Jeep TJ Running Rough Before & After Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autozone or others should let you rent a scammer, to see the o2 voltage, should cycle .1 to.9 back and forth, also show short and long term fuel trims, tps and lots of other data.

My 2002 TJ came with regular Champion plugs, I switched to double platinum and had issues, switched back to regular Champions in the form of their "Truck Plugs" and had good results. Forward to 2006, I had a new 06 Rubicon that I hydrolocked. The 06 had NGK plugs from the factory. The night I hydrolocked it, I had to reuse the original NGK plugs, but later installed a new set of Champion "Truck Plugs" I had at home.

The engine ran smoother with the old set of NGKs that had been hydrolocked than it did with the new set of Champions. Champion "Truck Plugs" for this application are standard old spark plugs, not platinum or any other more modern materials.

I'm a firm believer in the plain old NGKs for that engine.

I have also seen issues with the coil rail causing a rough running issue, they are under $100.00.

I'm not bashing Champion here in any way, just passing on my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's Update: Jeep appears to be fixed. Hallelujah!

Dealership ran a diagnostic: All fuel injectors within spec, fuel pressure okay, compression tests within spec, electrical system okay, ignition coil okay, intermittent miss. Tech pulled spark plugs (ones my son just installed) and found one that was defective, apparently internally, because there was no evidence of any cracks externally. They put in NGK spark plugs and it runs fine now. Son got the Autolite spark plugs back and is taking them back to Autozone for a refund. Dealership only charged him $150 too, so that was good, considering other potential issues.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Originally Posted by Auae85
Today's Update: Jeep appears to be fixed. Hallelujah!

Dealership ran a diagnostic: All fuel injectors within spec, fuel pressure okay, compression tests within spec, electrical system okay, ignition coil okay, intermittent miss. Tech pulled spark plugs (ones my son just installed) and found one that was defective, apparently internally, because there was no evidence of any cracks externally. They put in NGK spark plugs and it runs fine now. Son got the Autolite spark plugs back and is taking them back to Autozone for a refund. Dealership only charged him $150 too, so that was good, considering other potential issues.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Nice! Cheap fixes are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back