Bought a Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went car shopping today. Wife wanted an FJ Cruiser. Test drove a burgundy one. Broke down on the test drive! 2nd time in my life I had to call the place and tell them to come get us.

Walked away from that one.

Found another 100 miles away. It's light blue.151k. little high priced and they won't budge on the price,grrrrr.

Ended up with it anyway. Seems pretty clean for an 11 yr old car. Ran fine on the trip home. Got lots of paperwork with it. It's had several alignments and 2 alternators which concerns me a little bit.

Cabin filter is dirty,air filter fair. Dealer did an oil change with who knows what oil and a Chinese filter.book says 5w30 preferred but 10w30 ok. I have gallons of 10w30.

No trans dipstick but I want to service that as well as the axles,transfercase etc.typical stealer fashion they charged us for an alarm system it already had and locking lugnuts I didn't want anyway oh well.

Wife likes it so hopefully she is happy.

Let's see some pics!

My dad's 07' has gone through 2 alternators, the first time he had the dealer replace it. This second time we did it this summer with a Denso, pulled out the old one and it was an O'Reilly's remanufactured alternator! No wonder it didn't last long, they probably charged him for an OEM one. They're pretty easy to replace.

The stick shifts are known for a bad throw out bearing, his was replaced under warranty. Other than that, everything is original at 130k miles. Down to the coolant, spark plugs, and driveline oils. Runs great despite his major neglect.

Only pic so far.

Screenshot_20181028-214714.png

If you have the VIN, I can check the dealer service history for you. But you can do the same using the Toyota Owners site.

I read that the near vertical windshield is a real rock magnet. What engine is in yours? My family has had good service from many Toyotas since 1971 (Celica). All at least 250k up to 500k (87 Corolla). 245k and counting on my 01 Tacoma. Still like new.

20180429_154259.jpg

Originally Posted by The Critic
If you have the VIN, I can check the dealer service history for you. But you can do the same using the Toyota Owners site.

I have a car fax. Would the dealer one show more?

Originally Posted by rekit
I read that the near vertical windshield is a real rock magnet. What engine is in yours? My family has had good service from many Toyotas since 1971 (Celica). All at least 250k up to 500k (87 Corolla). 245k and counting on my 01 Tacoma. Still like new.

I think they all came with a 4.0L v6.

It's too bad they didn't keep the FJ model. They are really cool looking vehicles and a welcome change from some of the ***** stuff on the road today.

Congrats on the purchase!
thumbsup2.gif

I have a friend that bought one new. He still has it and is pushing 400k miles. He is a stringer for the local news stations and drives it all day. Love the color.

Triple wipers always has me doing a triple take ….pun intended
Following up on snag's note, a retro fit back up cam might be worth considering, I like the one's that have the monitor integrated in the inside rear view mirror.
Found one that also had the auto darkening feature for night driving. Unfortunately, it left with the crashed Sonata.

Congrats, bud! How much did you spend???

//

My dad had one be in the mid-to-late aughts (Maybe '06 or '07, I think). I don't recall him having to do anything to his for the short time he had it (he trades vehicles in every 60k miles or so.) His was green and looked really good. The dealer talked him into getting the monster truck package (or whatever they call the lift kit and knobby tires.) lol

I remember coming home to visit, not knowing he had traded in his Tacoma, and seeing this giant monster truck in the front yard, under a shade tree. I pretended to come in with panic on my face and yelled, "DAD, someone parked Grave Digger on your front lawn!" He abashedly replied simply, "I know, I konw," then explained how he was convinced by the dealer that the lift kit was a "must have!" He's 6'4" and 250#, so it fit him, actually.

He loved that he could hose out the interior, though he never did that.

He also loved the mash the go pedal and get up to the speed limit as quickly as possible (he does this with every car he owns).I was impressed with how quickly that big vehicle got up to speed.

I also thought the gauge cluster was really cool, and everything was laid out nicely.

Nice, congrats on the purchase. Change the cabin air filter, change the oil and throw in a good filter - Fram Ultra, wix or NAPA Gold.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by The Critic

I have a car fax. Would the dealer one show more?

Yeah make an account at the Toyota Owner's site and put in the VIN, it'll show the service records in a lot more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back