My dad wants a new Jaguar F Pace, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad wants a new SUV and he has always wanted a Jaguar. He is retired, puts about 8K a year on a car and buys something new every 5 years.
Given what he's owned in the past, I don't think he's overly concerned about reliability and the vehicle would probably have less then 50K on it when he
gets rid of it.

BUT, he lives about 85 miles from the nearest Jaguar dealer.

I told him he should consider an Acura, a Lexus, something with a dealer not 85 miles away.
He is interested in the 3.0L V6 Jaguar F Pace.

Anyone know anything about the F Pace or what special customer service Jaguar has when you break down 100 miles away from the nearest dealer?

My sister had her '08 G35 since it was new and I bought it from her ~9 months ago. She bought an F-Pace herself. On her list were SUVs from Audi, Acura, Infiniti, etc and I tried my best to steer her towards the Japanese models, given that she's always driven Hondas, Toyotas, and then that Infiniti. I don't know of any concerns but I'm very curious of her thoughts after a few years.

She lives in Columbus OH and there are 2-3 Jaguar dealers so sorry, can't help with your question about 'service'. This page just says they'll tow it to the nearest dealer and no fine-print is indicated there. Doesn't mean that's the final word on that, of course.

Most of these premium makes have a free towing service that will tow you to the nearest facility. Also, for regular service, some dealers will send someone to pick up the car from your driveway and bring it back after it was serviced, so you don't have to - might want to ask that Jag dealer if they offer that, given your dad's particular distance.

I like the F Pace, but I wasn't overly impressed with that supercharged V6 sound. I drove an XE with that engine, and it just sounded very mechanical - as if it was running without oil. It was weird. Kind of an opposite of a "well oiled machine."

Also, have your dad check out Alfa Stelvio, if he hasn't already, but an Alfa dealer may be even further away.
smile.gif

As long as the road side assistance will cover the mileage and they will pick-up/drop-off the vehicle for service or shuttle him to/from home when he brings it in for service then I would say go for it.

Dad should get what he wants.

Nothing cures the "want" like finally getting that aspirational ride.

Lets hope it doesn't spend too much time on a flatbed.

UD

For 5 years and 8k/year I would not even worry about it. You let him know your feelings.

I own an Acura because I drive longer term and they are soooooooooooooo boring compared to the Euro equivalents in class. The Lexus is actually worst but comfy. The Lexus/Acura are not lookers at all.

Having your Jag towed to the dealer for repair is part of the pride of owning a fine Marque.

As a very general rule, Jaguar cars and SUV's drive nicely. They put effort into good driving dynamics while retaining good comfort, for a very nice blend of the two , so they make excellent daily drivers. Jaguar products typically fall just short of BMW for outright performance and road holding. I much prefer driving Jaguar vehicles to Acura, Lexus or Infiniti. Not because the interiors are better, they are not. But because they are fun to drive.

The supercharged V6 is quite an engine.

In the early 80's my local Datsun dealer was exactly 72 miles away
Not a Jag but towing was free and no big deal for a glow plug
AAA is really cheap after the warranty and the top plan is still cheap
If pop is old- no better time than now to splurge
A good son would buy it for him
smile.gif

I though t the Porsche Cayenne was the aspirational SUV. v8 or TTv8

maybe a VW Porsche just Off lease re- lease?

Do they have a program like that?

Or a Nice Landy if he wants the British "reliability"

______

Back in 2001, I talked my Dad into a Lexus ES300 instead of a BMW Roadster or a Camaro Z 28 convertible as his last car for reliability reasons.

He should of had the Z.

The Lexus was Junk.

Many Problems and just a Mehhh car as are most all Toyotas Ive driven

Last edited:
Who are you to tell him what he should or shouldn't get?

I'd encourage anyone to BUY WHAT THEY WANT. It is likely that Jaguar will pick up his F-Pace for any issues or servicing and leave him with a loaner. Easier, I'd argue, than the average dealership experience.

Jaguar Roadside Assistance

When my dad got older, he suddenly became infatuated with the idea of buying a big "work" pickup to ride around in, preferably a dualie. A former employer ended up putting a dualie up for sale and he knew he could get it for a good price.
The only problem was that he lived in a near suburb of Chicago that had very strict parking restrictions...the truck wouldn't fit into his small single garage, so he'd have to park it in his driveway or on the street. His town wouldn't allow such vehicles to be parked on the street OR IN A PRIVATE DRIVEWAY off the street in a residential area, they had to be in a building or on a parking pad off the alley. He lived right near the police department and figured he probably couldn't get away with skirting these regulations, a neighbor had a coffee service and got written up for parking his small panel truck in front of his house. I think that guy started parking his truck in a private parking lot nearby and whoever owned that didn't hassle him about it.
Dad came up with a plan to tear down part of his chain link fence off the alley and have a pad poured. The truck he had his eye on was finally sold, so he started looking for something similar in the want ads. I think he checked into getting a permit for his parking pad somewhere along the way.
He probably talked about this for 5 years before he had a stroke and couldn't drive anymore.

I would have been happy to buy him the truck if he didn't have the parking issue, I knew he had the money for it but was always keen to start paying him back for helping me through college.
It still bugs me that dad never got to have his big truck, he died nearly 20 years ago.

(BTW, I did not steal this story from "Nebraska" with Bruce Dern...)

Last edited:
I wanted a Jag in the worst way. I do believe their quality has improved.
Quality issues , especially electronics worried me.
Ultimately we got a Lexus RX450h and a GS350 F Sport.

If he wants the Jag, perhaps a lease makes sense.
The vehicle should be good for 3 years.
They are beautiful...
Good luck and enjoy your beautiful car.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who are you to tell him what he should or shouldn't get?

I'd encourage anyone to BUY WHAT THEY WANT. It is likely that Jaguar will pick up his F-Pace for any issues or servicing and leave him with a loaner. Easier, I'd argue, than the average dealership experience.

Jaguar Roadside Assistance

Quoted for truth! Well said!

Tulsa Jaguar would retrieve and return cars, if needed, even for just the annual service. I had them do it once, but generally preferred to go to Tulsa with the car and just make a day out of it.

Our has only required an actual repair once - rattly seat belt tensioner and slow fuel sender, all under warranty, performed in a few hours.

Jaguar used to have exceptional customer service for a mid priced car. Haven't bought a new one since '04, so can't speak to their current policies and practices.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I wanted a Jag in the worst way.

I wanted to get my wife a Quattroporte in the worst way, but couldn't work up the nerve, so got her another Jag. Probably my last chance to have bought a Maser; car's just don't interest me much these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back