Kingston 240GB SSD Drive 32.99+tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Dell Inspiron Win7 laptop that we use for surfing, email, occasional Youtube etc., no gaming or videos. It's been running slower as it gets older. Would one of these help and could it be installed. I'm no electronics tech but I can follow directions. Thanks

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I have an older Dell Inspiron Win7 laptop that we use for surfing, email, occasional Youtube etc., no gaming or videos. It's been running slower as it gets older. Would one of these help and could it be installed. I'm no electronics tech but I can follow directions. Thanks

Yes you can install it, and it will speed up a lot, but you still need to remember it is an older computer and newer websites etc uses more CPU / graphics power, and if it is not slow because your hard drive is slow, chances are SSD won't help.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

Yes you can install it, and it will speed up a lot, but you still need to remember it is an older computer and newer websites etc uses more CPU / graphics power, and if it is not slow because your hard drive is slow, chances are SSD won't help.
I'll bet if you formatted and installed an SSD it would probably be good enough. If that doesn't do the trick, you can acquire a faster replacement with a mechanical drive and put the SSD in that. My boss bought a brand new lappy and I was shocked when he told me it had a mechanical drive, what a noob!

Its the single best thing you can do to speed up your computer. If you go this path do a fresh install of your OS. A side benefit is the SSD uses less power, good for battery life.

I converted my laptops over to SSD and it was a night and day difference with the boot time. That alone is well worth the price. I went from a few minutes to less than 20 seconds on boot time. Easily.

Threw a cheap Microcenter SSD in my old HP Elitebook 8730W and it's amazing. I removed the CD-ROM and installed the original hard drive in a caddy that fits in the CD-ROM's place. I use that drive for all my storage at the SSD is only responsible for running the OS and applications.

No one has mentioned the best part: BOOT TIMES! A SSD will blow your mind with how fast it boots from a total shutdown.

*Edit* beat to it by one post. Darn.

Last edited:
Has shown relative speed increases in every PC and laptop I have put one in. Best investment in PC's in a long time.

Just put one in wife's W10 Dell Inspiron, and she's quite happy. Was a dog with the rotating media ...

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Has shown relative speed increases in every PC and laptop I have put one in. Best investment in PC's in a long time.

Just put one in wife's W10 Dell Inspiron, and she's quite happy. Was a dog with the rotating media ...

Yea was working on the aunt's computer today.. its a relatively old i3 with a slug 500GB hdd and 4gb ram.
she was having issues with microsoft scam websites kept popping up.

Firefox took 47seconds to open because windows decided to get ready for some update.

Control panel was 1m 39seconds to get to the installed programs page.

I rebooted it because there was no way to stop the "backup in progress" windows backup isnt even setup.. its a windows update thing.

Still slow. Took me 30min to do something should have taken 5min.

Hdd was pegged at 100% use the whole time.. sometimes at under 1MB/sec

Its getting one of the 2 SSDs I need it to have one to save my sanity if I'm going to be working on this laptop.

The relatively old I3 was chugging along at 25-33% load most of the time.. yet almost locked up solid.

Yes, an SSD swap is unbelieveably night and day difference.

I work on an IT Help Desk and was finishing working on a laptop a coworker had just put a new SSD hard drive in it today. I was amazed at how fast it was and checked the sticker to see if it was brand new, it's probably 5 years old! I didn't know he put an SSD in it at first. Then come to found out he replaced the hard drive because it was ungodly slow.

Are these as reliable as HDDs for file storage (I presume not but don't really know) ? -Thanks

Yes
Originally Posted by PandaBear

The biggest choke in older computers with web browsing is disk speed. Upgrading to Win10 is also prudent if you can acquire a copy. These sub $50 SDDs have saved quite a few computers from trash bin/recycler.

Originally Posted by rkpatt
Are these as reliable as HDDs for file storage (I presume not but don't really know) ? -Thanks

SSD's are solely used for speeding up OS boot times and app load times. SSD's can be used to store personal data but risk sudden data loss and unrecoverable data.

I have personal data stored on a 1TB SSD but it gets regularly backed up to a networked HDD.

Originally Posted by rkpatt

SSD reliability is a double edged sword.

They have no moving parts, which is especially significant in a laptop. Most laptops for a while have had something called a sudden motion sensor, which parks the head on the hard drive when it senses shocks and other things, but it's not perfect and the knocks/bumps a laptop is susceptible too can be deadly for rotating media. I would say that head crashes are not common these days, but they can be catastrophic when they do happen-especially with the data density on a 500gb+ 2.5" drive.

At the same time, the NANDs in an SSD are rated for a finite number of read/write cycles. They are engineered for the application. As an example, it's somewhat common in obsolete/vintage computers to use a Compact Flash or SD-card based adapter to replace things like laptop IDE drives, which are getting scarce, or even more exotic things like SCSI. I ONLY consider this a solution for lightly-used computers where a proper drive is very difficult to find("real" SSDs are doable for most IDE applications for about the same cost, while I keep stashes of things like 2.5" SCSI drives on hand) as that type of media is mostly designed to be written to sequentially, read from, and then erased. Computers, especially those with some form of virtual RAM, are constantly reading and writing to the disk. "Real" SSDs(this Kingston falls in that category) are designed for the kind of read/write beating that a computer drive gets.

Aside from that, one of the big things a higher end SSD gets you is better longevity in terms of read/write. I've installed a handful of Samsung EVO 860s, which I consider something of a benchmark in both quality and performance for consumer level SSDs. These drives are rated for a total lifetime write capacity 600x the capacity, which translates to a really, really long time for most folks. I don't know what these Kingstons are rated, but I'd be shocked if it's less than 200x the capacity, and probably more like 300x.

Modern SSDs are "smart" enough to use things like "wear leveling" to make sure that the individual NAND cells are getting written to and read from evenly.

Also, after installing you should enable TRIM. This has to do with how the OS handles actually deleting files from the SSD(on a platter drive, when data is "deleted" it normally is just marked by the drive controller as being deleted and then the drive overwrites it when it needs the space-SSDs are a bit more complicated). Proper use of TRIM, which happens behind the scenes and is invisible most of the time, both keeps up the performance and reduces wear on the drive. I'm not sure what's needed to enable it on Windows. On recent versions of Mac OS(I think 10.11 and newer) you just need to go into Terminal and type "sudo trimforce enable"(older versions require the use of a 3rd party tool).

In any case, the one big downside of SSDs is that if they do die, data recovery can be SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult than with a platter hard drive. Still, the old rules continue to apply-keep a backup of your data! SSDs are a lot more reliable than floppy disks, CD-Rs, and really pretty much any other type of removable media. I still like a big external platter drive that plugs into a USB port for backup.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I've got one in my current desktop I built two years ago, it's been fine so far. Of course I have a second HDD that I backup my files into every once in a while.

That's interesting and almost exactly my situation. I have an SSD in my desktop, built almost six years ago. I backup to an external HDD when I think of it (turns out to be every 5-10 days). I don't add a lot of data to mine regularly or I would back it up on a daily basis.

But, not to go off topic, that is a good deal (I would go for the 120GB version) if I needed one. Having built this system with a HDD and having switched to an SSD after a couple of years I can say it is a night and day difference. It was more dramatic that going from the original 4GB to 8GB system memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back