Cooper Discoverer True North

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a pair of this new model in 215/55R16 for the front of my 2015 Focus. I have a pair of Blizzak WS-80s for the back with some life left. They look and feel like a quality tire.

Bought them on Amazon. They were the cheapest I could find (which seems rare for Amazon and tires). I've been using various versions of the Blizzak WS-xx line for 15 years, but never felt too impressed with the WS-80. Time to try something new.

1A51FF54-FDF9-4AEB-A0CD-A67E12320DC5.jpeg

A141614C-941D-4286-A571-79C68E675BE6.jpeg

Last edited:
I really prefer asymmetrical tires so I can do a 4-tire rotation.

When Continental came out with their new Si tire, they admitted that they went directional because the industry moved that way...assym performed better.

If they are anything like the exclusive tire they make for Canadian Tire introduced last year (Winter Edge), you will like them. Tread looks different, but of course that's often the smallest part of what goes into how well a tire performs.

Thanks for the review. I like Coops. I have AT3's on my F150 and love them.

I'm looking to get a set of winter tires for my daughter's '15 Chrysler 200. These are on the list.

they look good!! always use 4 similar snow tyres as the rears of FWD"S like to "step out"!! while working i used 4 mich alpin's on dedicated smaller 15" rims + safely passed struggling 4WD SUV's running all season BUT winter tyres. i believe SNOW tyres should be law in states like mine Pa, like up in canada!!!

Originally Posted by benjy
i believe SNOW tyres should be law in states like mine Pa, like up in canada!!!

Not law in most of Canada. Only the province of Quebec currently requires them for all vehicles for the winter months. British Columbia requires them only in some areas and on some highways. New Brunswick only requires them on school buses.

I'm looking between these Coopers and the General Altimax Arctic 12 for my own '15 focus also. I couldn't find a decent review of these Coopers and they always seemed like they were on crossovers/SUVs so I'm swaying towards the Generals. Give us an update when you put them on. The tread looks a lot more aggressive than the previous Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT I had on the focus so I'm curious to see their dry road characteristics.

Originally Posted by Pew
I'm looking between these Coopers and the General Altimax Arctic 12 for my own '15 focus also. I couldn't find a decent review of these Coopers and they always seemed like they were on crossovers/SUVs so I'm swaying towards the Generals. Give us an update when you put them on. The tread looks a lot more aggressive than the previous Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT I had on the focus so I'm curious to see their dry road characteristics.

Cooper Discoverer True North ranked #1 in Consumer Reports recent testing. General Altimax Arctic 12 ranked 6th in this testing.

Have used Cooper Winter Ice Radials on my truck going back to the early 1990's. In the meantime I've tried Nokians and Michelins but none were as good as the Coopers, which I've gone back to. All "true truck" LT / Load Range C (usually) versions. In my opinion the best for truck load tires. Not Passenger Car types, though.

Last edited:
Just drove on these in light snow and some fairly heavy slush. I was quite impressed. Stopping was very secure.

I haven't driven on them on dry pavement, but on wet pavement they seem very quiet. I don't remember my Blizzak WS-80s being this quiet when they were new in 2015.

I'll update again sometime later.

Last edited:
E65,

I was wondering if you could offer a follow up review on these tires after one season. I'm currently debating between the Coopers, Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2, and Continental VikingContact 7 for my wife's van.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Yo dawg, you got sipes on your sipes!

They are referred as micro sipes, some winter tires have them, as you can tell they are only effective when the tires are new.

Nitto SN-2's have them for instance
[Linked Image from nittotires.ca]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eugenem
E65,

I was wondering if you could offer a follow up review on these tires after one season. I'm currently debating between the Coopers, Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2, and Continental VikingContact 7 for my wife's van.

Thank you!

While I don't have any empirical evidence, I can say I have zero regrets buying them. Every bit as good as the Blizzak WS-80s they replaced.

I just bought another set of winter tires for a different car and ended up with the VikingContact7 because of the good reviews and current $70 rebate. If it wasn't those I would have got another set of TrueNorths

I've had General Altimax Artics and Michelin Ice-X. Never had anything but good luck with those. However, I'm sure the others such as the Cooper TN and Conti's are also quite good.

There are a few things to note about using dedicated snow tires:
- they are worlds above any "all season" tire you'll ever run
- they don't brake/handle nearly as well as AS tires when it's dry out
- they don't do quite as well in heavy rains as AS tires do
- did I mention they kick bootie in the snow/ice?

I have AS Michelin Pilot MXM4s on our Taurus; they absolutely SUCK in anything but dry weather or light rain. They are a good AS tire if you live in arid, temperate areas. Just had our first decent snow and mounted the General snow tires; our Altimax Artics did very well on the Taurus. Where I live (way up in the hills; very steep and winding approach road) snow tires are an absolute must once the snow flies.

My point is this ...
The "upgrade" to ANY snow tire from an all-season tire is going to improve the traction far more than the debate between brands of snow tires. All dedicated snow tires are going to do well in the snow/ice; far more than any AS tire. I concern myself more with price of the snow tires and choose my brand based on that.

E365, dnewton3 -

Thanks for the input. I'm waiting for a call back from the local tire shop. They sell a lot of Coopers, so we'll see how the pricing lines up against the Continental VikingContact 7's with the $70 rebate. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back