Frantz Oil Refiner installed on 4Runner

My fittings arrived to finish the plumbing and install of my Frantz Oil Refiner bypass system on my 22RE powered 4Runner.

Oil supply comes from the block via a 1/8 BSP to -4AN fitting to a -4AN line to a tee fitting on the inlet of the filter. One side of the tee feeds pressure to the filter and the other side continues on to an Autometer and OEM pressure sender. Outlet of the filter is also plumbed in -4AN to a return on the cylinder head in the fuel pump block off plate that I drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT and fitted with a -4AN to 1/8" NPT fitting.

I drew a sample after adding the required makeup oil to the system to have a baseline prior to running the system. I will run this until the filter stops flowing and draw a sample prior to changing the filter and diluting with fresh top up oil.

Haven't driven the system much yet but idle pressure is down about 2 psi and in town cruise oil pressure is down 5-8 psi according to my Autometer gauge. It still has plenty of oil pressure to be safe and I haven't been on the highway yet to evaluate. I don't expect highway oil pressure to be affected since it previously went down the highway on the oil pump bypass at 75-80 psi.

Current filter media is Scott 1000 at 74 cents per element.

20181027_142533.jpg

20181027_140934.jpg

20181027_140927.jpg

20181027_140915.jpg

20181027_140819.jpg

20181027_140813.jpg

20181027_134725.jpg

20181027_134041.jpg

More pictures of the return setup. Duplicate picture of the return installed for reference. The return enters the very front of the cylinder head above the timing cover and has a unobstructed return path th the front of the oil pan clear of the crankshaft throw.

20181027_134052.jpg

20181027_134113.jpg

20181027_134725.jpg

Thanks for serving.

Frantz are very cool units and this looks like a well-done install.

Whats your reasoning behind doing this?

Always curious as to hearing why people install external bypasses.

UD

Does Frantz offer suggestions for what TP to use? As mentioned above, there is so much dust and lint in most TP I would be a tad worried about it.

Originally Posted by PiperOne
Does Frantz offer suggestions for what TP to use? As mentioned above, there is so much dust and lint in most TP I would be a tad worried about it.

Yeah - they recommend and sell their media.

Like Trasko.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Yeah - they recommend and sell their media.

Like Trasko.

The company who sells the older design Frantz sells media. This is the newer design sold by Ed Greany and is the update to the traditional Frantz. Ed recommends single ply TP sourced from your local store. The Scott 1000 is a densely wrapped roll and can be used in the new Oil Refiner without unwrapping any material and no need to shove it into the canister. Install the roll on the base tucking in around the edges and push the canister over it, done.

Thanks for serving.

Frantz are very cool units and this looks like a well-done install.

Whats your reasoning behind doing this?

UD

My grandfather used to run these for decades on his vehicles and I was always intrigued. My 4Runner has always struggled with high insolubles even with excellent rated full flow filters at reasonable intervals. So I decided to try out an inexpensive bypass system to see if it would resolve the issue or at least help with the smaller particles in the oil. If it works out I'll extend the oil changes using UOA as a guide.

I will be installing a restricted feed to the filter down to 0.035" to help reduce the flow through the filter as it's a little down on oil pressure with the current setup. The indicated pressure might be a little down because of the way I have it plumbed but without a ton of work in changing the plumbing it's easier to just install a restricted fitting and see if the oil pressure comes up. The pressure isn't way down but I'd like to tweak the setup just a little bit to see if I can bring the pressure back up closer to what it previously was.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I will run this until the filter stops flowing......

You are going to be waiting for a very long time, I believe.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I will run this until the filter stops flowing......

You are going to be waiting for a very long time, I believe.

It will be interesting to see, member A310 has only been getting 2000-3000 miles on his Motor-Guard before it stops flowing for him, so I'll be interested to see how fast it plugs up.

there is so much dust and lint in most TP I would be a tad worried about it.

That stuff is huge, though - like 100 microns. The full flow filter will catch it easily.

Because I want to try to catch the stuff that the full-flow filters cant.

I do notice my oil stays cleaner, longer - though.

Originally Posted by beanoil
Excellent!
One ?
Are you only supporting on one side? It looks like the other ear is not bolted to anything?

Zoom in on the first picture the side closer to the engine also has a bracket that goes down to the inner fender but is hard to see because it's painted white.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
most yodas run 100,000 s of thousands of miles.
whats the gain here?

This one already has a bunch on it. The better question is why not? My vehicle my money, My data collection, my effort. Disagree? That's perfectly fine too. But I'd prefer to keep the discussion on topic. I've already detailed the why behind what I'm doing in a previous post.

20181027_164856.jpg

That stuff is huge, though - like 100 microns. The full flow filter will catch it easily.

So my bypass filter loads up my full flow filter. Sounds logical.

So my bypass filter loads up my full flow filter. Sounds logical.

The way I look at it any dust on the roll is likely to berth filtered and trapped by the roll itself, any that actually does make it into the engine will either be subsequently trapped by either the bypass or full flow next time through either. I'm not concerned at all.

Very nice install Luke, your oil pressure drop is very similar to my 6.4 Powerstroke and should not pose any problems. I'm very interested as well to see how long your filter lasts before it stops flowing. In an attempt to extend my filter duration, I've switched from Kirkland brand to Scott 1000's as well and see if I can get another 1000 miles out of the roll.:)

Back