Subaru Ascent and Boxer Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I was looking at an ad for the Subaru Ascent and they were extolling the virtues of the Boxer engine. Are the last 5 years of Subaru Boxer engines reliable? I recall the old ones might have had head gasket problems. I see Subaru refuses to give up the Boxer. Any other issues?
smile.gif
Thanks.

Try to avoid first year in general. Even if it is proven engine, and it is not, there will be other "infant" issues.
However their Ascent commercials are coming straight out of KGB propaganda kitchen.

You obviously don't know what "LOVE" is!

What love man?
Their Ascent commercial goes this way: You watch your kids die, then your spouse then you die, unless of course, you get Ascent. In reality they put Falken tires on it, which after 10k will probably do 200ft instead of what car and driver measured (178ft). Those commercials do not have anything that draws on Subaru legacy, it is pure fear mongering.
And Subaru customers take that so literally that every time I see one in rear view mirror I step on the gas as I know probability of them having worn out tires is like 99%. Considering "power" they packing, getting away is really no sweat.
If they just kept dog, kayaking commercials only, not not this "your family will die in miserable death" commercials.

crackmeup2.gif

I'm assuming your post is in the same sarcastic tone as mine. If you're truly angry, then I guess I'm sorry my tone wasn't clear in my previous post.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
The boxer engine is Subaru's identity and their tradition. If they ever had to switch to a inline or v engine it would be one from Toyota.

Subaru did build an I-3 for the Justy a long, long time ago. Their kei cars in Japan are simply Toyota or Mazda products.

Their Ascent commercial goes this way: You watch your kids die, then your spouse then you die, unless of course, you get Ascent. In reality they put Falken tires on it, which after 10k will probably do 200ft instead of what car and driver measured (178ft). Those commercials do not have anything that draws on Subaru legacy, it is pure fear mongering.
And Subaru customers take that so literally that every time I see one in rear view mirror I step on the gas as I know probability of them having worn out tires is like 99%. Considering "power" they packing, getting away is really no sweat.
If they just kept dog, kayaking commercials only, not not this "your family will die in miserable death" commercials.

That sounds more like a Lexus or Mercedes tactic. But for real Subaru, Falken, man, why? Let the ricers or the WRX bois have their Falkens. But then again, the OEM Falkens on a friend's Ascent look better than the Bridgestone or Dunlop vomit Toyota installs on the Highlander and Lexus RX(without the 20+ inch wheel option which upgrades you to Michelin Premier LTXs)

crackmeup2.gif

I'm assuming your post is in the same sarcastic tone as mine. If you're truly angry, then I guess I'm sorry my tone wasn't clear in my previous post.
cheers3.gif

I am angry because I am watching TV and then those fear mongering commercials by Subaru pop out every 5 min. Considering their vehicles are first in the ditch here in Colorado when it gets slippery, something does not add up there.
They build cars now for people who do not let kids out at 60 degrees because it is too cold, or buy food online because driving to grocery store is too dangerous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
The boxer engine is Subaru's identity and their tradition. If they ever had to switch to a inline or v engine it would be one from Toyota.

Subaru did build an I-3 for the Justy a long, long time ago. Their kei cars in Japan are simply Toyota or Mazda products.

Yep, it's all in the same family.

crackmeup2.gif

cheers3.gif

I am angry because I am watching TV and then those fear mongering commercials by Subaru pop out every 5 min. Considering their vehicles are first in the ditch here in Colorado when it gets slippery, something does not add up there.
They build cars now for people who do not let kids out at 60 degrees because it is too cold, or buy food online because driving to grocery store is too dangerous.

Curmudgeon post of the year.

Ever since he switched from a BMW to a Toyota he's been like that for some reason. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder. I'm not bashing Toyota here and I own two of them.

crackmeup2.gif

cheers3.gif

I feel ya - I get tired of the same commercials being played on Hulu every five minutes. I mean, my pipes work just fine, over-active-bladder medication commercial! When I do have problems some time in the future, I'll just spend my money on more Depends, out of pure spite!

Don't agree about Subarus. I think we see what we want to see; kinda like never having seen SO MANY Foresters on the road until after I started researching to buy it or after I bought one.

