Revisiting Fumoto Washer - blue or OEM?

I've used both and both worked. Is it still preferable to use the blue gasket/washer that comes with the Fumoto Drain Valve? I bought the regular not the SX which comes with a rubber o-ring.

I use the blue washer with all the ones I have installed except the one SX. They have never had an issue in the over decade long usage.

Did this thought ever cross your mind that using the Fumoto valve that you aren't draining all of the oil from the bottom of the oil pan?

Originally Posted by diyjake
Did this thought ever cross your mind that using the Fumoto valve that you aren't draining all of the oil from the bottom of the oil pan?

Your not draining out "ALL" of the oil if your using the drain plug. Think about it......

This keeps coming up and many of us using the valves have experienced the same amount of oil coming out either with the plug or the valve. I have tested it on multiple occasions and others here have tested it as well too.
Further there is a lot more oil in your engine that is left over that doesn't come out using the oil plug that even if there were oil in the pan from the FV it would be a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Last edited:
Just a related FYI:

As many will recall, I installed my first Fumoto drain valve on a neighbor's car because the local fast lube place stripped the oil pan's threads.

I felt using any gasket would've eaten up too much of the 1/2" of threaded body each Fumoto has.

I asked if there were longer reach versions and the Fumoto rep told me all have only 1/2".

I used Permatex Ultra Black oil resistant goo and used no gasket and all is well.

Just so you know....

When I transferred the Fumoto to the different engine installed by a shop they gave me the valve back without the blue washer that came with it. I used a washer I had for a Lexus. It worked, but valve ended up at a different angle. The blue washer was just right.

I use something similar now in an Elantra called EZ Oil Drain Valve. Pretty much the same as Fumoto as far as opening size. I drained out more oil than with the drain plug. I did take a nap so oil had more time to drain.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by diyjake

Your not draining out "ALL" of the oil if your using the drain plug. Think about it......

Yes I know that and I am sure you know what I meant. I was just thinking that the thread of the Fumoto valve sticks about a few Millimeters inside the oil pan and that would cause oil on the bottom of the pan to not be able to come out. I never had a fumoto valve but that is something that came to mine mind.

I would worry about damage to the Fumoto valve's seat. Does it matter? I guess it depends on how often you take the Fumoto valve off and re-install it. I've only ever installed it once and then it's on there for life. If I get rid of the car, it stays with the car.

Typical crush washers are meant to do as the name implies, deform and fill any potential irregularities in the surface of the plug and drain pan. To do this, crush washers are made of a softer material than the seating surface in which it's used.

I have only used the blue washer on 6 different vehicles, never had a problem with it.
I have only taken a Fumoto off once (on a Jeep TJ, just to see how much oil was left with the Fumoto vs plug out, and was minuscule).

The plug hole on the pan of my F150 was pretty shot when I got it, so one of the reasons I got the Fumoto for that was to not make it worse, and so far so good (5 years and 7-8 oil changes).

Originally Posted by buster
I've used both and both worked. Is it still preferable to use the blue gasket/washer that comes with the Fumoto Drain Valve? I bought the regular not the SX which comes with a rubber o-ring.

I've used the blue washer along with an aluminum crush washer when installing them. No issues whatsoever.

I've had 3 of these in the past and I would just use common sense torque LOL.

Originally Posted by buster
How did you torque it?

I use my adjustable wrench, spin it around until snug and then do 1/2 turn from there. Good and tight and never comes loose. I have 9 of them in use and some over a decade in service.

Last edited:
Thanks!
smile.gif

My Fumoto has been on the car for 14 years, and has a grey gasket, not a blue one. It has had a tiny leak off and on for 13 years. Gave it a little more tightening today.

Every car would be different. However, I checked this on the last oil change for my 2011 Kia Optima. I drained the oil through the fumoto valve and let it drain for 30 minutes like I always do. I then removed the valve so that I could use it on my new Kia K5 when it came in. When I removed the valve there were three table spoons of oil (about 20 ml) after a further 15 minutes of draining. So I would suggest this is not an issue.

Back