Fram vs Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to buy a new air filter for my Corolla. I checked both the Fram and Purolator, and the Fram is constructed way way better than the purolator! The purolator has much fewer pleats, the seal is tiny and sucks, and the pleats at the end of the filter are far and few between. Had to go with the Fram on this one; even the filter media was thicker/puffier and of better quality. Sheesh, you really got to do your homework now adays to get the job done right.

I experienced something with a Fram airfilter that I'd never experienced with any other brand. During a very hard rainstorm here in the southeast part of the country my intake system drew in some water. The water saturated a corner of the airfilter and when it dried the filter media shrunk and caused the filter to warp inside the housing. This allowed a huge gap to appear inside my airbox between the filter and the housing. I unfortunately drove my car for over a month with it in this condition.

I've never seen any other airfilter media shrink from getting wet in this manner.

I think, based on what I have learned at this web site, that I would try to get Baldwin or Wix air filters instead of the Purolator or FRAM. There have been some people here who have found that the Baldwin may be the best paper element air filter for providing air flow. Wix is apparently close behind (NAPA Gold and CarQuest Premium are Wixes). Hastings air filters are probably about the same as Baldwin.

I sent an email to Purolator asking if cardboard endcaps are used on Purolator oil filters for my car. He kind of travelled around in his answer. He said that no Purolator PureOne oil filter has cardboard endcaps, but he did not answer me directly about Purolator Premium Plus for my car.

I personally do not like the idea of cardboard endcaps for oil filters. And when I compared air filters from various makers, there was a difference. If you look carefully you can see quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back