Anyone "Wim Hof"ing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to admit that I've always had a thing for breathwork...

35 years ago, in boring lessons, I lead a group of us in breathing and breath holding (secret signals), and we compared notes afterwards...1:15 was pretty typical, but we had no technique.

Always been pretty OK in (Our) cold, can peg a load of washing out barefoot in shorts and singlet in -5C frost. Lagging pipes a few weeks ago at 4PM in a singlet while the birdbath was still frozen from the night before.

Still been playing with breathwork, and hit the 3 minute mark a little over a year ago, at 49...2 minutes not that hard.

Learned about Wim Hof in a Joe Rogan interview a couple of weeks ago.

WOW is all I can say.

Been playing for less than 2 weeks, but am seriously impressed...not climb Everest in shorts impressed, but impressed nonetheless.

Learned about him a 4 years ago. First thought was "nutjob". Then laboratories were proving that this man and his followers can fight and defeat bacterial infections with their minds.

The things this man has accomplished definitely changed my perspective on a lot of things.

Been hitting 4:30. Despite living in FL, I find 32°F to be quite bearable in a T-shirt. I feel absolutely no desire to cover myself at 40°F.

I've done a lot of activities below 0°F, but I haven't figured out how to stop my forearms and wrists from slowing down. They just get slow-motion. Brain says "snap your hand into a fist", but takes 3 seconds to happen. But that's only if I'm not actively using my hands. If I do some pushups occasionally I'm ok.

Originally Posted by csandste
Well, I won't be doing this in my old age, but it was an interesting Wikipedia read. Still getting over my youth in South Dakota.

2017 he took a 76 year old to the top of Kilamanjaro, and the team did it in under 48 hours (in their shorts)

Thanks Zee...going to have to use the "ss" trick download it, and watch it a few times.

Best I'd ever done was 3:00 last year using my old techniques, have done 3:47 since Wim Hof, and 3:00 on multiple times the last few weeks.

(There's an App that you can track your "progess"...if progress is what I'm achieving).

Interesting.

Not directly related, but we used to see how far we could swim underwater before coming up for air when I was in competition. I could do a length and 3/4 of the way back of an olympic length pool without coming up for air.

I only ever got to 50m...

If interested, I'll dig up some interviews (the Joe Rogan one is easiest to find and pretty good)...his first 50m under a metre of ice was more like 90...

Did you do a flip turn at the end?
wink.gif
I would have been right around 90M.

Last edited:
1:50 in the cold shower at 10:00 last night...interesting couple of "thresholds" on the way to a quite relaxed experience after the shock went away.

LOL, bought a timer and found out that my "mississippis" are out by a factor of 2...so my morning 40 seconds in cold water only have been closer to a minute and a half.

10 minutes last night (measured)

Been doing it for a month now, following progress with the app...steady improvements all round.

Reviewed some of the medical reports around what he does, not just the stunts.
* Increasing red and white blood cells inside 20 minutes
* reduced inflammatory markers
* clearing endotoxins in 2% of the time of a control group

Originally Posted by Shannow
I read in a book (Skin in the Game by Taleb) that he was at a party where that guy did his icepick trick,

Nassim Taleb?

I skimmed this thread not understanding a thing. But if he has something positive, to say, I'm interested. I have respected him since the first "Fooled by Randomness." I worked in capital markets in the 90s and fully understood his insight, and admired his overview.

Yep, his book "skin in the game" is about how our current society practise asymmetric risks across the board (people are rewarded for behaviours that damage society/markets as a whole, and someone else is burdened with rectification/consequences)...and that only thse who have skin in the game (suffer the consequences of their behaviours) should be able to decide for others...the ice pick through the hand was one example...the magician "did his trick" at a party, to achieve some status...but the trick was no trick, it was real.

edit, taleb only came up with the David Blain input from Zee0Six...the guy put himself where his mouth was

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I skimmed this thread not understanding a thing.

Wim Hof, aka "the Iceman"

holds a number of Guiness records, one of his first was a 50M swim under 1m of ice. Climbed a fair portion of Everest in Boxer shorts and no oxygen, takes teams of people up Kilamanjaro in under 48 hours, similarly scantily clothed.

Has been subject of considerable testing, for example sitting in an icebath while being studied, his core temperature dropped rapidly, then he used his mind and breathing to regain it and hold it for over an hour...taught a team of 12 to do the same over a 4 day period.

Measured, massive increases in adrenalin, blood cell count, and reduction in inflammation.

His technques involve breathing and breathwork (including for examples how many pushups can be done with one breath (pushups as you are close to the ground if you go too far), and regular cold immersion (turn the hot tap off for a couple of minutes after showering.

Has demonstrated anxiety reductions, and health benefits.

Amazing how people are overcoming inflammatory diseases using this and other methods...

BTW, 33 m of water (assuming fresh) is 48psi

Have been messing around with this for months now, and loving it.

Morning starts with 30-40 minutes of breath work - 30 sharp breaths, then hold on exhale...1:30-2 mins, then breathe in hard and hold for a minute...rinse and repeat for 40mins or thereabout....instead of lying in and listenting to the radio for 30 mins, just get up and do this...so time neutral.

Then the one breath pushups...40-60 depending on how the above went.

Dead cold shower, until my hair is washed and teeth brushed (about 3 mins), then warm it up to wash off the soap.

Home from work, and 40 mins in the sauna (55-65C), then another three minutes in the cold shower, or a cold bath depending.

Then at 10:30 (bed time is 11PM), 20-30 minutes of an adaptation between Wim Hof and Holotropic breathing...most days outside in a singlet and board shorts (it's down to 5-7C at present, will see how I go in winter proper).

Couple of times this week I pegged the washing on the line, singlet and boardies, barefeet standing in the frost...

The stuff really works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back