Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhi

Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP VW 504/507. VOA from Blackstone Labs.
Code:

Element Conc(ppm)

-------------------------

Al 0

Cr 0

Fe 0

Cu 0

Pb 0

Sn 0

Mo 80

Ni 0

Mn 0

Ag 0

Ti 0

K 0

B 214

Si 3

Na 4

Ca 1062

Mg 7

P 764

Zn 908

Ba 0

-------------------------

SUS @ 210F 65.1

cSt @ 100C 11.63

Flashpt F 485

Insol % 0

TBN 5.1

Rich

I don't know what ESP is (I hate all this HM, EP, DS, etc) but LOW TBN.

Wonder what it would be after 5k miles.
shocked2.gif

I know that Castrol GTX was 4.4 TBN after 5.8k miles.

Thanks for posting!

Merry Christmas, bill

Originally Posted By: buster
Interesting oil. High flash point, low Ca and TBN.

Strange "high" (relative to most new 30's lately)...

I'm not at all sure what to make of the TBN. (Ca of course...)

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Meant to type "Strange high viscosity......."

Has to meet the ACEA A3 HT/HS of 3.5.

Quote:
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been designed to deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with improved fuel economy. Key features and benefits include:

5w-30

Ah....so now I know...I never pay anything attention to the ESP noise.....until it grabs me by the scruff.....so like DEO and the particulate filter engines....

Last edited:
Not really digging this oil so much with the low calcium and TBN, especially at $10+ a quart. Wonder if there is any antimony in this oil?

Quote:
Wonder if there is any antimony in this oil?

Is there a new, Antimony-based anti-wear compound ? I'm a chemist, but not a tribologist, so I'm all ears.
grin2.gif

I'm planning to run this oil on the next oil change on my VW PD diesel. The "normal" OCI is 10k miles, but I'll pull a sample at 5k and send it to Terry for his read. The low TBN has me a little spooked, also, but with ULSD fuel, who knows ?

I'd really like to compare this VOA to a VOA of the new Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 CJ-4 formulation.

I'll post whatever data I find with this oil in my application.

Rich

Originally Posted By: rhi
Quote:
Wonder if there is any antimony in this oil?

Is there a new, Antimony-based anti-wear compound ? I'm a chemist, but not a tribologist, so I'm all ears.
grin2.gif

I'm planning to run this oil on the next oil change on my VW PD diesel. The "normal" OCI is 10k miles, but I'll pull a sample at 5k and send it to Terry for his read. The low TBN has me a little spooked, also, but with ULSD fuel, who knows ?

I'd really like to compare this VOA to a VOA of the new Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 CJ-4 formulation.

I'll post whatever data I find with this oil in my application.

Rich

Molakule can fill you in on antimony, and there's probably something in the archives as well. Some better oils have antimony and it's more expensive to use, but most oils as a rule of thumb don't use it though . Since this is Mobil's flagship oil in Europe, I was thinking it might have some more unusual additives. Blackstone doesn't test for it unfortunately.

The TBN leaves me a bit puzzled.. The Castrol SLX Professional OE also has a fairly low TBN as well, so this seems to be a trend.

These new low saps oils are strange on paper, but using some of the latest technology I suppose. All for what reason?

Yes they look strange but are use the latest additive technology driven by low SAPS (sulfufated ash, phosphorus, sulfur) for emissions protection.

Originally Posted by buster
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is made with a proprietary blend of leading edge components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been designed to deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with improved fuel economy. Key features and benefits include:

5w-30

Buster.....Here is the USA version of ESP, you posted the UK version

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back