Need help with hm oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wifes 2013 equinox 2.4 awd. Is burning about 1 qt every 1-1.5k. Its a 5 qt sump. I want to use a oil that will slow consumption. It has no warrenty. Would prefer to stay in the 5w30 range. My choices where pphm, red bottle maxlife blend. Qs defy hm syn. Currently using pp with 1qt of mmo as a top off. I have about 1k left on the oci. I wanted to do 3k oci and a oil filter change every other Oci. What do u think to slow down consumption? Also has no leaks and it has 111k miles. The gm lea motor is a know oil drinker. Its also di so the oil always smells like fuel.

Last edited:
What octane fuel do you use? It would be interesting if going from 87 to 91 or 93 would reduce fuel dilution which could reduce oil consumption.

Originally Posted by CARJ
If you went back to the stock tune, would that slow consumption?

It did not increase with the tune

Going to a 10w30 could be a good start? There is no gain with a 5w in much of WA, even in winter.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Going to a 10w30 could be a good start? There is no gain with a 5w in much of WA, even in winter.

I was thinking that. I cant figure out how to find the thickness of oils on there websites. I was trying to find a thicker 30wt syn. I would like to stay with sopus products or valvoline.

Ditto
Some of the 10W30 synthetics have an outstanding NOACK and would be a good choice for an oil burner

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Ditto
Some of the 10W30 synthetics have an outstanding NOACK and would be a good choice for an oil burner
do u know the noack of 10w30 pphm? Or maxlife

The Noack for pp used to be on their website, you can check there. It was good as I recall. M1 doesn't publish that, unfortunately. However:

Having run hm pp, M1 hm, and maxlife fs in different hm vehicles, the M1 10w30hm was always noticeably less usage. Until tomorrow, it is $12/jug rebate. Makes it cheap to try it.

Originally Posted by Dylan1303
So my wifes 2013 equinox 2.4 awd. Is burning about 1 qt every 1-1.5k.

That seems crazy high for a 5-year-old vehicle with a little over 100k. There has to be more to this.

based on my experience, I don't think evaporation is the MAIN cause/source or contributor to oil consumption in older cars ... I've used different oils with about %4 noack differences in the same car and didn't notice any significant oil consumption or "burning" or reduction. It may be another semi-overrated parameter for old cars! Granted that I've had limited experience/experimentation with only 2 older cars ... equivalent to "it didn't blew up"
grin2.gif

If oil goes past the seals then low noack can't help much! Isn't it like over 2000°F out there
shocked2.gif

GregD is on the right path, here. HM oil swells seals. Makes a slow leak into a seep. Makes a seep stop seeping. Won't help much with burning oil. Trade in the vehicle on something else. Sounds like that MMO isn't helping.

Couple months ago my younger brother stopped by and his 2012 Equinox was making a racket. After more than a quart it started to show on the dipstick. His oil life monitor was showing plenty of life left. We didn't have time so I told him to get it changed immediately. Then I went online and see they have major oil burning issues

Originally Posted by Leo99
GregD is on the right path, here. HM oil swells seals. Makes a slow leak into a seep. Makes a seep stop seeping. Won't help much with burning oil. Trade in the vehicle on something else. Sounds like that MMO isn't helping.
it used alot more when i added the mmo

Originally Posted by Leo99
it used alot more when i added the mmo

It's not surprising it uses more oil when you added MMO. MMO is a 10W with a flashpoint of 160F and it thinned your oil. MMO VOA

Well it used about 1 qt in 1500 so i topped it off with mmo now 1k later it used another qt. Topped off with pp. I plan on changing it at 3k or so.

If mine was burning that much I wouldn't change the oil. Just replace the filter at the required intervals and top the oil up.

What's your reasoning for not wanting to go to a thicker oil?

If you've checked there's no leaks, checked/cleaned/replaced the PCV valve and maybe soaked the piston in something like Kreen to make sure the oil scraper rings are free then maybe a 15w40 HDEO is your next best bet.

So my wifes 2013 equinox 2.4 awd. Is burning about 1 qt every 1-1.5k. Its a 5 qt sump. I want to use a oil that will slow consumption. It has no warrenty. Would prefer to stay in the 5w30 range. My choices where pphm, red bottle maxlife blend. Qs defy hm syn. Currently using pp with 1qt of mmo as a top off. I have about 1k left on the oci. I wanted to do 3k oci and a oil filter change every other Oci. What do u think to slow down consumption? Also has no leaks and it has 111k miles. The gm lea motor is a know oil drinker. Its also di so the oil always smells like fuel.

I would shop for quality 10W40, even if it meant having to buy it online and having it shipped to your front door. Then watch consumption drop in half and the viscosity still remain respectable for Washington State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back