Lifespan of Fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really last 20k miles? Is it vehicle dependent? If a quality full synthetic is used and changed every 5k miles, how frequently should the filter be changed if using a Fram ultra?

Well, you can run them up to 20k miles.
I will probably run mine15K-16K miles with up to 3 OCI's for myself and basically just change them once a year.

Depends on the car and driving conditions
smile.gif

MotorKing, a member here who is a Fram representative, said that Fram Ultra could easily do 30k miles, but at this point the metal casing could encounter some rusting issues.*read: lawyers*
So if you drive a lot and do 30k miles in a year - then Fram Ultra will do it no problem. But if you live in the rust belt and/or short trip your vehicle (for example 30k miles in 4-6 years) then it is best to change the oil filter every OCI or every other OCI to prevent an oil filter failure due to metal casing getting weak due to rust.

They are well built and last. I ran one 16k and cut it open to inspect; many people have done that and shared it here. The current one will come off soon after 20k. They are one of the few filters that the ADBV does not break down on this particular car (high heat near the filter).

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Does it really last 20k miles? Is it vehicle dependent? If a quality full synthetic is used and changed every 5k miles, how frequently should the filter be changed if using a Fram ultra?
It's not mileage that is the question most of the time. Do you drive enough to put 25k miles on a filter in an amount of time that you feel comfortable running an oil filter? I would say two years is when I would start think about changing a filter if I had not exceeded the recommended mileage.

Most Ultras I see cut open have been run for around 13k miles. I've seen some 20-25k mile ones cut open and they look great.

EDIT: If you bought a car that was sludged up, I would not immediately toss an Ultra on it and run it for 25k. Under those circumstances you can run it for five OCIs, depending on how quickly that mileage is accrued.

Last edited:
The one I ran for 19,600 miles on my xB (XG3600) looked good inside, could likely have done another 20K. But, I've maintained the engine religiously since DAY ONE-on an unknown engine, of unknown condition/internal cleanliness-need to build up the miles gradually. I agree with Jay/motorking that the Ultra's one weakness is potential rust-if Fram could use the Bosch Distance Plus tank-like can & baseplate construction, an Ultra could last 40-50K and 3-4 years easily on a clean engine.

How much exposed, unpainted metal do oil filters, including a Fram Ultra, have ?

I run all my vehicles on 10k oci and 20k fci with fram ultra (except the Audi, it gets a Mann cartridge every 10k). We drive a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbias
I run all my vehicles on 10k oci and 20k fci with fram ultra. We drive a lot.

+1 I find it gets hard to undo them if you leave them much longer. Now I give them a little twist on the first OCI to make sure they don't stick. More than a few manufacturers have recommend a 2oci fci with "normal" filters so I don't think its any risk at all to run a FU for 2 oci's

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Now I give them a little twist on the first OCI to make sure they don't stick.
Great idea, I am going to start doing that even though I only change the filter every other OCI.

Originally Posted by CT8
The leaf spring is the poor point of fram filters.
It works well, as long as you don't drop the filter.

Originally Posted by cals400ex
Does it really last 20k miles?

I ran a Motorcraft FL-1a out to 30,000 miles (3X oil changes) - there was no failure of any kind when it was cut open. It really wasn't that dirty, either.

I DARE SAY THIS - a decent-sized Fram ultra (maybe even the little thimble sized ones)

WILL last 50,000 miles with regular oil changes on modern (non-sludging) engines.

Modern engines just don't load up oil filters with debris like they used to 30+ years ago.

on vehicles like my F150 with a 4.6, it has almost 180,000 miles and the top of the head looking inside of the valve cover has ZERO sludge or(even varnish) inside of it.

On a clean engine like that, a Fram Ultra XG-2 would last 50,000 miles easily with regular oil changes.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's not mileage that is the question most of the time. Do you drive enough to put 25k miles on a filter in an amount of time that you feel comfortable running an oil filter? I would say two years is when I would start think about changing a filter if I had not exceeded the recommended mileage.

Pffffffftttttttt.............. I have older farm equipment and seldom used OPE that have oil filters nearing 20 years of age.

I have cut apart oil filters from numerous vehicles over the years that had been on an engine for more than 20 years, there's NEVER any breakdown inside,

and I wish this old wive's tales about this would just die already.

Im not sure id call it a "leaf spring"

It a bit of a mystery to me how this title has stuck.

Its a coil spring holding back a poppet valve and the assembly is on a stamped carrier.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
and the assembly is on a stamped carrier.

The "stamped carrier" is the "leaf spring" that keeps the element pushed against the threaded end of the can...

which seals the "dirty side" from the "clean side" of the oil flow....

but also serves to keep proper tension against the silicone ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back