Beans: how do you prepare and cook them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally love black eye peas, lentil soup and ham and bean soup. I enjoy black beans with some neighbor fresh smoked ham hock and or bacon and onion diced fine.

I know they are great source of iron, potassium and i believe protein.

And gas
smile.gif

I "look" the dried beans (Pintos or Great Northern white beans) for dirt and pebbles, rinse the beans, dump the beans into a big pot with plenty of water, add a ham bone, bring to a rolling boil then reduce the heat to a gentle boil for 4 hours or until the beans get happy. Some people soak their beans overnight but I don't. Along with some corn bread with the fall off the bone ham and home made chow chow, delicious!

Originally Posted by Inked
Prepare? Soak them in water overnight to greatly lessen the gastric issues.

Good sir: does adding a small tea spoon of vinegar also help?

Thank You

Originally Posted by gman2304
I "look" the dried beans (Pintos or Great Northern white beans) for dirt and pebbles, rinse the beans, dump the beans into a big pot with plenty of water, add a ham bone, bring to a rolling boil then reduce the heat to a gentle boil for 4 hours or until the beans get happy. Some people soak their beans overnight but I don't. Along with some corn bread with the fall off the bone ham and home made chow chow, delicious!

My dad does this with his enamel ware coated dutch oven
wink.gif

Dried beans have massive quantities of alkaloids (the beans don't like animals eating them), so they really SHOULD be soaked overnight.

Soak them and cook them, no problems...just cooking, few problems are likely.

(can use the soak water as a flea treatment for your dog)

Originally Posted by gman2304

I prepare mine this way also, but I do soak them overnight.

I love butter beans cooked with a slice of ham hock, salt pork, or streaked meat. Some times I will throw in a whole peeled sweet onion.

All the beans I cook I fast soak. I rinse them good in a strainer, and then do the fast soak for one hour. And no I don't pour off the fast soak water because I like flavor in the pot, and not down the sink drain.

Apparently you're supposed to refrigerate them as you soak them overnight, otherwise they ferment.

I like to buy a few thick slices of ham at the deli and throw it in diced.

Soak & drain, followed by pressure cooker these days to reduce time required to cook them. Nothing like a good pot of pinto beans like I grew up with, but Mom spent all day simmering them.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I personally love black eye peas, lentil soup and ham and bean soup. I enjoy black beans with some neighbor fresh smoked ham hock and or bacon and onion diced fine.

We like all of the above. If you like lima and butter beans you should try fava beans as well.
If you roast a whole turkey, bring the bones and scraps to a boil in a large stock pot and then simmer for a few hours.
Use this stock to make split pea or lentil soup. Comes out with a really nice flavor.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

We like all of the above. If you like lima and butter beans you should try fava beans as well.
If you roast a whole turkey, bring the bones and scraps to a boil in a large stock pot and then simmer for a few hours.
Use this stock to make split pea or lentil soup. Comes out with a really nice flavor.

Yeah, i usually get a whole chicke , cook it in my dutch oven and save the homemade broth and freeze it

When I lived in rural Louisiana I was 20 minutes away from the Blue Runner factory. Locals used their cream style red beans for quickie red beans & rice and throw on a smoked sausage for a fast supper, when they didn't have time to spend cooking the beans themselves.

Insta pot, 10 minutes under pressure then drain and rinse. Cook for another 40 mins or so under pressure. Pinto beans, 57 cents a pound. Beans and rice can be a super money saver and an easy to microwave lunch for work. Your choice of seasonings but i've had good success with thai curries.

Originally Posted by dareo
Insta pot, 10 minutes under pressure then drain and rinse. Cook for another 40 mins or so under pressure. Pinto beans, 57 cents a pound. Beans and rice can be a super money saver and an easy to microwave lunch for work. Your choice of seasonings but i've had good success with thai curries.

Very good. I do rice and beans with some low sodium v-8 and chilis peppers and banana peppers with ground Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back