Castrol Magnatec 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same startup protection found in Magnatec is also found in the Edge line. However, I noticed today that Magnatec 5w20 meets SN + AND dexos 1 gen2, where Edge EP does not. Also the Noack is 9.7% for Magnatec.

My car has seen only Mobil 1 0w20 since new, but Castrol ‘s unique startup chemistry appeals to me due to my 6 mile commute to work.

What do we know about Magnatec in relation to Edge? Noack is really good for this entire line. 6.9% for 10w30.

This was from bobbydavro of Castrol who posted this in another thread:

"Edge was launched in 2006 and was always positioned above Magnatec in terms of price and performance/spec coverage.

I spent some time in oz working on a hybrid project. Output of this was Magnatec hybrid 0W-20 for Japan. Hybrid engines don't always warm up fully so it's great to have an anti wear technology that works from cold.
Australia now has a good coverage of visc grades and specification coverage with the new Edge oils with Titan"

From what I understand Edge EP (gold bottle) is an older formulation, yet to be reformulated to meet SN+, though that doesn't mean it's a bad oil. I ran it for 13K in my Escape and it held up great. Edge (black bottle) just received a label redesign specifying SN+ and "Superior GDI Turbo formula" or something, though the older label style bottles have had Dexos1Gen2 logos for several months now. Magnatec was reformulated a while ago (a year maybe?) and while it used to be a syn blend it's now "full synthetic" and now it does carry SN+ and Dexos1Gen2... But still, Edge EP was never updated.

I wouldn't worry about SN+ I would go for whatever is a D1G2 oil. It's SN+ on steroids if you look at the differences between what each offer. That said I'm sure Edge will catch up it's either excessive inventory they need to get through or they are still certifying it which may have been delayed with GM moving the Dexos back in house and they don't want to release the new bottles until it carries both D1G2 and SN+ because of the cost of revamping the bottles etc. Just mustering a guess.

They are a quality lubricant company so it will happen I'm sure.

Last edited:
On the topic of Magnatec 5W-20, I still have the empty bottle that was used in my wife's '14 Fusion (1.5L Ecoboost) and just noticed that Castrol has a graphic on the front that says you can use 0W-20 whenever the automaker specs 5W-20. If I'm buying 5W-20 from Castrol, why do they care or recommend something else ?

We live in Ohio and can see cold temperatures in the single-digits for days or a week at a time. Colder temperatures aren't not unheard of either. She parks outside too (has a remote start to accommodate). Is temperature a consideration between these two oils ?

I'm fairly aware that 'in theory' you'd better better fuel economy, though likely nothing you'd realize without taking actual measurements or calculations.

What about 0W-40 in this vehicle ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
On the topic of Magnatec 5W-20, I still have the empty bottle that was used in my wife's '14 Fusion (1.5L Ecoboost) and just noticed that Castrol has a graphic on the front that says you can use 0W-20 whenever the automaker specs 5W-20. If I'm buying 5W-20 from Castrol, why do they care or recommend something else ?

We live in Ohio and can see cold temperatures in the single-digits for days or a week at a time. Colder temperatures aren't not unheard of either. She parks outside too (has a remote start to accommodate). Is temperature a consideration between these two oils ?

I'm fairly aware that 'in theory' you'd better better fuel economy, though likely nothing you'd realize without taking actual measurements or calculations.

What about 0W-40 in this vehicle ?

Isn't the 0w-20 dexos certified while the 5w-20 isn't? I could walk across the store and check but I'm too lazy right now...

Castrol's page says 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30 are all Dexos licensed.

Both Castrol products are top of the line products. Engine longevity will not effected by either when used in a manner somewhat recommended by owner's manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back