Quality Tire Repair Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from Safety Seal, I got it from them direct because it includes both small and large plugs. This is a heavy duty tool to use the small plug you do not need to use the twisted reamer, the needle is strong enough to go though on its own.
The tool is steel and heavy and Made right here in MA, USA. The twisted reamer does not cut the belts like those cheap ones or cheap plastic handles that break off.
$54 inc shipping and well worth it, I put a 1/8 plug in the snowblower without reaming it. The set comes with a spare needle, real razor blades, Allen key and spare grub screw.

https://safetyseal.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=79

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Those look awesome and well made. I snapped the POS plastic one I had a few months ago on a lawn mower tire, so these will come in handy.

I've got a similar looking one to Trav's now. Of course I've not had to use it! Like jeepman, the first time I attempted to use my plastic handled cheapo, the handle snapped off and I stabbed my hand on the sharp end that remained. I strung some words together after that...

Well shoot. I didn't notice this thread, and bought the Boulder Tools set from Amazon yesterday. Hoping it's of sufficient quality.

I've had a Safety Seal kit forever. I've replaced the plugs and the lube a couple times. Still using all of the original hardware. Probably had it more than 25 years.

I have the Safety Seal Plus kit, which per RMA requires you to dismount the tire for inspection. The plug gets pulled in from inside the tire, and then a special sealer is applied around the plug, and is considered a "legal repair". The supplied plug puller will not work to install a plug from the outside of the tire.

Yes they are nice but not for what I want which is getting the car going again on the road without using some sort of Mickey Mouse spare of cans.

Originally Posted by Trav
Yes they are nice but not for what I want which is getting the car going again on the road without using some sort of Mickey Mouse spare of cans.

Plugging a tire might be just fine in that case, but too many other flat tires you have no idea as to the condition of the tire unless you look inside, which can be a HUGE problem when just popping a plug someone's tire to move them down the road into the public.

Last edited:
I have a pretty good idea what I am looking at and what I am doing so I am not really worried about it. If its in the tread area and a common nail I have no problem putting a plug in. I wouldn't do anything on the sidewall area or damage from flat metal that has cut the tire. Around here the most common repair is a nail or roofing nail.

Safety Seal has been acquired by North Shore Holdings LLC, as of Jan 8, 2020.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/north_shore_holdings_llc_acquires_safety_seal/prweb16786831.htm

The acquisition provides North Shore Holdings with a long trusted product line with which to enter the tire repair industry. Since 1964, Safety Seal has manufactured and distributed the worlds best selling line of tire repair products including plugs, sealer, lube and application tools. North Shore Holdings will maintain Safety Seals tradition of excellent customer service to existing and new customers while ensuring the product provides the same functionality and reliability that thousands of tire shops across the country have come to depend on.

To ensure continuity for customers, North Shore Holdings will retain Safety Seals existing contact information, website and phone lines.

"North Shore Holdings is thrilled with the opportunity to continue the long history of Safety Seal," said Tom Bolgrean, President of North Shore Holdings. "A lot of shops rely on the Safety Seal line of products and we will ensure they can continue to rely on them for many years to come. Our association with Branick Industries, a manufacturer of automotive tools and equipment for over 100 years, provides an increased customer base in addition to the existing network."

Production of the Original Safety Seal product is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2020.

I have noticed that online ordering at their website has been non-functional for at least a month. Orders have to be made over the phone.

I've got a Safety Seal kit that has got to be 25 years old. It currently lives under the back seat of my Suburban. Excellent tool.

Originally Posted by Trav

I thought plugging tires was a huge no-no from this crowd and it's just a disaster waiting to happen (even though 15+ years ago, those same folks accepted plugs as just fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back