Toyota 5.7L, 0w-20 noisy, STP to thicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a used Toyota Tundra Platinum with a high mileage 5.7L 3UR-FE. This truck has over 150,000 miles going between Arizona and the pacific northwest (snowbird) and looks nearly new. It will *not* be a daily driver; just when I need a truck. Toyota.com online service history shows great dealer service visits, mileage, and dates. Toyota wants 0w20 syn in this four cam motor, and is OK with 5w20 syn with their VVTi system. I changed the oil first time after my new to me purchase and used 8+ quarts (yes it specs 8) Mobil 1 0w20. Those four cams are super noisy with 0w till it warms up...even starting at 70F. It was cold dead silent upon purchase and right up until I changed the oil. It is not uncommon to put 5w30 in these trucks, so that is what I suspect was in it. I live in Idaho, so teens/rarely single digits cold, but not Alaska cold. 5w will flow down to -30C, we likely won't hit -10C, so I got no problem going to 5w20.

I will definitely change to M1 5w20 HM next OCI.

So here is my question. I want to thicken this brand new 0w20 to cut the cold start noise (and cold start wear). It went from dead silent when cold, to a four cam rattle trap after M1 0w20 was put in (OEM Toyota oil filter). I was thinking STP Synthetic oil treatment or a bit of M1 80w90 gear oil. What say the group?

Strange

When it warms up the oil is thinner not thicker. Thinner oil get up through passages better to quiet the top end down. Thickening the oil should make it worse.

If you have the old oil you could get a UOI to see what viscosity it was.

you might try a different brand. Mobil 1 is "reported" to be noisy in some engines. Pennzoil platinum, TGMO, or Castrol Magnetec are known to quiet engines down.

you could try a lucus, STP oil thickner but you wont know if it was the additives or viscosity that fixed the noise. Maybe swap out a quart or two for a quart of 10W-30.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use STP or Lucas oil stabilizer even if I was trying to blow up the engine.

I say give Mobil 1 5w-30 HM a try.

Drain the 0w20 and then add
Mobil 1 0w40,M1 high mileage 10w30, or Castrol Magnetect 10w30

Don't bother with STP or 0w20 questions.
the engine will run awesome.

. There is no difference in oil filling the passages up top between a 0w20 and a 15w40 as long as the oil is above its minimum pumpability temperature.

I would lean towards magnetec for the cold start.

On another note you my want to get the timing chain tensioner inspected.timing chains have been known to lengthen with long term use of lower viscosity oils.

Last edited:
Just throw this in.

17D69930-94C0-4244-8844-147CD9E2AD8A.jpeg

I'll second the suggestion of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30.

Originally Posted by LS_Powah
It was cold dead silent upon purchase and right up until I changed the oil.

I keep going back to that observation. I'm not convinced this is a 0w20 issue or a Mobil 1 issue. I'm wondering if some shenanigans were in play to sell you a vehicle. Along the same lines as putting sawdust in the differential.

I'll bet as well the dealership had some heavier oil in it. Swap out the current fill for 5w30. Do you know someone that can use the oil coming out?

I'd use a 5w30 or 0w40. Never any gear oil in motor oil. STP is old way to get VI improvers in, like making oil 10w40.

Mobil 1 oils tend to run thin for stated weight. I run Mobil 1 0w40 in a BMW n20 2.0 turbo, and RX8 Mazda

Originally Posted by LS_Powah
Picked up a used Toyota Tundra .... It will *not* be a daily driver; just when I need a truck. What say the group?

Don't worry about the noise...... for now. Just drive it.

Next time you change the oil, get whatever 15W-40 diesel engine oil you can fine cheap and fill it with 8 quarts of that.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Just throw this in.

If you want the job done right......do it yourself.

This combined with your signature is quite scary. You should repost this tomorrow.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The term of thicker has different meanings . Thicker oil, now what does that mean exactly? You can only pump so much through all those oil channels guys. If you want thicker oil, try about straight 60 or 80 wgt oil, lol...You see, thicker oil does not mean its gonna get through those passages, it can only handle so much and its not going through there like it looks when it pours out of that bottle, just saying, but in our mind it does,,imho.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Just throw this in.

If you want the job done right......do it yourself.

This combined with your signature is quite scary. You should repost this tomorrow.
laugh.gif

Haha. The OP is asking how to thicken his fresh 0w20 oil. Instead of being anal retentive and dumping his oil, he can mix in a small amount of high viscosity oil. (STP). It's no big deal.

Last edited:
Don't use any STP or Lucas type thickener.
This will only dilute the add pack in your new oil.
If it was my car I would change the oil with any namebrand 5-30 and keep the same filter on it.
Save the drained oil for top offs or put it in something else.
If you want thicker oil just go up in viscosity.
And never use gear oil in an engine.

What I would do if it was mine. Go to Walmart tonight and grab some PP or QSUD (those are two legendary quiet and smooth oils) in 5W20 (since that's a manual allowed oil) and change the oil.

Ditch the Mobil 1 and I'd bet the noise goes away! Their latest oils from the last 10 years or so have been known to cause excessive valvetrain noise and other issues. Pennzoil syns are MUCH better oils in every aspect.

Put some Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in that truck and watch how well it likes it
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back