When I drove through an ice storm in IL, on my way to MO, I saw EVERY kind of car in the ditch. Even after seeing this, including some people UPSIDE DOWN in the ditches, the majority of morons passing me in my Subaru were typically trucks and SUV's. The rest of us maintained a safe, slow speed, since the ice literally could not be seen, and EVERYTHING was ice, come to find out.

I'm talking literally dozens of cars in the ditches over a span of 20 miles, probably more! I don't recall seeing any Subarus,though...
27.gif

K
Someone on NASIOC just posted this:

Originally Posted by Calamity Jesus;45821061

It's a nice vehicle. Going back to wagons.

The guy in the video is not needed. He is just a distraction.

gathermewool When I drove through an ice storm in IL said:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/27.gif[/IMG]
In Tahoe after a snowfall, you'll usually see Range Rovers and "nice" trucks (anything higher than Lariat/LT and their Chrysler/Toyota equivalents) in the ditch. But I've seen a few WRXs eat it.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I was a little surprised that they didn't put the flat six in these.
The turbo four should work okay since Subaru has plenty of experience with these.
The flat engine is a Subaru trademark going back to the first real cars Subaru sold in this country more than forty years ago and will be around for probably as long as there are Subarus.

Yea it sucks with the trend of downsizing although i think Japan has some kinda excise tax on engines bigger than 4 cylinders, But it shouldnt matter if your exporting, maybe. Would be nice if they brought back a version of small 3.0l h6 they had before make it meet emissions add a turbo and make it run on regular like the new 2.4. probably make an easy 300hp/300lb-ft while getting the same mpg.

Last edited:
K
Someone on NASIOC just posted this:

Calamity Jesus;45821061 said:
It's a nice vehicle. Going back to wagons.

The guy in the video is not needed. He is just a distraction.

I dunno, I didn't mind the video at all. I though it was succinct and humorous, though not very terribly clever.

Seeing the two dudes in the 2nd/3rd row at the same time was good, too. Could have done without the chap stick shtick.

Originally Posted by DaRider34
Originally Posted by fdcg27
I was a little surprised that they didn't put the flat six in these.
The turbo four should work okay since Subaru has plenty of experience with these.
The flat engine is a Subaru trademark going back to the first real cars Subaru sold in this country more than forty years ago and will be around for probably as long as there are Subarus.

Yea it sucks with the trend of downsizing although i think Japan has some kinda excise tax on engines bigger than 4 cylinders, But it shouldnt matter if your exporting, maybe. Would be nice if they brought back a version of small 3.0l h6 they had before make it meet emissions add a turbo and make it run on regular like the new 2.4. probably make an easy 300hp/300lb-ft while getting the same mpg.

I am guessing that the engine size was chosen to keep the average Subaru fleet fuel economy numbers lower.

"The flat engine is a Subaru trademark going back to the first real cars Subaru sold in this country more than forty years ago and will be around for probably as long as there are Subarus."

Along with the boxer engine, the other Subaru trademark is the roof rack they use on the Outback. While it does have functionality, it has kept that safari look for decades now. I wish they would update that.

There is or was a euro style version on the upper end trim models. That looked much better. Of course, this is all personal observation. Everyone has their tastes.

4 cylinder engines with turbos instead of naturally aspirated 6 cylinder engines being used on more than a few cars these days

Originally Posted by SeaJay
4 cylinder engines with turbos instead of naturally aspirated 6 cylinder engines being used on more than a few cars these days

But the Subaru doesn't feel "slow". I drove a BMW X1 or X3 with the turbo 4 from the Mini Cooper S and it felt woefully underpowered. The Ascent feels almost right.

FA20DIT:
Bore: 86 mm
Stroke: 86 mm
CR: 10.6:1
HP: 250 @ 5600 RPM (258 ft-lbs @ 2k RPM)
Super square...

FA24DIT:
Bore: 94 mm
Stroke: 86 mm
CR: 10.6:1
HP: 260 @ 5600 RPM (277 ft-lbs @ 2K RPM)

Noticed FA series has the same stroke as the EE boxer diesel, same bore too on the 2.0L version. Thinking they built the FA off the EE series, already a good strong block and crank there. They change displacement by bore mostly since the deck height of the boxer engine is seriously limited. 86mm in a Subaru boxer is considered long stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back