Honda Power Equipment Oil

tvl

I just purchased a Honda generator. I had planned on using Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic oil in the unit. But, after some research, it appears Honda offers their own oil that is supposedly better suited for power equipment ……………… something about a special additive package for the unique needs of power equipment applications.

I don't mind paying the extra price for their oil if it's worth it (about $9 per quart), but isn't a premium oil such as Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc. just as good. Or, have I missed something? Your comments will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Run the Honda oil for break-in then switch over to Mobil 1

+1 This.

Be more concerned about the gas in Honda OPE than the oil. They don't like ethanol. Stabil Marine every fill up.

Last edited:
I have an EU2200i, and I ran Honda oil for the first few hours. What I did was initial fill with Honda oil and run 20 minutes then change... Then change at 1 hour then at 3 hours. Then I changed to some very high quality Group III, which is probably as good or better - specifically a quart of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W-20.

That said, ti's going to Mobil 1 next.

Other than that, I run it about 20 minutes a month. Be sure to use stabilized, ethonol-free fuel storing it with the tank full. I always turn the fuel off and let it die. Then I empty the foat boal. Finally, I pull the rope until it is tight (valves closed) for storage.

Every quarter to half year change the gasoline. I use an inexpensive TERA pump I got from Amazon. Basically, I pull the strainer and pump until the tank is empty into a gas can then dump it in the car. Head to the gas station to buy fresh ethanol free gasoline and stabilize it. I dump that in and run for 20 minutes.

Keep in mind Most Honda Generators are 10W-30, so that's what you probably want to use. I wouldn't go to thicker oil without a reason though it would probably run it just fine. If you have no consumption etc... why not run the recommended SAE viscosity?

10w30 is a good oil for normal operating conditions, but when it's 100 degrees plus outside and the generator is running for a week straight under heavy load and the oil temp is 250 plus degrees that's another story. In fact, many small engine manufacturers have began to recommend thicker grades such as 20w50 oil.

I'm waiting for Cujet to chime in. He's blown up a few honda generators using the recommended 10w30 oil in south florida during hurricane season.

Just go buy some HDEO Rotella/Delo 10W30. And change the oil every 50 hours of use. Which means you have to change the oil every two day use, if you are using it constantly in the summer (hurricane outage) for example.

Store it empty of fuel. Run it out of fuel, then store it.

And yes, if its for summer time use, I would look at 15W40, for constant use. No downsides to the thicker, more robust oil at all, and it burns off slower.

Thanks for the replies!

I just contacted the dealer from which I purchased the generator and ask if it were important that I use the genuine Honda oil. He stated that any good brand would suffice, but they filled everything that left the shop with Kawasaki oil. Kawasaki oil has zinc which they feel is an important additive that most other oils don't have.

So, what do you folks feel about an oil that has zinc? Is it really better? I would like to get more educated on this one!

Thanks!!!!

I have used M1 10-30 for at least 25 years in all my OPE with never an engine showing any signs of wear, unusual oil consumption, or noticeable loss of power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tvl
So, what do you folks feel about an oil that has zinc? Is it really better? I would like to get more educated on this one!
Zinc is a common anti-wear additive in motor oil. See https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf. Mobil1 10w30 has 900 PPM zinc. Some oils specifically designed for OPE have more, but I don't think it necessary for a Honda motor. For what it is worth, I run Rotella T6 5W40 HDEO in my generator.

"something about a special additive package for the unique needs of power equipment applications"

They all say that. Any oil with a small engine name brand on it, Kohler, Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki, John Deere, etc will all have that wording. It's just marketing, the oils are not any better than anything else. I wouldn't pay $9 a quart for Honda branded oil, it isn't any better than anything at WalMart.

I own all with Honda engines 2 Wheel line movers, a Honda HRC lawn mower a pressure washer 4000 psi a lower end Honda mower and a 6.500 watt generator. I run 5W-40 HDEO oil in them and up to 10% ethanol gas with out stabilizers or any other voodoo, no problems over the up to 18 years I have owned then. The 2 strokes the same gas with what ever 2 stroke oil. Frequent oil changes and maintenance are the secret.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I'm waiting for Cujet to chime in. He's blown up a few honda generators using the recommended 10w30 oil in south florida during hurricane season.

Ha, me too.

He has converted me. I have long been a fan of Mobil 1 15w-50 oil but Cujet's experiences made me a true believer. It's not the perfect oil, no oil is.

But in an OPE application it is hard to beat. The only downside to me would be cold weather starts and those can be mitigated.

I have a Honda EU2000i and use old school Delo 400 SAE 30 for normal use. ‘Straight weight oil' No multi-viscosity in my ambient temperatures.

No VII to worry about. High Zinc, High Phosphorus and HTHS of atleast 3.7 or more.

If I ever needed to use my generator in a hurricane type situation, running 24/7 in hot weather then I would use Delo straight grade SAE 40.

If I lived up north in really cold temperatures and had to use the generator in that type of climate then I would use Rotella T6 5W-40.

My 2 cents.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only 26 hours of use since new. I installed the hour meter to the battery charger wires. (DC 12V) I added a kill switch so I can burn off the gas in the carb. I only use non ethanol fuel with any stabilizer available. (Sea Foam or Stabil) also added an Iridium NGK plug and magnet oil dipstick. Plus the anti-theft steel handle. Might be overkill but I guess that characterizes us Bitogers! Good luck on choosing your oil.

Back