K&N for Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'd like to use them but concerned about their low psi rating. I email them and here is the response, I'd like to believe it.

Hello
I drive a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and would like to use K&N filter. The model you spec is K&N HP-1004, it has a PSI Relief Valve 11-17 while the OEM filter specs at 26 PSI for this engine.

Will you make a filter that is in compliance with OEM spec. and how do you recommend this one with such a different psi rating?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N. The K&N oil filters are designed to meet or surpass the OEM flow and filtration. The bypass valve is designed to work when there is back pressure and the PSI will vary from filter to filter and vehicle to vehicle. The OEM specification you listed below is based of the OEM oil filter which has a different filter media in comparison to a K&N. Our media and the media that the OEM are not the same so that is why the PSI is different. Our media is Resin impregnated cellulose. I am not sure what type of media the OEM would use. If you are concerned about the PSI then we suggest to use the OEM.

Thank you,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support

Use NAPA Gold 7055 / Wix 57055. It's rated 27# bypass so you keep warranty concerns down, is a good filter, and we haven't seen any of the issues with the Wix/NG 5/7055 like some have shown about the K&N filters having quality concerns.

car 51 C&P'd one of the NAPA 7055's that I sent him a couple months back; it's here on the board in the filter section. Check it out... it's a stout little sucker, and you can pick them up twice a year at less than $4 per filter at NAPA!

Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Ya thats what Im running now, probably stay with it or Purolator
Purolator is one of th most hated oil filters around. They have reputation for getting holes in the media, except the Puro Boss model, those are OK. In fact, the Purolator Boss PBL14615 has the correct bypass pressure, a silicone ADBV you want, mesh-backed synthetic media, and filters moderately well; a good choice.
Not K&N though. Nothing about them speaks quality or performance, technically. Purolator Boss at Amazon or rockauto.com, maybe Advance Auto parts not sure.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting K&N. The K&N oil filters are designed to meet or surpass the OEM flow and filtration. The bypass valve is designed to work when there is back pressure and the PSI will vary from filter to filter and vehicle to vehicle. The OEM specification you listed below is based of the OEM oil filter which has a different filter media in comparison to a K&N. Our media and the media that the OEM are not the same so that is why the PSI is different. Our media is Resin impregnated cellulose. I am not sure what type of media the OEM would use. If you are concerned about the PSI then we suggest to use the OEM.

Thank you,

So what K&N is saying ... and what many members here have eluded to ... is that the bypass valve setting is a function of the "delta-p vs flow" performance of the media used in the filter. A better flowing filter (meaning less delta-p at high flow) doesn't need as high of a bypass valve setting.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So what K&N is saying ... and what many members here have eluded to ... is that the bypass valve setting is a function of the "delta-p vs flow" performance of the media used in the filter. A better flowing filter (meaning less delta-p at high flow) doesn't need as high of a bypass valve setting.
They use resin-cellulose, thats not as free flowing as a fully synthetic media, and I think about similar to Subaru's OEM oil filter media. I think the K&N filter tech support person is just making excuses for them not going up on their bypass threshold.
That was my take away, so maybe ok for my Subbie?

No, not OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
They use resin-cellulose, thats not as free flowing as a fully synthetic media, and I think about similar to Subaru's OEM oil filter media. I think the K&N filter tech support person is just making excuses for them not going up on their bypass threshold.

Well, looking at the flow vs dealt-p of the old yellow can PureOne, there would only be ~5 PSI of delta-p at 12 GPM of hot 5W-30 oil flow. That's well below the bypass valve setting of 12~15 PSI in those filters. I think the filters that have 23+ PSI bypass valves are probably somewhat flow restrictive, and the company is paranoid and thinks people are going to be redlining their engine at -20 F cold starts. Thing is, when the oil is very thick the oil pump will most likely go into pressure relief too, which helps cut down on the flow to the filter, and therefore the delta-p across the filter at the same time. Thing to remember is to never rev the engine really high until the oil warms up near full operating temperature - that's a good overall practice IMO.

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Curve.JPG

Thing to remember is to never rev the engine really high until the oil warms up near full operating temperature - that's a good overall practice IMO

Well, Zee, you know those STI guys...

'd like to use them but concerned about their low psi rating

Your concerns are completely unwarranted.

Not K&N though. Nothing about them speaks quality or performance, technically

Every K&N oil filter I have ever seen cut open was 100% exactly the same as a Mobil 1 oil filter........

Originally Posted by Linctex

Not K&N though. Nothing about them speaks quality or performance, technically

Every K&N oil filter I have ever seen cut open was 100% exactly the same as a Mobil 1 oil filter........

I think that was before Champion and Fram merged. Champion made the K&N filters, and they were made in the USA. After the Champion/ Fram merger, K&N used other manufacturers to make their filters, I think Korea and then China. There is no way I would run a K&N filter. And I I ever used was K&N when Champion was making them.

K&N oil filer made in the USA is a excellent filter, but is likely five plus years old on the shelf. K&N made in China or Korea is #$%^&*().

Hello,

Thank you,

So what is their excuse when they have a higher bypass setting than oem such as is the case for my Mazda 2? .
The xg, tg and eg are all set at 13 yet they have different media. Lota other brands do the same The gig is up as far as I'm concerned.
My advice to the op is stick with oem or wix or just check the specs on any filter before you buy it. Some of these manufctueres just try and blanket over many applications so they can mass produce limited material.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Hello,

Thank you,

So what is their excuse when they have a higher bypass setting than oem such as is the case for my Mazda 2? .
The xg, tg and eg are all set at 13 yet they have different media. Lota other brands do the same The gig is up as far as I'm concerned.
My advice to the op is stick with oem or wix or just check the specs on any filter before you buy it. Some of these manufctueres just try and blanket over many applications so they can mass produce limited material.

I could be that they are raising the bypass valve setting to simply "match" what the OEM filter has in order to not lose sales - even though the higher bypass setting may technically not be required. Like K&N has said, and many hear have said the same thing, the bypass valve setting is dependent on the performance of the media, and the max expected oil flow from the oil pump. Not many cars can flow over 10 GPM, but the Subarus do, so I can see why they require a somewhat higher bypass valve setting - especially if the OEM filter is somewhat flow restrictive. How much max oil flow volume does a Mazda 2 produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back