Emissions warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if mufflers are part of an emissions warranty? Wife's 2013 Chevy Equinox didn't come with much info. After only 5 years and 58,000 miles the seam on her muffler has split open and it's sounding like a riced-out Civic. Thankfully it's after the cat, it's not throwing any check engine lights, and it doesn't look like it would be too many $$$ to replace.

Only to the Catalyst is usually covered. You might check with GM though and see if they will do it. 58,000 miles isn't a whole lot.

doubtful the 2010 hyundai rusted out pipes and they werent covered.

I tried the argument.. but its failing the emmissions due to rust holes so it should be covered but I didnt get anywhere with it.

They hit back with "our computer tells us which parts are covered and only those are covered"

A muffler is not part of an emissions warranty. They might goodwill under the expired basic warranty, maybe.

This is a safety hazard because of carbon monoxide. They should fix it, if not then you can notify the National Highway traffic safety administration, if there are many reports they can trigger a recall.

Mostly you are stuck.

Rod

Dont waste your time at the dealer, unless its a cat its not covered, theyll hit you for a diag fee and you wont get anything. Just find a decent muffler shop and maybe they can repair it for now for a little more than just the diag.

Already rusted out in 5 years?
mad.gif

If you're lucky, you can get one of those exhausts on ebay made of 304
smile.gif

Complain to NHTSA and pay to fix it.

NHTSA may go after a company for a safety recall within an 8 year window if they get enough complaints.

Thanks, I kind of suspected it might be a "too bad, so sad" if I tried to ask the dealer. They've already repainted the rust-prone doors and replaced the troublesome cam phaser solenoids under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back