I put 15W40 in my L83 Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using 15w-40 in an engine that requires 5w-20 seems like folly to me. Nobody can guarantee It's not going to harm the engine. What about the vvt system and cylinder deactivation? Don't the engineers who designed and tested this engine know better than people with their own "opinions". I would drain it the [censored] out and use what is recommended. Why roll the dice?

As someone noted above, if the engine were that sensitive to grade used it would fail in winter use since cold starting viscosity varies widely with ambient temperature.
Also, cue those from thick grade markets for what's recommended for this engine in them.

Originally Posted by DevilsRule
Using 15w-40 in an engine that requires 5w-20 seems like folly to me. Nobody can guarantee It's not going to harm the engine. What about the vvt system and cylinder deactivation? Don't the engineers who designed and tested this engine know better than people with their own "opinions". I would drain it the [censored] out and use what is recommended. Why roll the dice?

Yes the OEM can guarantee it won't harm the engine or a lubricant which barely every changed viscosity would be specified or a block heater would be required.

It's really not necessary to run anything thicker than 0w20 in the L83. We ran those things at GM at WOT, 5000+rpm for hours and hours just doing performance testing. The test engines were all filled with M1 0w20. Nothing special, just routine.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by jayg
Originally Posted by zfasts03
I think 5w-30 is the thickest I would go. I believe there is a bulletin out stating to only use 0w-20 and that is what the engine was designed for. There is an oil cooler and an 8 qt. sump. So I can only imagine a 5w-30 needed in a hot climate while towing and extensive use of the upper end of the tachometer.

I'm not buying it. The difference in actual thickness between a 15W40 and 0W20 is very minor. This becomes more apparent at operating tempatures. If the engine was this sensitive it would fail during winter use.

How would we know?

How many people are running 15w40 in cold climates for no reason and sharing that data when they had failures because of it?

The engine would fail with 0W20 in winter use. It is thicker at 32F then a 15W40 at 60F. Is this too much for you? I can provide charts if you wish.

You completely missed my point AND got snarky. I love those.

You still haven't answered my question. Do you need drawings? I can provide them for you. It appears you need all the assistance possible.

You still haven't answered my question. Do you need drawings? I can provide them for you. It appears you need all the assistance possible.

Let it go. You still didn't understand my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back