Nissan 5.6L Endurance V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trans has been worked hard in brutal heat - and been solid as a rock. Remember I have like 80% towing duty on mine

A guy using it for driving around duty or loading up the bed - probably couldn't kill it.

That said I maintain it I did ATF drain and fills at (something like) 30/60, and a pan drop/ full fluid, and pan filter change at like 90,
Those DF's were easy to do and only took a few minutes alongside the oil change at the time.

Mags had very light fuzz and remaining open area - one had some buildup on the top - but well contained. You can see the fingerprint dimple on it.

the guy whose lift I used is basically a private shop and he knew the story on the truck and has been impressed with how well its held up.

I've had chassis related parts go and wear with regularity - but in terms of engine and drivetrain, this thing has been great.

UD

Unknown-3.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures of the truck look very good. My friend has a bright red one and raves about it. Even without asking about it he brings up how nice it is.

I wanted to see how good the ridgelines AWD is in the soft rock and some hills so my buddy took the titan and followed.

I was going to push it and try to stick it to see what I can and can't get away with, so The Titan became the backup/bail out vehicle.

My version is loaded up with skid plates really solid offroad - I knew if I stuck the ridge the titan could yank it out.

It never looks steep in videos but you can hear the passengers in the titan following me - it was a fun half day run.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLg3wMw4hGs&t=176s

UD-did you have any apprehension when buying the Honda?
Engine issues?
Nice to see the size comparison as the Honda in the factory literature looks small but in person it isn't.

Great video.

The Ram 5 speed unit had two 2nd gear ratios. One for passing and one for leaving a stop. Wasn't a true 5 speed unit or so I've heard.

The Nissan 5.6 is excellent. Nissan got the engine right from day 1 minus the exhaust manifolds.

Originally Posted by Zee09
UD-did you have any apprehension when buying the Honda?
Engine issues?
Nice to see the size comparison as the Honda in the factory literature looks small but in person it isn't.

Great video.

Only one. The fact that its a timing belt rig vs. a chain rig. Ill have to pay to change it out around 60K or so grrrr!
The payback is the unreal smoothness at high RPM - the belt soaks up vibration the chains carry.

Zero engine issues but Ive only got 10K on it- its a sweet ride.
No truck rides better lightly loaded or doing auto duty and its loaded with technology.

Its a pretty good sized vehicle.

Thanks UD
The belt doesn't bother me.
I'd never do it but my neighbor put over 270k miles on his Camry and never serviced the belt.
Yikes!
Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks UD
The belt doesn't bother me.
I'd never do it but my neighbor put over 270k miles on his Camry and never serviced the belt.
Yikes!
Enjoy your new ride!

You probably know this -

With a non interference engine you can play till it quits then go in.

With an interference engine its russian roulette with an extra bullet in the chamber every 10K over 100K

Heat kills belts - because I tow through Arizona Ill stick to a low replacement point.

On the titans manifold I has a set replaced under warranty in cal you get 70K on any emission related part.
After that not in Cali just go with headers,
In Cali Ill go with an OEM part.
Iots of manufacturers go with a cat in header style now to save space - its a giant PIA out of warranty.

UD

Wasn't the Nissan Endurance engine based off the VK-series V8s used in the Infiniti Q45/M45 of that time, just based off an iron block with bigger bores, a different intake setup and different heads? I wonder if Nissan managed to avoid the issues that plagued the VQ-series V6s with their V8, especially the oil gallery gasket issue.

I remember Nissan was touting the Titan V8 as the most powerful stock V8 before Toyota took that claim with the Tundra's 3UR-FE and not counting GM's 6.0/6.2L Vortecs - the Titan wasn't a hot seller and it's certainly one of the most underrated trucks on the road.

I remember back before all the rest of these trucks got so nice on the inside (2007 I think?) my friend had a Titan that looked nice as an infiniti on the inside. Was pretty impressed.

Originally Posted by nthach
Wasn't the Nissan Endurance engine based off the VK-series V8s used in the Infiniti Q45/M45 of that time, just based off an iron block with bigger bores, a different intake setup and different heads? I wonder if Nissan managed to avoid the issues that plagued the VQ-series V6s with their V8, especially the oil gallery gasket issue.

