Motul Power 4100 or Total Quartz 7000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people, new member here! I would like to know your opinion, and maybe some important differences, on these two oils:

> Motul Power 4100 SL 15W50 Technosynthese (https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/4100-power-15w50)

> Total Quartz 7000 SL 15W50 Semi Synthetic (http://www.lubs-products-database.total.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/14000/14200)

I live in Brazil where the temperature never goes below 50°F, and has a lot of humidity.

I drive (since May) a 1994 Chevrolet Kadett 1.8 EFi, the car is a neat ethanol car, so running on E100 since factory. I use it 90% of the time on fast roads doing around 60 to 90mph, and sometimes i have to do short trips (10 miles).

The owner's manual asks to use 15W40 or 20W50. When i bought the car i did the first change with a conventional Mobil 20W50 just to change it, after some research i decide to use the Total last week, but the Motul is still in my head.

The Total is a little bit cheaper and the specs says is good for ethanol, although i think every gas oil should be good for ethanol.

What do you think is better?

Since you are runing on ethanol...then choose oil wich has higher TBN...

Acea A3/B4...has TBN 10 as minimum! Total seems to be API only...I would choose Motul in that case!

Not because of its name...but because of higher/better specifcations ...

Last edited:
Funny..the link on the Motul site points to A3/B3 spec with TBN 8.0mgKOH/g. (y11/12)

Anyway,ACEA A3/B4 mandates TBN>10 nowadays.

P.S. weird..cannot find the relevant TDS...the latest was from 2015 with TBN of 9.0(!?) . This doesn't correspond well with the ACEA perf.claims requirements :)

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Since you are runing on ethanol...then choose oil wich has higher TBN...

Acea A3/B4...has TBN 10 as minimum! Total seems to be API only...I would choose Motul in that case!

Not because of its name...but because of higher/better specifcations ...

Thanks for the tip! =)

I'd pick the Motul in this case. But they probably are very very close oils...same country of origin, maybe Motul is buying its base oil from Total, who knows?

Edit : my bad, the Total isn't the same as what we get here. On paper Motul appears to be a better oil.

Last edited:
The Total 15w50 that we get in Europe has this description: Synthetic based oil for Gasoline and Diesel engines. ACEA A3/B4. API SL/CF. PSA PEUGEOT CITROENB71 2294 & B71 2300, VOLKSWAGEN 501.01/505.00, MERCEDES - BENZ MB 229.1 I don't think you could go wrong with either product.

Originally Posted by Ether
The Total 15w50 that we get in Europe has this description: Synthetic based oil for Gasoline and Diesel engines. ACEA A3/B4. API SL/CF. PSA PEUGEOT CITROENB71 2294 & B71 2300, VOLKSWAGEN 501.01/505.00, MERCEDES - BENZ MB 229.1 I don't think you could go wrong with either product.

Once again, all "recommended for", as far as I can tell it has none of those actual specifications or approvals. For sure it doesn't have the Mercedes Benz one as it isn't worded properly for an actual approval and does not appear on their list of approved oils. It is also not API licensed SL/CF.

In contrast the Motul product words the MB approval properly and is API licensed.

Yes i saw it on the website, but i find it strange that it seems to be a totally different oil from the one i got here (link on the first post) comparing the specs. The thing i like about the Total is that it seems to flow better at 40ºC (137 cst), but the one sold in Europe shows a viscosity of 160 cst....

One more reason to choose the Motul, their description are the same in every country for this oil.

Sine i have one more liter of the Total, i will buy 3 more for the next oil change and then go for the Motul.

But yeah, both products are good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeoStrop

Yes i saw it on the website, but i find it strange that it seems to be a totally different oil from the one i got here (link on the first post) comparing the specs. The thing i like about the Total is that it seems to flow better at 40ºC (137 cst), but the one sold in Europe shows a viscosity of 160 cst....

One more reason to choose the Motul, their description are the same in every country for this oil.

Sine i have one more liter of the Total, i will buy 3 more for the next oil change and then go for the Motul.

But yeah, both products are good.

I'm not sure what "flow" has to do with anything, especially at that temperature.

I'd pick an oil that has actual certifications and approvals any day over one that does not.

Why not look into a product like Ravenol?They make approved oils which are blended with PAO. I'm assuming thats important to you. No doubt Motul has built a great reputation in racing. I'm just not so convinced they are superior to readily available/approved PCMO's, which are much less expensive.

I use to be a proponent of "real synthetics". After much research I found this to be a psychological good feels thing, with no measureable real world benefits. With how advanced modern engine oils are these days, I just don't see the benefit of paying premium prices for any non approved fluid. But to each their own. Good luck

Last edited:
Actually Motul is nothing special in comparison with other brands except in their line with esters (300V, 5100, 800)...

That is the reason that I said that I am not choosing that oil because of its name...but because of better specs

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Actually Motul is nothing special in comparison with other brands except in their line with esters (300V, 5100, 800)...

