter engine with the automatic (dual-clutch) transmission at all costs. As a former owner I can confidently say this gearbox was poorly design, poorly executed and not really supported by Ford. During my 45,000 mile ownership period I went through 2 clutch packs and countless reprograms and it still wasn't right. And clutch pack replacements out of warranty aren't cheap at $1,500 or so.

I don't believe it's gotten much better and, with Ford getting out of the car business and discontinuing the Focus, whatever support was there will be gone.

Can't comment on the 2.0 since I just bought a 2018 1.0 Ecoboost. I did that to avoid the Powershift transmission and am very pleased with the car. The 3 cylinder drives and handles better because the front end is lighter. Also the transmission it comes with is better than the Powershift, at this point I think just about anything is. Manual is an option for you, which is fine and reliable if you don't mind rowing your own.

The one I looked at had the 6 Speed Automatic Transmission. I don't think newer ones have the powershift transmission, but I may be wrong

Yep, if it says "Powershift", best to avoid it. Sad, very sad that Ford has still not really owned up to it. They should have cancelled that thing a long time ago.
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Can't comment on the 2.0 since I just bought a 2018 1.0 Ecoboost. I did that to avoid the Powershift transmission and am very pleased with the car. The 3 cylinder drives and handles better because the front end is lighter. Also the transmission it comes with is better than the Powershift, at this point I think just about anything is. Manual is an option for you, which is fine and reliable if you don't mind rowing your own.

The Focus is one of the best handling cars around, seriously. My 16 Focus Electric has a balanced front/rear weight distribution, and it handles incredible. Control Blade rear suspension, other Euro handling suspension parts does it.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Yep, if it says "Powershift", best to avoid it. Sad, very sad that Ford has still not really owned up to it. They should have cancelled that thing a long time ago.
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy

The Focus is one of the best handling cars around, seriously. My 16 Focus Electric has a balanced front/rear weight distribution, and it handles incredible. Control Blade rear suspension, other Euro handling suspension parts does it.

I am right now looking at a 2018 SE Window sticker. Here is what It has 2.0 TIVCT GDI I-4 6 Speed Automatic Transmission. No mention of Powershift.

My catalog is showing a 6F15 6 speed automatic option for 2018 but does not tell me what engines it is matched with.

EDIT: It looks like the 6 speed automatic comes with the 1.5EB which is not a good engine in my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
My catalog is showing a 6F15 6 speed automatic option for 2018 but does not tell me what engines it is matched with.

EDIT: It looks like the 6 speed automatic comes with the 1.5EB which is not a good engine in my experience.

Thanks for the info. I hope Ford is not misleading customers by omitting the word powershift. The fuel efficiency of the one I am looking at is 26mpg 38mpg

Originally Posted by Billy_D
oil_film_movies said:
I am right now looking at a 2018 SE Window sticker. Here is what It has 2.0 TIVCT GDI I-4 6 Speed Automatic Transmission. No mention of Powershift.

On the Ford official website, if you try their "Build" feature, it says an SE either has a 1.0L Ecoboost engine, or the 2.0L engine as the choices, no other engines available for the SE model. .... And it says you can only get the Powershift automatic with the 2.0L. ...The 1.0L Ecoboost clearly comes with the other (good) automatic. (A manual tranny only is offered on the 1.0L ecoboost in SE trim.)
I'm guessing Ford dropped the word "PowerShift" from the window sticker because of a world of bad PR on that name.

Summary:
Focus SE: 1.0L: Manual or good automatic.
Focus SE: 2.0L: Awful powershift is the only transmission offered.

Last edited:
The 2.0 engine is a good engine. If that's what you want, you need to get a manual transmission. The Powershift (DCT) is junk.

Note: If you get a Focus S model (not the SE, an "S"), you have only one engine available, the 2.0L, with either a 5-speed manual or the awful powershift automatic.

The Focus is fine if you get the manual transmission
smile.gif

I have a 2014 Focus SE with the 2.0 and the 5 speed manual (MTX-75)…...it has been totally trouble -free and is a vey nice car to drive handling wise.
I did the 'snorkel delete' and the clutch feel/drivability improved dramatically.....I wouldn't recommend the DSG...to much trouble...

I've been considering another Focus since the 07 we had.

Problem with the Lex is the rear seats don't fold for the skiis and snowboard.
We usually rent when going on highway trips, but it seems like the snow has started early this year (and more accumulation) making dedicated snows almost a necessity.
Since most rentals are not equipped with them, I'm kinda considering going back to a Focus (hatch this time).
If that's the case, only the manual will do. I'm not going older than the current gen, and I refuse the powershift nonsense

coffee2.gif

I'm at 61,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with the 6-Speed manual. Flawless so far. Zero regrets on buying it. You can do 50 MPG on a road trip almost every time if you keep it under 60 MPH.

Handles well, comfortable on long trips and quiet.

I just did a comprehensive service on mine. Oil/filter (MC FL910S, trans fluid (MC DCT fluid), brake/clutch flush, coolant (MC Orange), Spark plugs (MC Iridiums), Serpentine belt (MC)

I'm really bummed the 4th Gen Focus isn't coming to the USA. The reviews out of Europe are stellar. The new Focus ST will probably be amazing. Nearly 300 HP(?), lighter, even better chassis, much bigger back seat, much higher quality interior. It looks great too.

C3CBD2EC-68DD-4710-8E56-2AB6111FCF2E.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365

I'm really bummed the 4th Gen Focus isn't coming to the USA. The reviews out of Europe are stellar. The new Focus ST will probably be amazing. Nearly 300 HP(?), lighter, even better chassis, much bigger back seat, much higher quality interior. It looks great too.

And most importantly, it has a real automatic transmission, not that stupid DCT [censored]

Originally Posted by E365
I'm at 61,000 miles on my 2015 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost with the 6-Speed manual. Flawless so far. Zero regrets on buying it. You can do 50 MPG on a road trip almost every time if you keep it under 60 MPH.

Handles well, comfortable on long trips and quiet.

I just did a comprehensive service on mine. Oil/filter (MC FL910S, trans fluid (MC DCT fluid), brake/clutch flush, coolant (MC Orange), Spark plugs (MC Iridiums), Serpentine belt (MC)

Does look pretty good...

Back