Seeking Exterior Home Aesthetic Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a shot of my home. My wife and I have worked hard to clean things up since this picture. I have removed that weeping bush thing covering the window, trimmed back the other bushes, and removed the big branch overhanging the yard on the left, and got rid of the weeds, and seeded the yard. What I still don't like is the clear panels covering the top of the front door. I was thinking it would look fantastic if those were copper color. I was wondering what the thoughts are about that possibility, or if anybody had other ideas of what might look good instead of those clear panels.

Would something like this work? They are plastic, so should be weather proof...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-...anel-in-Polished-Copper-S55-25/203862246

House.jpg

If you could take a closer pic that would be nice, but I agree with you. Copper would look a little strange without matching copper in other places to my eyes, but it's not my house. I've never seen corrugated copper roofing sheets in my life, but I am sure they exist or can be made with a form of some type.

Honestly man, I would want to build a portico there and match the rest of the roof and trim. I have a feeling that's what was there originally, that horizontal beam above the clear plastic just screams hack job. I'll bet you it rotted out and someone replaced it with that monstrosity.

If it were mine, I would want to just have the space filled in with a normal shingled roof area to match the rest of the home and also prevent any kind of drainage or water intrusion issues.

I, too, don't understand what the panels do. If they have to be there, you could go with galvanized corrugated steel panels.

Originally Posted by Greggy_D
Are the panels there for a functional reason?

I like to have that little area to step outside in the rain and not get rained on...so I would like to keep something up there at least for that reason alone.

Here is the house shortly after it was constructed...so it was built on purpose like that. Originally it had the beams, but no covering. The house is VERY unique with 5 different levels, and hidden rooms, which is why we love it...totally different than anything else. I am just trying to think of a cheaper way to fix the way those clear panels look. I do not want to just fill it in with roofing, as I prefer the unique look.

House2.jpg

I would think there would be a significant difference going from what looks to be opaque to something that darkens...and that would be my first concern. IMO, you have the "cover the entry/portico" element...and the "how does what I put there effect the light through the entry windows and do I like it?" element..

Originally Posted by edwardh1
front windows far too small.
many DIY owner homes have too small windows

The back is literally COVERED in windows...I like having few windows in the front, as people driving up can't see in.

Really not looking at changing anything else about the house...we love it the way it is, just don't like the clear panels.

house3.jpg

house4.jpg

Originally Posted by ET16
I, too, don't understand what the panels do. If they have to be there, you could go with galvanized corrugated steel panels.
Judging by the wreath in OP's latest pic, it was to display things above the door and give you a little shelter. Galvanized steel....yikes I think I would take the clear plastic for the light, and steel would be loud when it rains.

When I was young my friends used to stop at my front door on the way to school, one day my porch was a sheet of ice and I immediately went head over heels on my bottom the second I stepped upon it. Didn't see that one coming, I was young and my backpack cushioned the blow but if that happened to an elderly person, it could have been bad. I can see why the OP would want some shelter there.

My friends didn't say a word and watched it happen, thanks guys!

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by edwardh1
front windows far too small.
many DIY owner homes have too small windows

The back is literally COVERED in windows...I like having few windows in the front, as people driving up can't see in.

Really not looking at changing anything else about the house...we love it the way it is, just don't like the clear panels.
Lovely house and property, sir. I love the fence! Very rustic!

Is that circle above the front door a window or a Christmas wreath? If a window then I could see the original owners idea of a clear cover.

It would look good with a bronze colored metal roofing as long as the supporting structure is sound.

You could also plant some color up front to break up all the green landscape. That could be permanent bushes or shrubs or large pots with annuals.

Nice place. Hard to tell from the old pic, it looks like the entry door was moved out and the wall is now flush from ground level up to the top of the wall with the wreath on it? Actual standing rib roofing in copper or whatever color would fit the character of the house with the steep pitch. You could change the pitch and extend that feature out a couple of feet and not try to match the pitch of the roof. Interesting place.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Nice place. Hard to tell from the old pic, it looks like the entry door was moved out and the wall is now flush from ground level up to the top of the wall with the wreath on it? Actual standing rib roofing in copper or whatever color would fit the character of the house with the steep pitch. You could change the pitch and extend that feature out a couple of feet and not try to match the pitch of the roof. Interesting place.

You are correct, the door has been moved out and is now flush with the wall with the wreath (yes, I believe that is a Christmas wreath, it is NOT a window as all the plumbing for the upstairs bathroom runs right behind it).

Thank you for the kind compliments, guys, we do love our house!

"Honestly man, I would want to build a portico there and match the rest of the roof and trim. I have a feeling that's what was there originally, that horizontal beam above the clear plastic just screams hack job. I'll bet you it rotted out and someone replaced it with that monstrosity."

I think that "beam" might be flashing to prevent rain runoff from hitting the panel area. I suspect some water was dripping in.

Part of me thinks an aluminum arched structure and a fabric awning would be cool, and add a splash of color. I used to work at a funeral home that had dark green awnings in the winter and changed them out for yellow ones in the summer. It changed-up the look a little and added some color to the white stucco building.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"Honestly man, I would want to build a portico there and match the rest of the roof and trim. I have a feeling that's what was there originally, that horizontal beam above the clear plastic just screams hack job. I'll bet you it rotted out and someone replaced it with that monstrosity."

I think that "beam" might be flashing to prevent rain runoff from hitting the panel area. I suspect some water was dripping in.
It's a deflector to stop water running down the front and sides because it has no eaves. The reason I say hack job is because if that is nailed through the shingles with no flashing, it is going to leak eventually.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by PimTac

It's a deflector to stop water running down the front and sides because it has no eaves. The reason I say hack job is because if that is nailed through the shingles with no flashing, it is going to leak eventually.

Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back