Aussie Jandals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can call them whatever you like, but they have always been, and will always be Jandals in New Zealand. Someone gave me these the other day, horrible things made in Australia. Xtreme Outback Clutch, anyway, a freebee. The thing on the sole ? I've tried it, and it works.

WP_20181102_18_51_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
"Jandals"....interesting to find out where THAT came from! In the US (at least where I am) we call them flip-flops, after the sound they make while walking.

Happy to add to the thread, from my own extensive collection...firstly a selection of various imported and domestics.

The latter were a promotional item having bought the brand of oil in question

20181102_215450.jpg

20181102_215516.jpg

Last edited:
A little more dressy...
I wore these to the Halloween street party

20181102_215532.jpg

Last edited:
Now for the customs...

The ones on the left, I actually bought a few pairs of flip flops in Anthem Arizona at Walmart, 0.89c per pair IIRC (actually it was a full 89c, or $0.89 if Billt460 is paying attention).

I had an unfortunate incident walking through a field of goat heads in Albuquerque in the orange set...unfortunately not enough margin of safety with regard to asperity contact (intrusion)

We got to Waikiki, and the whole family bought these "sandals" that had "yoga mat". I scoured the ABC shops for a yoga mat and a box cutter, as I wanted Yoga Mat Sandals, and for not $38US.

Failing badly, I bought superglue and box cutters, and made "flip-flip-flop-flops" by hybridising two pairs of thongs (that's what we call them) into a single, unique pair...family was asleep, and in the morning, I walked them into the Sanuk sandal shop wearing the flip flip flop flops, sitting on their faux washed up boat and advising the sales staff on how to do it. Particularly as the Walmart flip flops had a nylon (my guess) reinforcing ring around the plugs...it all held up.

Pair on the right are a pair of thongs which I liked the tiger motif, but had worn down. No room for a regroove, so I found an appropriately sporty "gator" at the side of the road. Image is everything in footwear, and treadpattern is sexy.

So I peeled the tread off them (hard work), manufactured a clamping jig, and made those using contact adhesive.

20181102_215638.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
"Jandals"....interesting to find out where THAT came from! In the US (at least where I am) we call them flip-flops, after the sound they make while walking.

Yep .

Flip-flops, hate em. Own 1 pair I wear going from showers to camper when we stay in a campground.

Had to LOL when Shannow mentioned goatheads. These things are one of God's inventions that you can only wonder why....

Good only for flatting bicycle tires, stopping a dog in his tracks with a foot up, or thinking you stepped on a nail in the middle of the night when one fell off a shoe on the floor and you find it with bare feet. Never heard of then until we moved here. The one in the pic hasn't broken apart yet into 4 or 5 separate little bits of misery. The other pic is what his flip-flops looked like after walking through a patch. Their geometry guarantees a point always is straight up.

biking_flatprevention_goathead.jpg

CIMG5661.JPG

Grew up calling them thongs. Totally different meaning today. Had a buddy tell his two boys he bought some "thongs" for them from Costco...should have seen their faces.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Grew up calling them thongs. Totally different meaning today. Had a buddy tell his two boys he bought some "thongs" for them from Costco...should have seen their faces.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
They're considered pretty dangerous, not good for your feet. I don't own any.

https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/flip-flops-bad-for-feet/

https://share.upmc.com/2017/06/flip-flops-foot-problems/

https://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2017/08/11/flip-flops-dangers.aspx

You really do fall for that stuff hook line and sinker don't you.

bare feet, the thing that got us through hundreds of thousands of years of evolution are dangerous as your feet are exposed and "oh that arch support"...lucky we made it out of the caves without that arch support.

Seriously, anyone who claims that what's essentially bare feet is dangerous should be laughed out of whatever community they are prophesying in...

Yeah, I didn't wear shoes until I went to high school - my feet took a hammering, but only came out stronger. No one has picked up on the thing in the sole - it's a bottle opener, choice bro. The original Jandal is still Made in NZ.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/10...ew-model-in-50-years-with-a-velcro-strap

I don't like those aussie ones because they are plastic, the real Jandal is rubber, and the strap has 3 ribs, like these.

[Linked Image]

or a swirly design like these.

[Linked Image]

Not the best moment, when walking down a steep slope in the rain...and the toe piece rips out of the sole.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Grew up calling them thongs. Totally different meaning today.

They're still known as thongs in Australia - the underwear you guys refer to as a "thong" is a g-string here, or more often a "g-banger". Seriously!

Also known as butt floss here especially the swimwear version.

I grew up knowing the cheap plastic / rubber sandals as thongs, anything more sophisticated design such as leather, tire tread sole, etc. in such footwear construction were sandals, and typically didn't have the plastic plug that went between the big toe & next toe that thongs had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back