Better oil flow using louvers over holes in filter center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the different designs I would think the open and more uniform surface area of a louvered design inside the filter tube would allow superior flow. Thoughts?

I doubt there's any difference in actual flow. Under pressure, the oil will make it through fairly similarly due to total surface area of the openings. What there is is less scrap, no thousands of little metal discs to be discarded. The louvers are punched/pressed into shape and no material is lost.

I think the louverd design will flow more than holes, but then again, holes flow enough.

The problem is, there seems to be an issue with some manufacturers making the louvers opened up evenly and consistently.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
If the goal is 'better oil flow', I'd be using an e-core unit (and I do).

I would think they would have the best as there is lots of open areas in the core. Found this in a bulletin:

Ecore's advanced core design has up to 10 times more flow through area than traditional metal cores, resulting in reduced flow restriction across the filter element.

Last edited:
Spirals and louvers FTW!

And good properly treated media - not Chinese Umbrella paper

So why did e-cores run like junk on my Chebby Twuck?

Most oil pumps will bypass over pressure, so it's not really "Ramma Jamma" Positive displacement - as in ones thoughts.

And - you love you filter safety bypass opening and washing big chunks into the bearings
smile.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
I think the louverd design will flow more than holes, but then again, holes flow enough.

The problem is, there seems to be an issue with some manufacturers making the louvers opened up evenly and consistently.

^^^^^

Great point here...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Spirals and louvers FTW!

Most oil pumps will bypass over pressure, so it's not really "Ramma Jamma" Positive displacement - as in ones thoughts.

And - you love you filter safety bypass opening and washing big chunks into the bearings
smile.gif

Can you elaborate?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the filter media have more say so on the flow? I guess I ask this because when you talk about going into bypass mode it's the filter media that can't provide the flow not the holes.

Well, apparently louvers are harder to make properly. Which is why you see so many of them not opened up completely.

Hastings is the exception because they use a different design. Hastings/Baldwin/Clarcor uses a different slotted center tube and the slots aren't made the same way.

See this thread on them

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ZZman
Looking at the different designs I would think the open and more uniform surface area of a louvered design inside the filter tube would allow superior flow. Thoughts?

IF the louvers are made correctly, they should provide slightly less delta-p (meaning "flows better" - doesn't "flow more") and should also help even out the distribution of the oil flow field.

Always inspect louvers before buying. Last thing you want are louvers like this.

Bad Louvers.JPG

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Spirals and louvers FTW!

smile.gif

Can you elaborate?

If he can do you really want to hear it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back