K&N for Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
If your NAPA still has the Farm and Fleet sale going on, Napa Gold 7055 is $3.50. It has metal end caps, silicone ADBV, correct bypass rating, and is made in USA. What's not to love?

I'm with ya there

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ablebody
Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N. The K&N oil filters are designed to meet or surpass the OEM flow and filtration. The bypass valve is designed to work when there is back pressure and the PSI will vary from filter to filter and vehicle to vehicle. The OEM specification you listed below is based of the OEM oil filter which has a different filter media in comparison to a K&N. Our media and the media that the OEM are not the same so that is why the PSI is different. Our media is Resin impregnated cellulose. I am not sure what type of media the OEM would use. If you are concerned about the PSI then we suggest to use the OEM.

Thank you,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support

So what K&N is saying ... and what many members here have eluded to ... is that the bypass valve setting is a function of the "delta-p vs flow" performance of the media used in the filter. A better flowing filter (meaning less delta-p at high flow) doesn't need as high of a bypass valve setting.

So what is their excuse when they have a higher bypass setting than oem such as is the case for my Mazda 2? .
The xg, tg and eg are all set at 13 yet they have different media. Lota other brands do the same The gig is up as far as I'm concerned.
My advice to the op is stick with oem or wix or just check the specs on any filter before you buy it. Some of these manufctueres just try and blanket over many applications so they can mass produce limited material.

I could be that they are raising the bypass valve setting to simply "match" what the OEM filter has in order to not lose sales - even though the higher bypass setting may technically not be required. Like K&N has said, and many hear have said the same thing, the bypass valve setting is dependent on the performance of the media, and the max expected oil flow from the oil pump. Not many cars can flow over 10 GPM, but the Subarus do, so I can see why they require a somewhat higher bypass valve setting - especially if the OEM filter is somewhat flow restrictive. How much max oil flow volume does a Mazda 2 produce?

The bypass setting is supposed to be 8. The media in an eg and xg are quite different and cannot possibly flow the same yet all 3 tiers including tg are set at 13. Its not because the media flows the same in all 3. So that blows that excuse out a the water. The gig is up the gig is up the gig is up.
Mazda specs the bpv pressure because they make the Mazda 1.5 so they know.
I suspect it's the reason my Mazda suffered while using the ultra.

"The gig is up"? LoL ... sure.

It doesn't hurt to have a bypass valve setting a bit higher than it really needs to be, as long as it's not set extremely too high. Why make 3 different bypass valves when one will work fine in 80+% of the filter models.

Last thing you want is the oil pump going into pressure relief way sooner than it should (and reducing oil flow to the engine) because the filter is extremely clogged and the bypass valve is set way too high. The Ultra flows better than that PureOne graph I posted earlier, so not believing that theory.

If your NAPA still has the Farm and Fleet sale going on, Napa Gold 7055 is $3.50. It has metal end caps, silicone ADBV, correct bypass rating, and is made in USA. What's not to love?

I'm with ya there

I prefer the NAPA Platinum for better flow. It copies the WIX XP. Also prefer the Fram XG and K&N Gold. But even a PepBoys Proline, Supertech Ecore or Fram EG, will get our vehicles to 300K without any repairs. Just make sure the economy oil filter of your choice does not clatter on cold-startup.

Really no need to give these roadside vehicle graveyard/junkyards that bring-in vehicles from accidents or overly-rusted, any engines with clear dipsticks and spotless innards of the engine.

Been there - down that road before and I'm not doing it again. That's a waste of money over the lifetime of our vehicles. Basic filtering of today's modern vehicles are all it needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
OEM

OEM Subaru filters are nothing special. Plenty of equally capable filters for much less $$.

I too like the NAPA Platinum, but most of the time they are $12-13 each, around $8 when on sale. For that price, I will choose myself and steer others to the Fram Ultra.

Plus, NAPA Platinum, as ZeeOSix has pointed out numerous times, has horrid nominal efficiency of 50%. I wish NAPA would compromise some since this is marketed as an extended-drain filter, and bump the media up to 98-99% @ 20u and price it the same as an Ultra. Cuz we all know the word Platinum carries more swag points than Ultra
lol.gif

I just put on a NAPA Gold, stamped Made in Mexico. The Purolator is stamped Made in USA, that was the draw. Knowing the oem is a Fram with paper end caps, I believe there are better options, but with a oci of 6 months whether it needs it or not, who cares I guess?

It doesn't hurt to have a bypass valve setting a bit higher than it really needs to be, as long as it's not set extremely too high. Why make 3 different bypass valves when one will work fine in 80+% of the filter models.

Last thing you want is the oil pump going into pressure relief way sooner than it should (and reducing oil flow to the engine) because the filter is extremely clogged and the bypass valve is set way too high. The Ultra flows better than that PureOne graph I posted earlier, so not believing that theory.

Its set the same as the tg and eg on the same application so yeah it does blow that theory out a the water. 5 psi isn't just a bit. Yep ya don't want the bypass valve going into bypass ya also don't want the filter prv delayed during cold startup or acceleration which starves the engine of oil.
Yep the gig is up.

