Best stop leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on a true beater. 05 F150 with the 4.2 v6 and 200k miles. Just limping it through a few more miles of college for the step daughter and will replace once fixes no longer are affordable (eg engine or trans poops out).

Right now it leaks oil from multiple spots badly. Tried stop leak in the past without improvement. What is the most aggressive off the shelf option out there? It's specd for 5w20 and I run 10w30 currently. Don't much want to get thicker especially with winter coming.

You might try Blue Devil, but I'll bet your worst problem is the front main seal in which case it might be worth putting on a sleeve and new seal if you had the time and a place to work on it.

First, make sure the PCV valve and crankcase breather line flow air freely

If all else fails, just keep dumping good used motor oil in it.

I ran an old late 60's Chevy 283 for *YEARS* keeping it topped off (constantly) with used oil from other vehicles.

Originally Posted by buck91
Working on a true beater. 05 F150 with the 4.2 v6 and 200k miles. Just limping it through a few more miles of college for the step daughter and will replace once fixes no longer are affordable (eg engine or trans poops out).

Right now it leaks oil from multiple spots badly. Tried stop leak in the past without improvement. What is the most aggressive off the shelf option out there?

Have you tried any of the High Mileage oils? They have seal conditioners that, after some time, can reduce oil loss.
Originally Posted by buck91
It's specd for 5w20 and I run 10w30 currently. Don't much want to get thicker especially with winter coming.

Then run 5w-30. It's the same weight oil as 10w30, except on cold startup.

ATP AT-205 reseal has worked well in the past in engines and transmissions. Just put some in my daughters Grand Prix and it seems to be working. You can get it on Amazon

Well, I ended up trying out the blue devil Rear Main Sealer for now real reason other that I didn't want to spend $20 on the most expensive option on the shelf and I figured the cheapies, well you get what you pay for. Poured it in, it was a fairly thin, clear liquid. I'm assuming maybe esters and other such seal swelling agents? Well, we shall see if it works for anything. Ran the truck for about 30 minutes after adding it, and another 20min today. It will probably be parked for a while before it goes back into service though.

Let us know how it works.
I for one want to know, that's how we learn.
Hope it works great for you.
smile.gif

Would love to hear an update on this. We sell this at my work, and my 2010 Soul just started leaving quarter-sized spots when parked.

Liqui moly motor oil saver at napa. The only car I ever used it on was an 04 Taurus that had a rear leaky valve cover, bad enough that you could smell it and see the smoke when it hit the manifold. I'll be darn but it stopped it in a hundred miles or so and never returned. The rear valve cover was a pita so I figured why not and it actually worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back