That is the reason that I said that I am not choosing that oil because of its name...but because of better specs

Which the Motul has and the Total does not.

Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
Why not look into a product like Ravenol?They make approved oils which are blended with PAO. I'm assuming thats important to you. No doubt Motul has built a great reputation in racing. I'm just not so convinced they are superior to readily available/approved PCMO's, which are much less expensive.

I use to be a proponent of "real synthetics". After much research I found this to be a psychological good feels thing, with no measureable real world benefits. With how advanced modern engine oils are these days, I just don't see the benefit of paying premium prices for any non approved fluid. But to each their own. Good luck

I forgot to add to the OP, but these are the two options that i have avaible here, as i want to stay with the 15W50. The other choice would be some 15W40 syntethics or minerals 20W50.

Just thought to add some pictures of the car
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still somehow trying to decide which way to go, stick with the 15W50 or go 15W40 (not very good options around here) or 10W40 (too thin?)

Valve cover gasket change coming soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeoStrop
Just thought to add some pictures of the car
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Still somehow trying to decide which way to go, stick with the 15W50 or go 15W40 (not very good options around here) or 10W40 (too thin?)

Valve cover gasket change coming soon.

Nice car👠Looks like a opel kadett

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

Nice car👠Looks like a opel kadett

Thanks!!

Yeah it's basically the same thing, but it is produced by Chevrolet here. But the engine only runs on ethanol. You can see the reservoir with the red cap, should be filled with gasoline for the cold starts.

The car is very new, i bought it from an old lady, original owner since 1994. It only has 42.000km on the clock

If you could find these or the equivalent, then something like Mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Chevron Delo 400 LE in 15W-40 would be ideal. I was thinking Shell Rotella T4, but the current formula no longer has gasoline ratings. Not that you're running on gasoline, but I assume ethanol-fueled vehicles still have catalytic converters.

Of course this is assuming that the equivalent exists where you're located. I did a quick search, and this (Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40) appears to be available in your country:

https://www.mobil.com/english-br/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/glbrmobil-delvac-mx-15w40
https://www.mobil.com/Portuguese-BR/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLBRMobil-Delvac-MX-15W40

It only claims to meet API SL, but that shouldn't be an issue with a vehicle as old as this one. A lot of the newer vehicles have tighter controls on emissions. Now my Portugese is nonexistent, but it looks like there are a variety of 15W-40 motor oils sold in this marketplace. Not sure if you need 20 liters though. At least in the US, similar motor oil would be available in 1 gallon (3.78 liter) containers. 20 liters would probably be a suitable quantity for commercial trucking, but in the United States we have a lot of light-duty diesel vehicles that could use a 15W-40 diesel oil. You might have other options for 1 liter or 5 liter containers.

https://veiculos.mercadolivre.com.br/acessorios/oleo-mobil-15w40-20-litros

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by y_p_w
If you could find these or the equivalent, then something like Mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Chevron Delo 400 LE in 15W-40 would be ideal. I was thinking Shell Rotella T4, but the current formula no longer has gasoline ratings. Not that you're running on gasoline, but I assume ethanol-fueled vehicles still have catalytic converters.

Thanks for taking your time to go trough this!

My car doesn't have a catalytic converter, it is originally like that.

I briefly looked into the diesel options, but all of them are conventional oils. I thought maybe a semi was better?

Of course this is assuming that the equivalent exists where you're located. I did a quick search, and this (Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40) appears to be available in your country:

https://www.mobil.com/english-br/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/glbrmobil-delvac-mx-15w40
https://www.mobil.com/Portuguese-BR/Commercial-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLBRMobil-Delvac-MX-15W40

Looks good, but i am looking in some places to buy, but can't find this one in 4L.

The ones i can are:

http://mobil.moovelub.com/sites/default/files/mobil_delvac_super_1400_v2_15w-40_pds_2018.pdf

http://mobil.moovelub.com/sites/default/files/mobil_delvac_mx_ld_15w-40_pds_2017.pdf

It only claims to meet API SL, but that shouldn't be an issue with a vehicle as old as this one. A lot of the newer vehicles have tighter controls on emissions. Now my Portugese is nonexistent, but it looks like there are a variety of 15W-40 motor oils sold in this marketplace. Not sure if you need 20 liters though. At least in the US, similar motor oil would be available in 1 gallon (3.78 liter) containers. 20 liters would probably be a suitable quantity for commercial trucking, but in the United States we have a lot of light-duty diesel vehicles that could use a 15W-40 diesel oil. You might have other options for 1 liter or 5 liter containers.

https://veiculos.mercadolivre.com.br/acessorios/oleo-mobil-15w40-20-litros

SL is ok and i think it should have a higher content of Phos&Zinc, which is good. If i want SN, i have to go 10W40, which also seem to have some stout options:

https://www.motul.com/br/en/products/4100-turbolight-10w40

http://www.lubs-products-database.total.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/14000/14198

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back