Its set the same as the tg and eg on the same application so yeah it does blow that theory out a the water. 5 psi isn't just a bit. Yep ya don't want the bypass valve going into bypass ya also don't want the filter bypass delayed during cold startup or acceleration which starves the engine of oil during critical moments.
Yep the gig is up.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N. The K&N oil filters are designed to meet or surpass the OEM flow and filtration. The bypass valve is designed to work when there is back pressure and the PSI will vary from filter to filter and vehicle to vehicle. The OEM specification you listed below is based of the OEM oil filter which has a different filter media in comparison to a K&N. Our media and the media that the OEM are not the same so that is why the PSI is different. Our media is Resin impregnated cellulose. I am not sure what type of media the OEM would use. If you are concerned about the PSI then we suggest to use the OEM.

Thank you,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support

So what K&N is saying ... and what many members here have eluded to ... is that the bypass valve setting is a function of the "delta-p vs flow" performance of the media used in the filter. A better flowing filter (meaning less delta-p at high flow) doesn't need as high of a bypass valve setting.

So what is their excuse when they have a higher bypass setting than oem such as is the case for my Mazda 2? .
The xg, tg and eg are all set at 13 yet they have different media. Lota other brands do the same The gig is up as far as I'm concerned.
My advice to the op is stick with oem or wix or just check the specs on any filter before you buy it. Some of these manufctueres just try and blanket over many applications so they can mass produce limited material.

Interesting and true observation. The consumer Frams all use the same can and parts in the three versions, only the media and paint job change. I would never take a chance again on a TG or EG after finding one with a glue shard in the center tube. Certainly if it was another brand besides Fram, they would be forever condemned.
Some cars now use multi output oil pumps, so it is necessary to know that first. If it has that pump, it gets a lot more complicated. You don't want the oil sensor to tell the oil pump to reduce flow when it shouldn't.

Its set the same as the tg and eg on the same application so yeah it does blow that theory out a the water. 5 psi isn't just a bit. Yep ya don't want the bypass valve going into bypass ya also don't want the filter prv delayed during cold startup or acceleration which starves the engine of oil.
Yep the gig is up.

It doesn't "blow anything out of the water". If 5 PSI "isn't just a bit", then what do you think of these filters with 23+ PSI bypass valves? Having a basic understanding of oil filter and PD pump design and operation goes a long way.

Another thing about filters with a 23+ PSI bypass valve is the center tube and media better be able to take that high delta-p force without tearing or collapsing. Good thing Tearolators don't have 23+ PSI bypass valves. Maybe those flat spiral spring bypass valves don't work so well.

Seems like what ever brand you mention, haters going to hate...

It's not hating just think about it. You get a filter made by the same company that makes two other tares of filters that all have the same incorrect the bypass setting. The excuse given for the ultra is it's full synthetic media flows better therefore it doesn't need as high a bypass setting. But the other 2 filters have cellulose and or blended medias. Same bypass setting as the ultra. So how does that not make you wonder. There are other manufacturers that make them correctly.

Yep the gig is up.

It doesn't "blow anything out of the water". If 5 PSI "isn't just a bit", then what do you think of these filters with 23+ PSI bypass valves? Having a basic understanding of oil filter and PD pump design and operation goes a long way.

Another thing about filters with a 23+ PSI bypass valve is the center tube and media better be able to take that high delta-p force without tearing or collapsing. Good thing Tearolators don't have 23+ PSI bypass valves. Maybe those flat spiral spring bypass valves don't work so well.

They have a23+ bypass setting for a reason. That's really just deflecting by you though. Then you reverted back to Purolator bashing. Scapegoating as if I care anymore about Purolator than Fram. At least the classic didn't starve my engine of oil like the ultra.

[They have a23+ bypass setting for a reason. That's really just deflecting by you though. Then you reverted back to Purolator bashing. Scapegoating as if I care anymore about Purolator than Fram. At least the classic didn't starve my engine of oil like the ultra.

And please explain exactly why they have a 23+ PSI bypass setting. No defections. And like nobody here talks bad about Purolators and Purolator made filters ... there is a reason just in case you missed it and have your biased glasses on. I don't care what the brand of filter is, if it shows continued problems for 4 years people are going to say something negative about them.

And what you experience with your engine could have been a defective Ultra (who knows without trying another one), because the Classic won't flow any better than an Ultra would, probably worse based on flow data we've all seen here.

It's not hating just think about it. You get a filter made by the same company that makes two other tares of filters that all have the same incorrect the bypass setting. The excuse given for the ultra is it's full synthetic media flows better therefore it doesn't need as high a bypass setting. But the other 2 filters have cellulose and or blended medias. Same bypass setting as the ultra. So how does that not make you wonder. There are other manufacturers that make them correctly.

So what bypass setting do you think the Ultra should have? And please explain why it should be different than what it is. Seems you're just trying to argue about non-sense with some cockamamie straw man argument.

And BTW, maybe you should email K&N and tell that tech there that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
lol.gif

So what bypass setting do you think the Ultra should have? And please explain why it should be different than what it is. Seems you're just trying to argue about non-sense with some cockamamie straw man argument.

