Europe's GM oil req Now Like the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I've never owned a Ford or Vauxhall, I'd agree that the Astra & Focus are okay-ish cars, the problem has always been their associated economics. Here's a press article I pulled at random.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwi...s-pileem-high-sellem-cheap/#40f73146f7fe

GM Europe lost an eye watering $US 20 billion since the turn of the millennium, which probably explains why they were ready to give away the company to PSA at a fire sale price.

Historically, both Ford & Vauxhall images have been tarnished by rock bottom reliability & atrocious resale values, which is why people like me have avoided them like the plague. In fairness, they have improved their reliability a lot in recent years but they're still more middle-of-the-pack than market leaders as shown in the latest JD Power survey.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/987091/Most-unreliable-car-brands-UK-JD-Power-Survey

BTW, I drive a little Suzuki which ranked 2nd in the survey.

Regarding Ford, Ford are a full European car maker but they are disproportionately dependent on the UK market. Ever since the lunatics took over the asylum and voted for Brexit, the UK car market has gone into free fall. The way things are going, I expect this to get a LOT worse as we plough on with this attempt to commit national suicide. In such circumstances, I can't see Ford's UK plants surviving & if that happens, who could blame Ford for cutting & running.

Ford Focus ( dual-clutch automatic transmission) reliability here in the U.S. is awfull. The rest of the car is great, and of course great with a conventional automatic & manual, or my electric version. But its name is ruined. Ford did that. Screwed up big-time.
GM's chevy-vauxhall-opel Astra-Cruze is actually very high quality though. Performs extremely well, and many GM models are at or near the top of JD Powers surveys here. I see GM getting it right. Not in Europe apparently though. VW & the Asian car makers are loving this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back