What options do you think all vehicles should have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I like auto headlights, but if people can't make sure their headlights are on at appropriate times (it's the law in CT they need to be on with wipers) then they shouldn't have a license.

I thought it was annoying when my car would activate the headlamps when the auto wipers came on. But then they changed the law in my state to also require headlights to be on when wipers are in use so now I'm fine with it. I was annoyed before because sometimes you get a light shower or a drizzle during the day and you don't really even need headlights, it's still pretty bright out.

Originally Posted by Ducked
Er...If I can't see, then I put the headlights on.

If I can see, then I don't need the headlights on.

What am I missing by this not being automated?

I'm TRYING to feel deprived here, but I'm not really managing it.

(Couple of weeks ago I was deliberately driving with them off because I suspected the alternator was on the blink. THEN I felt a bit deprived)

You are missing the fact that headlights are a safety item. On a well lit road you can see fine without them however cars behind a higher rate of speed don't notice the vehicle due to lack of tail lights. Less about yourself more about safe sharing of road.

Originally Posted by madRiver

(Couple of weeks ago I was deliberately driving with them off because I suspected the alternator was on the blink. THEN I felt a bit deprived)

You are missing the fact that headlights are a safety item. On a well lit road you can see fine without them however cars behind a higher rate of speed don't notice the vehicle due to lack of tail lights. Less about yourself more about safe sharing of road.

Yep. It's a two way street. Having the lights on makes you more visible to others.

I use my fog lights exactly for this purpose in rainy conditions.

Air conditioning
Cruise control

And I don't think it should be a requirement but I love the MPG gauge on my wife's Versa.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Sidelights and headlights are two different things, and are controlled independently. My tail lights come on with my sidelights.

I don't experience any practical difficulty in knowing when to turn either on, (except maybe very infrequently. in short tunnels), so I don't miss automation, and might resent the removal of control, as in if my alternator might be on the blink.

I do sometimes dip late though. I suppose it would be possible to automate that by sensing an oncoming vehicles light, but curves might confuse such a function, so maybe its better left manual.

Standard shift.

DRLs on cars and trucks should be prohibited, their use should be banned, they should be required to be disabled on all cars so equipped.

I do sometimes dip late though. I suppose it would be possible to automate that by sensing an oncoming vehicles light, but curves might confuse such a function, so maybe its better left manual.
Cadillac, and I think Packard, had that in the early '50s. Other cars have it now. Punch in auto high beams in YouTube's search box.

I've had vehicles with the auto-dimming and have experimented with it, but I prefer to pay attention myself.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I've had vehicles with the auto-dimming and have experimented with it, but I prefer to pay attention myself.
wink.gif

I have it in the current car. It works pretty well, it tends to err on the side of caution so sometimes a street light at an angle or curve will also set it off. It pretty much sees other cars all the time. Goes on an off all the time on certain roads with variable traffic. A lot easier to leave it on rather than flip it on and off all the time. Mine are bixenons so it comes on a bit more gradual as the shutter opens and closes for the high beams, it's actually a little less noticeable than just flipping them on or off.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Cadillac, and I think Packard, had that in the early '50s. Other cars have it now. Punch in auto high beams in YouTube's search box.

Chrysler also offered it in the 60's.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I think navigation systems that are self updating would be awesome

I also think heated and cooled seats would be nice too

Ahhh...this is just the repackaged whine of the uneducated car buyer. I know it all too well. Two hours after the new car is parked in the driveway, the salesman's phone is ringing and the customer is ready to explode screaming something like this:

"Whaddaya mean this car doesn't have cruise...cd player...heated seats...rear camera...navigation...floor mats...full size spare and a jack...I wanted a V-6 but you sold ma an I4, (et cetera and so on). I wanted it LOADED AND YOU TOLD ME IT WAS LOADED". This is almost immediately followed by..."Whaddaya mean I can't get another car? Whaddaya mean I'm stuck with this loan/lease?"

I have no sympathy for how anyone thinks a car should be equipped. Know what you're buying and learn your lesson if you didn't get what you wanted.

Originally Posted by ernied
remote starter you need it in this part of the country .

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
No, you don't.

Can't get that on Mercedes. They just started allowing it on their newer cars. Been fine without it though, the heated seats really heat up quick, much quicker than it takes for the heat to come on.

A driver that knows to turn their normal lights on at night and not the brights should be standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back