transmission fluid and filter exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Caddy XTS with 40,000 miles. Manual says change tranny fluid and filter at 90,000 miles.
I think that's too long. I only use fully synthetic. Any thoughts as to when to change tranny fluid and filter.

I'd change it now, this way all the break in metals are removed, rather than waiting until 90K miles. FTR I did mine a lot sooner than that.

I would do it all now, then just a drain/fill (if possible on that vehicle - I imagine it is?) every 30k. This works well on several different vehicles I maintain this way.

I'm with now and every 30k as well. Maxlife ATF, or if price is no object, Amsoil. I just drop whatever comes out on the drain and replace like amount, no full flush on my Odyssey, but I do basically one gallon every other OCI (between 15-17k).

Do it now. Waiting til 90,000 may net you having to repair the transmission. Maybe not but I don't take that chance. New fluid is way cheaper. Mine is so easy to drain and refill I do it once a year. Total capacity of my fluid in the automatic transmission on the truck is 14 quarts. A simple drain and fill gets out 4 quarts. So once a year the 4 quarts replenish the chemistry in the transmission.

My transmission pan didn't have the drain plug on it so I was doing it every two years. Last time I took that pan off I changed the filter and replaced the pan with one with a plug. So now it is just so dang easy to dump and fill. I'm thinking I will maybe take the pan off every five years to replace the filter.

Do it now, then I would do it again in 50K as you will most likely only change about 1/2 the fluid with a drain/refill then at the 90K intervals the manual calls for.

Now, install a drain plug if not equipped, drain and refill in two years. Repeat again in two years if you still have the Caddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back