Mazda PEO1 14 302B Cut open (Factory Part)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

Incidentally, there was a matter out there re Skyactiv engine oil filters having a different bypass valve setting or a different kind of anti drainback valve (????) - and the comments were that there were relatively few jobber filter brands out there that had truly compatible filters (yet). I don't recall details beyond that. Would it be prudent, then, for the moment - to stick with the OEM filter (i.e. the dealer supplied Tokyo Roki filters)?

I've been trying to get to a true answer for this but have not been able to. Mazda is mute when it comes to technical data of their filter. After doing some research, if you call it that, I came to this conclusion posted on a Mazda specific forum.

From what I can tell, Mazda specified a different filter for the Skyactiv line up. A filter that had a higher bypass rating. People found out about this new filter via the announcement below and freaked out thinking that the Skyactiv filter was a "special" filter and using any other kind of filter would lead to sudden doom. When in reality, many aftermarket filters already achieved a bypass rating in the range of the new Skyactiv filter. Wix however, did not, so they created the 57002. This led to more freaking out as people now stated that since Wix created a new filter, there's must be the only aftermarket option to actually meet the "special" filter specifications. This whole Skyactiv filter fiasco is based on lack of knowledge and misunderstanding. This is speculation, and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but so far this seems like the only logical answer.

I would look at what wix sets the bypass rating at if it cannot be found anywhere else. Actually I guess I'm suggesting to either use wix because they are good about trying to match oem specs or use oem in a ,case like yours.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As for the efficiency, most all the OE/OEM keep that information proprietary. I'll say I'm skeptical of the information from oilfilterdata. IF it's the same Mazda OE application, description says it has an adbv, the topic filter does not. It would also make it not only the most efficient Asian filter application rating I've seen by far but right there with the most efficient filters. 17 an odd micron level, makes me wonder if it's quoted using the current test standard. Thanks for c&p.

+1, oilfilterdata.com has lots of misinformation ... not a real solid source of filter info. If I saw performance specs on that oil filter maker's website, then I'd believe that spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back