Lion Air crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early reports state 189 total on board, passengers and crew. Also reports that the pilots experienced trouble right after takeoff and had requested a return to Jakarta.

That's a shame. A top of the line aircraft, this shouldn't be happening. Boeing is no doubt hoping for pilot error at this point.

I feel Boeing learned their lesson with the 787 Dreamliner issues ?? Possibly Pilot error or poor maintenance ??

No matter how new or well built a mechanical object is, Poor maintenance with have negative effects

RIP to all souls on board
frown.gif

Dave

Last edited:
New reports stated the plane had maintenance issues on the prior flight, but was cleared to be put back into service.

Doubt it's anything to do with the airplane. Indonesia only just recently got approval back for their airlines to fly into Europe and the USA (they'd been banned for very poor safety record). They have a history of sucking.

I predict this will come down to some kind of human error on the part of the airline or other local service personnel.

Lion Air, an Indonesian discount carrier, has a history of crashes, many of them fatal, largely due to poor maintenance practices and pilot error. As a result, they were banned from EU airspace for several years.

Too early to tell what's happened here, but I would never fly on Lion Air...

Ever.

It was unclear what caused the crash, although there were heavy monsoonal storms overnight and overcast conditions at the time.

Preliminary flight tracking data from air tracking service Flightradar24 showed the aircraft climbed to around 5,000 feet (1,524 metres) before losing and then regaining height, and then finally falling towards the sea.

It was last recorded at 3,650 feet (1,113 metres) and its speed had risen to 345 knots, according to raw data captured by the website, which could not immediately be confirmed.

While it is still too early to tell, this sounds like something other than an issue with the aircraft itself. Hopefully they can get to the root cause soon and make necessary changes.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Scary. My son is a 737 pilot flying for Delta.

I would guess it is not the planes design because there are lots of them in the air.

News reports there were technical issues with the plane last month but it was addressed. Ditto with not flying Lion Air due to their track record and I would fly a Delta 737 any day.

That part of the world hasn't had a very good track record for planes over the past 5 years.

Lion Air is definitely on the list of airlines I would not fly if there were other options. Their safety track record is abysmal.

Given that it is a new 737-Max it will be interesting to see what the root causes are on this one.

Originally Posted by Danno
Curious on cujet's take on this one.

I'll echo Astro's thoughts. And I'd like to add that a high percentage of crashes are due to so-called "Pilot Error". However, it's good to keep in mind that when an NTSB report claims that "the pilot failed to maintain control" there may be mechanical factors involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back