2002 Honda Odyssey advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a "beater", are getting this for free, and like the condition otherwise, Im not seeing how throwing a $2500 transmission at it, either prematurely or when the time comes, is a big deal.

After all, if you can purchase a highlander limited and Z71 SLT full size pickup, a $3500-$4000 repair should be a drop in the bucket. After all, that's all it is going to cost you to have a working van, and it will be good for another 130k or so...

Its as easy as if you really want a van, and its a good known quantity, do it. If you arent sure, then sit on it a month and decide based upon use. If no, then sell asap...

Originally Posted by gregk24
I would be tempted to keep it as a "beater". I don't know why some of the transmissions last and some don't, but some seem to need a trans every 60K and some go 250K on the original.

What I've read and heard is that if the Odyssey was used for towing then the tranny will fail. If Granny drove it and never towed or hauled large loads then I would be tempted to keep it.

Headlights will clean up easily using Meguiar's Plastx or headlight restoration kit. Easy to do drain/fills on transmission. New fluid will have a positive effect on shifts. Look for leaks to transmission and engine. Honda had a problem with V6 block casting porosity. The camshafts have a position sensor on the end. As the camshafts end clearances loosen, the gear will contact the sensors. Engine shuts down. Our 2004 purchased new had the above problems. We will never buy another Honda or recommend dealer due to deception. Sell yours before it costs you big $

That is not actually grandma's van right?

Is the van nice? Did grandma service it, does it need anything (tires, brakes, timing belt, struts...) Which time level is it?

It its nice and doesn't need much I'd be tempted to keep it, I agree if it is nice and well cared for it would be worth more than 2K here.

I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions, I'm still mulling it over. Just to address a few of the questions posted:

- We do not need this van. As someone already pointed out, we have two relatively new cars that are paid off. If we kept this van it would really just be a hobby for me (a beater/something to wrench on).

- If we actually needed this van I would have no problem dropping the cash for a new transmission, but since it's just for fun I doubt I would replace the transmission if it goes.

- This is not her actual van, just a picture of one that is the same year and color. Hers is in pretty nice condition and has always had routine maintenance done. It will need to get detailed but everything is in good shape.

- No one else in the family wanted the van so I offered to take it.

I'm leaning towards keeping it for a few months and seeing how much I use/enjoy it and decide whether to sell it at that time (an idea I had not considered before this thread).

With regards to the transmissions the only ones I have seen that have had issues were internal bearing failures and they were quite noisy for a while before they failed. Almost sounded like a bad wheel bearing but from under the hood area. There is only 2 that I can recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
With regards to the transmissions the only ones I have seen that have had issues were internal bearing failures and they were quite noisy for a while before they failed. Almost sounded like a bad wheel bearing but from under the hood area. There is only 2 that I can recall.

From what I've read, the bad bearing only affected the 4 speed transmissions. The 5 speed suffers from from overheating which either:

1. The third clutch pack wears prematurely and clogs the passageways in the transmission with clutch material
2. Second gear overheats and breaks due to insufficient lubrication which locks up the transmission entirely (hopefully not at speed)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JEL01
Yeah but I'm in Seattle, the land of the $17k 12 year old Tacoma with 200k miles.

If it's any consolation, Toyota pick-ups probably go for the same price around here. They are always very expensive (I attribute it to being [censored] good vehicles and in high demand).

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by StevieC

From what I've read, the bad bearing only affected the 4 speed transmissions. The 5 speed suffers from from overheating which either:

1. The third clutch pack wears prematurely and clogs the passageways in the transmission with clutch material
2. Second gear overheats and breaks due to insufficient lubrication which locks up the transmission entirely (hopefully not at speed)

It's possible. These were some time ago and they were warrantied at the time but my dad did diagnose it for our friends that had the issue.

This is easy.

You don't want the van. So sell it.

If you want a vehicle to "wrench" on, buy one that appeals to you. Get a Fox body Mustang, or a Corvette or an 80's BMW, a Beetle, an old MG, or a Delorean... Why mess around with a minivan?

I think minivans are great, but I only like them because they fit my needs very well. Otherwise, I wouldn't care to own one.

Perhaps keep it a month or 2.
Service the heck outta it.
Check tires, brakes, etc.
Get it in top running condition.

Give it to a family in need.

Originally Posted by brages
This is easy.

You don't want the van. So sell it.

If you want a vehicle to "wrench" on, buy one that appeals to you. Get a Fox body Mustang, or a Corvette or an 80's BMW, a Beetle, an old MG, or a Delorean... Why mess around with a minivan?

I think minivans are great, but I only like them because they fit my needs very well. Otherwise, I wouldn't care to own one.

I don't know where you got the impression that I don't want it. I might be weird, but utility vehicles appeal to me more than high performance vehicles. I would love to keep this van, my only concern was if I keep it and the transmission dies immediately, I'll regret that I didn't sell it.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by JEL01
Yeah but I'm in Seattle, the land of the $17k 12 year old Tacoma with 200k miles.

If it's any consolation, Toyota pick-ups probably go for the same price around here. They are always very expensive (I attribute it to being [censored] good vehicles and in high demand).

Yeah they are and it may not have been the best example, pretty much everything here is like that, everyone in Seattle must think they're special and what they have is gold plated

There are 6 areas of concern on Odysseys from this era...
1. The transmission, which you know about. If it hasn't already been replaced, which would be HIGHLY unusual for an Odyssey with 130k miles (even if it was regularly serviced), it is living on boroughed time.
2. The A/C system. It is notoriously problematic on Odysseys from this era, and very expensive to repair.
3. The timing belt. If it has been replaced you are alright, but if it hasn't, it needs to be done immediately.
4. Motor/transmission mounts. If they haven't already been replaced, at 130k miles it probably needs them.
5. The power sliding side door(s), if equipped. They are also notoriously problematic on Odysseys from this era. Fortunately, the door(s) will still function manually when the power assist system fails.
6. The brakes have a tendency to warp rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back