And BTW, maybe you should email K&N and tell that tech there that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
lol.gif

It should have the correct bypass setting because that's what the manufacturer decided. Also we're talking about the tough guard in the extra guard as well. I want to know how there's cellular media and their semi synthetic media or Blended media whatever can flow the same since they have the same bypass setting. You know since the argument for Ultra not having the correct bypass setting is that it flows better how does that apply to the other to filters

It should have the correct bypass setting because that's what the manufacturer decided. Also we're talking about the tough guard in the extra guard as well. I want to know how there's cellular media and their semi synthetic media or Blended media whatever can flow the same since they have the same bypass setting. You know since the argument for Ultra not having the correct bypass setting is that it flows better how does that apply to the other to filters

You're missing a simple point ... each and every oil filter doesn't have to have a "custom" bypass valve setting. Probably 80+% of oil filters have a bypass valve setting of 12~14 PSI. And they all don't have the same media type or media flow area, or the same media flow performance. You've latch on to some misconception that's got to be the case, and if a better flowing filter has the same bypass setting as a filter that might not flow quite as good you think there's some kind of problem, but there isn't. Filter manufactures are smart enough to know what bypass setting to give their filters based on the oil pump and oil viscosity specs of the vehicles they specify filters for.

You're missing a simple point ... each and every oil filter doesn't have to have a "custom" bypass valve setting. Probably 80+% of oil filters have a bypass valve setting of 12~14 PSI. And they all don't have the same media type or media flow area, or the same media flow performance. You've latch on to some misconception that's got to be the case, and if a better flowing filter has the same bypass setting as a filter that might not flow quite as good you think there's some kind of problem, but there isn't. Filter manufactures are smart enough to know what bypass setting to give their filters based on the oil pump and oil viscosity specs of the vehicles they specify filters for.

No that's not the case. If a filter is said to be fine having a lower bypass setting than the oem because it's "Full synthetic media flows better" then you can't say the same for a cellulose media that has the same bypass setting.
Most isn't all so if a vehicle such as mymazda2 requires 8psi yet the after market filter is 15 or the spark requires 22 and the after market is 9-15 well that's just not correct. The cellulose eg that fits the spark has a bypass setting listed 9-15 though it should be 22. Ya can't say its ok because it's full synthetic and flows so much better. It's not 22 psi because GM just made that number up. So a filter going into bypass between 9 to 15 psi when it's supposed to be 22psi is a problem. Now why would I believe anything fram or k&n or whoever says knowing this? I don't need to be an expert to notice a discrepancy like this.

Last edited:

No that's not the case. If a filter is said to be fine having a lower bypass setting than the oem because it's "Full synthetic media flows better" then you can't say the same for a cellulose media that has the same bypass setting.

Like I said before, there's nothing wrong with using a higher bypass valve setting if it's not going to cause the PD oil pump to hit pressure relief way too soon which would cut back oil flow to the engine - especially at higher RPM. On a filter that flows very well, a bypass valve being set to the same as it's more restrictive sister model isn't going to hurt anything. So as a filter designer specing a bypass valve for 3 different models that all flow differently, you would spec the highest bypass valve setting for the most restrictive filter, and then use that same bypass valve on the others that flow better ... it's not going to hurt, and you don't need to "custom design" a unique bypass valve for every different filter model. So claiming that using the same bypass valve on 3 different models with 3 different media blends is all nonsense.

Most isn't all so if a vehicle such as mymazda2 requires 8psi yet the after market filter is 15 or the spark requires 22 and the after market is 9-15 well that's just not correct. The cellulose eg that fits the spark has a bypass setting listed 9-15 though it should be 22. Ya can't say its ok because it's full synthetic and flows so much better. It's not 22 psi because GM just made that number up. So a filter going into bypass between 9 to 15 psi when it's supposed to be 22psi is a problem. Now why would I believe anything fram or k&n or whoever says knowing this? I don't need to be an expert to notice a discrepancy like this.

There is nothing wrong with using a filter with a 12~15 PSI BPV for a vehicle that specs 8 PSI. Why would you think it's going to hurt something? Even if the filter became clogged enough to make the BPV open, it's only taxing the pump with 4 PSI more of output pressure to maintain the same oil flow, which is nothing when it doesn't hit pressure relief until 80+ PSI.

What can be bad is if a filter with too low of a BPV setting is used on an engine with very high oil pump output, heavy viscosity oil, or is hammered with high RPM before the oil warms up much. IMO, GM has become overly paranoid of filters going into bypass, or have a bunch of crazy owners who rev their engines high with cold thick oil. Even the Vettes don't put out over 10 GPM of oil full at redline. However, some turboed Subarus can flow up around 14 GPM max, and that (along with the flow performance of their OEM filter) is why they spec a higher BPV setting on those engines. Also, the new variable output oil pumps don't put out any more oil flow than a good old fashioned non-variable pump. In fact, car makers are cutting back on the oil pump output flow to help gain a hair more gas mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back