I remember Nissan was touting the Titan V8 as the most powerful stock V8 before Toyota took that claim with the Tundra's 3UR-FE and not counting GM's 6.0/6.2L Vortecs - the Titan wasn't a hot seller and it's certainly one of the most underrated trucks on the road.

One would hope the revamp would have solved these issues.
I have read up on the new engine but never see that comparison.
Something to study for sure. I have a neighbor that has 145k miles on a early 2016 Titan.
He has nothing negative to say so far.

One would hope the revamp would have solved these issues.
I have read up on the new engine but never see that comparison.
Something to study for sure. I have a neighbor that has 145k miles on a early 2016 Titan.
He has nothing negative to say so far.

145k on a 2016? Wow!

The VK56 is considered a derivative of the 45.

There were many diff components and changes - starting with the alum block and pan as a stiffening components.
Bigger bore and stroke, new heads with bigger valves. (but room for even bigger ones)

I have some info I have to change the format because it won't post Ill share.

My 04 truck will defacate all over a current new chevy 5.3 (Fast lane truck tested) , really only the chevy 6.2 and the EB 3.5 and large (not 5.7) hemi are demonstrably harder pullers- the 8 and ten speed trans help out for sure.

The 3.5 6 and 10 speed are the only 1/2 ton truck Ive driven that I consider demonstrably better and it only had 420 FT lb vs the 379 my old titan has.

Because I tow through the desert and altitude - the heat and height just kill the NA trucks performance where the EB can pull 2 - sometime 3 gears higher in utter silence where the NA trucks are 2nd and 3 roaring their guts out - you can make a speakerphone call and its quiet inside.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

There were many diff components and changes - starting with the alum block and pan as a stiffening components.
Bigger bore and stroke, new heads with bigger valves. (but room for even bigger ones)

My 04 truck will defacate all over a current new chevy 5.3 (Fast lane truck tested) , really only the chevy 6.2 and the EB 3.5 and large (not 5.7) hemi are demonstrably harder pullers- the 8 and ten speed trans help out for sure.

The 3.5 6 and 10 speed are the only 1/2 ton truck Ive driven that I consider demonstrably better and it only had 420 FT lb vs the 379 my old titan has.

Because I tow through the desert and altitude - the heat and height just kill the NA trucks performance where the EB can pull 2 - sometime 3 gears higher in utter silence where the NA trucks are 2nd and 3 roaring their guts out - you can make a speakerphone call and its quiet inside.

UD

Bet they won't go as long without failure, though. Much higher-strung engines.

At least they have the 5 yr- 100K warranty bumper to bumper

I don't think it is.

Im pretty sure its 3/36K bumper to bumper and 5/60 on the powertrain.

Given a standard 5 years of payments and 12K a year - you barely make the last payment and you're exposed.
Of course you can probably BUY a longer one.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer

UD

What would failure be? Turbo is present for decades and many NA engines have a lot of issues compared to many turbo engines.
In Europe some commercial vehicles are running 1.0 3-cyl or 1.2tdi 3-cyl engines with turbo and make hundreds of thousands of miles.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by john_pifer

UD

What would failure be? Turbo is present for decades and many NA engines have a lot of issues compared to many turbo engines.
In Europe some commercial vehicles are running 1.0 3-cyl or 1.2tdi 3-cyl engines with turbo and make hundreds of thousands of miles.

By "failure", I mean a major, expensive component breaking and putting the vehicle out of commission.

The F-150 EB engine being more complex and power-dense means its chances of a failure at any given time are higher, and, the more miles and time it accumulates, the greater those chances.

The first gen eco has some problems. "One of our own" on a boating forum lost a lower end when a piston skirt went.

Id be more confident in the latter ones.

It is true that in a more complex vehicle (blown turbo"d) there is in general more of everything to go back and all of its interconnected pieces and plumbing -
there will be failure at some point but down the road - but well maintained well you can get a long time of out of modern turbos.

Its worth mentioning one of the sprinters in my sig line lost a turbo - intake side of the compressor wheel (of course!) shattered fillingsthe engine with metal - at 5 years and 35K miles.

My 1998 Cat Turbodiesel motorhome is a rock after all this time.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back