Toyota oil.

Having trouble these days with Toyotas setting DPF codes and in limp mode. We seem to be able to do a manual over ride on the Hi Ace, but not the Hi Lux with our scan tool, the Hi Lux is not supported. We send them off to Toyota, and the first thing they ask is what oil has been used. So, when servicing them still under warranty, we are using genuine oils and filters. No indication of who makes it....must be done in the Toyota oil refinery.

WP_20181031_11_37_18_Pro.jpg

There is nothing wrong with Toyotas, they are the most reliable motor vehicle in the world. If this was happening to a Mitsubishi every forum on the internet would be ripping them to shreds. We just don't want Toyota having any excuse to blame us for a DPF fault.

Don't think Toyota has their own oil refinery. They just buy it from other oil producers.

So, what is the question? We are mostly in the US and somebody in your neck of the world may be able to chime in but everything will probably be a speculation unless that person is working for Toyota there.

Sorry for being not very knowledgable.

Last edited:
No, I don't believe you're suposed to be using Toyota oils while the vehicle is under the new car warranty. When we bought our new 2014 Tacoma, the dealer offered 2 years free oil changes and used "bulk" oil, not Toyota branded, not synthetic, etc. After the 2 years was up I used PP and M1 so far. Just keep the receipts for the oil and filter.

Originally Posted by anndel
No, I don't believe you're suposed to be using Toyota oils while the vehicle is under the new car warranty. When we bought our new 2014 Tacoma, the dealer offered 2 years free oil changes and used "bulk" oil, not Toyota branded, not synthetic, etc. After the 2 years was up I used PP and M1 so far. Just keep the receipts for the oil and filter.

This is the law in the US, the law in other country like New Zealand where OP is located, may be different.

Just saying. We cannot apply what we know here with other countries.

Not saying the car cannot run with other brand of oil, just a condition in other countries are different in terms of their warranty law.

Those are some cool containers Silk.Everything is plastic in the States. Funny thing though, they are written in English. I would've expected it in Japanese. But, I understand it's for a certain market. Hope you are able to mitigate your problem Silk. Best of luck.

The tins have come home with me, to join my Dia Queen 4 litre tins - I'll get rid of those plastic containers in time. It's obvious to me and Shannow - when we talk about a Toyota Hi Lux, we are meaning diesel engines...they don't them in petrol here, because no one would buy one.

We don't have a problem, Toyota have a problem. Watch the video...they are using lawyers to keep the lid on this.

Last edited:
It wasn't my job, I just saw the oil being used, but, yes, I think it was. Of course we can use any brand of oil in them, but as we all know at BITOG, it has to be the right stuff. If someone uses 15W-40 HDEO, then Toyota can back out. If we use their oil, they have to find another reason. I see C2 on the can, but I don't know if that means ACEA C2. We had a Hi Ace in a few weeks ago with a DPF code...we just got it to do it's thing with our scan tool, but we can't do it with a Hi Lux....it's off to the dealer for them.

Wow, didn't realise the HiLuxes and Prados were suffering DPF issues! We have a few in the fleet at work, no problems with them that I'm aware of. Our fleet is mainly Rangers - never had a DPF problem with them. (EGR coolers are their downfall).

I think the latest 200 Series Cruisers have a switch so the driver can do a manual regen...maybe all Hiluxes, Prados, etc need to be retrofitted?

Those oil containers are interesting. Seems they come from the US as litres is written as "liters".

Maybe your ones meet the regen targets...I know when Mitsi first had DPF, they had to do an update to lower speed and time, our speed limit may be 100kph, but to do that for 50kms in this country is seldom doable. Although Tassie would be closer to NZ connditions than mainland Aussie. Yeah, Cruisers have a switch for regen.

My identical Dia Queen tins are almost all Japanese writting, so I think they must've used Google to translate, that would've given them the wrong spelling for litre. They are certainly Japanese tins, and say Made in Japan.

Originally Posted by Silk
Maybe your ones meet the regen targets...

That's the thing, most of the time they wouldn't. Lots of idling at job sites, short trips, etc. And I can assure you they definitely aren't serviced using genuine Toyota oil. My company ute is a Ranger, so I'll ask some of the Toyota drivers if they've had problems.

It seems like the Japanese haven't jumped on the low-SAPS bandwagon for their DPF/SCR-equipped engines. I wonder what would happen if you used an globally-available API CK-4 or ACEA E9 oil - low SAPS content would probably be easier on the DPF/EGR unless Toyota is pulling a Ford and requiring high-SAPS oil for wear concerns.

Back