Metal shavings in my oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2018 Polaris Scrambler 1000 and just recently made it through the break-in period... So went ahead and did the oil change.

Upon inspection of the oil filter, I noticed a couple small metal shavings sticking out of it! The biggest was maybe an inch long.

Should I be concerned? I've heard of shavings being left behind from the machining process. I'm hoping that might be the case here. The engine itself seems to be running fine.

IMG_20181027_160516.jpg

Originally Posted by Linctex
Need more photos of WHERE EXACTLY the debris was located

They were found in the oil filter

With a good magnifying glass, you should be able to tell if it was part of the machining process or
part of the engine.

My guess is that their made of aluminum / but that may not help.

Clean and put in a plastic bag.
Contact the Dealer and begin the documentation process.

Last edited:
Looks like broken pieces of a stamped part?

When I removed the original factory oil filter from my Mazda, there was a large metal sliver caught part-way through one of the oil-entrance holes of the filter. I never found any more metal in its filters, other than occasional particles barely large enough to see without magnification.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Beer can tab. Lol

Yeah, they don't look like shavings

Definitely document them, show your dealer and write Polaris and show them the pics as well. This is completely unacceptable, and, if you keep the unit, they should be adding extended warranty to your machine free of charge.
If they buck at the idea, tell them you belong to many forums and won't think twice about talking/showing what you found. Imo, I wouldn't mention you already posted here or anywhere else just yet.

Good luck.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice, I will definitely document everything.

Thing that sucks is I'm about to put it away for winter storage. By the time I get it out again, the factory warranty will have expired. Hopefully the dealer / Polaris will work with me and not just tell me its normal or something.

Guess I'll find out in the next few days.

That looks like some type of thrust washer and I don't think it is ok in any way shape or form. The dealer should be looking inside that unit and see what has failed because I don't see that being ok in the future

Whatever it is, it's not magnetic. It's also very brittle... The big piece in the picture broke in half when I applied just a tiny bit of force.

At a loss for what it could be.

Whatever it is, it's not magnetic. It's also very brittle... The big piece in the picture broke in half when I applied just a tiny bit of force.

At a loss for what it could be.

The reason I am skeptical, is this is WAY too large to work it's way up the suction port and then through the oil pump gears...

Therefore....

It is 100% impossible this came from inside the engine anywhere.

"it came from in the oil filter" = that means nothing.
I asked a pretty specific question ("where exactly") and got nothing useful for an answer.

Originally Posted by camb
Thanks all for the advice, I will definitely document everything.

Thing that sucks is I'm about to put it away for winter storage. By the time I get it out again, the factory warranty will have expired. Hopefully the dealer / Polaris will work with me and not just tell me its normal or something.

Guess I'll find out in the next few days.

I'm curious with how they will deal with it and what they tell you?

Good luck, and remember to keep us in the loop.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
The reason I am skeptical, is this is WAY too large to work it's way up the suction port and then through the oil pump gears...

Therefore....

It is 100% impossible this came from inside the engine anywhere.

"it came from in the oil filter" = that means nothing.
I asked a pretty specific question ("where exactly") and got nothing useful for an answer.

Apologies, when I took the oil filter off, one piece of the debris was found sticking out one of the inlet ports of the filter. The other was in the oil pan (assume it just fell out when I removed the filter and dumped it, prior to looking)

I am kinda wondering if its just a defect of the oil filter itself.

Last edited:
The first oil change I did on my Polaris RZR I had much larger pieces of rigid foam gasket like material sticking out of my factory filter. No idea what it was or where it came from just glad I got it out of the engine. I always used Fram 7317 ultra guard filters from then on and no problems. Don't buy the factory stuff (filters/oil) it is overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back