coolant additive? (instead of change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally have one of my fleet of junk cars working, and i'm sure the coolant is way too many years past when it "should" have been changed because stuff got parked when it broke and that was at least 5 years ago, which was a few years after I inherited it and I wasn't sure when it was done before that. (even if it was immediately before, that's pushing the 7 year limit I thought extended life coolant was good for)

I'm not doing this trying to be cheap right now - I am physically so crippled up I cannot get under the vehicle and don't want to mess around with anything until it's less of a struggle.

I just want everything to run through the winter, so that I can mess with it in the spring. The coolant still tests fine for temperatures, it's just... old. Probably not even too many miles, just old.

Is there something I can stick in the cooling system to maintain corrosion protection and similar so I don't feel I have to instantly change it or is that a bad enough practice to not limp it another 4 months but to pay a shop to do it?

Can you use some sort of fluid pump or syphon to partially drain it, then fill with a proper mix ? That should get you through winter and longer.

I don't think this is going to go with the consensus of opinion but my 2000 MB ML320 (200+k) has never had a coolant change but has had several doses of coolant additive and is still leak free and stays cool even on a long hard pull in the heat of summer

I have purchased "used engine coolant" from the auto salvage yards pretty cheap. ... that might be an option.

My recommendation would be to siphon some out and add new 50/50. Otherwise wait until the spring.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Just until spring? You'll be fine.

Not necessarily because he is in Minnesota which can have brutal winter temperatures and if this coolant is well past due the freeze point could be severely compromised.

... Temperatures as low as −60 °F (−51 °C) have occurred during Minnesota winters

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Minnesota

Albeit these temperature extremes don't happen all the time but if it were my vehicle I would go somewhere and have it changed. I have been to St. Paul in the winter for business and it has been brutally cold that my rental car wouldn't start.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Unless its the old style green coolant there isnt an additive that can be used to correct PH. Balancer can only be used on the green stuff and requires testing the PH before adding the balancer fluiid such as. Baldwin CS5008 BTE Liquid Coolant Additive (Pint Plastic Bottle) Filter

I'm sorry to hear about your physical ailments, bud. It sounds like (and I hope) you're only temporarily laid up.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Just leave it alone.

+1

It sounds like you've got way more to worry about.

//

How will the vehicle be used? Constant hard use; a lot of sitting with a few short trips; etc.?

Ive used RMI-25 in Asian and non Dexcool coolants. My unscientific opinion is it quieted the noisy water pump on the Maxima. Made some kind of sludge float in the expansion reservoir of a high mileage 96 Toyota Camry was driving. Check out the website for info.

Do a partial change, unplug a few hoses and let out between 1/3 or 1/2 of the coolant capacity, and re-fill.
It'll do a lot to renew the corrosion inhibitors.

Or

If the vehicle has a coolant expansion tank, use a hose to siphon the coolant out and refill it with fresh coolant.
Doing that every once in a while, will also freshen up the corrosion inhibitors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back