1988 Dodge B250 Conversion Van Shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have my van at the mechanic. It's gonna be there a while and the guy called to tell me I need shocks too. He suggested Monroe Gas Magnum shocks. I know blistein are highly recommended, but I just rebuilt the entire front end, and don't have the cash. What are the best shocks around 50 dollars a side for the front of the van. Also should I do the rears too? I do not want a overly stiff or mushy ride, sort of in the middle. I have a lot to do still and the price is adding up. Thanks

Last edited:
KYB Gas-a-just. WAY better than Monroe and durable than the Gabriel for about the same price. Do all for corners for $32 each at RA (vs $29 for the Monroe).

Last edited:
As you already know, Bilsteins are hard to beat, especially for OEM stuff. I have had WAY better experiences with Gabriel Ultra gas charged than any Monroe ever. JMO.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
As you already know, Bilsteins are hard to beat, especially for OEM stuff. I have had WAY better experiences with Gabriel Ultra gas charged than any Monroe ever. JMO.

Yea, I will upgrade to those a few years down the line. I have more pressing matters to repair first. I will be driving on roads only about 2k miles a year.

Get the KYB Gas-A-Just for now, then get the Bilstein in a few years when you can afford them
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get the KYB Gas-A-Just for now, then get the Bilstein in a few years when you can afford them
smile.gif

Sounds good. Any thought on the monroe gas magnum vs the kyb gas a just. They are basically the same costwise. I have read the KYB are a bit stiffer while the monroe has more cushion?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O
KYB Gas-a-just. WAY better than Monroe and durable than the Gabriel for about the same price. Do all for corners for $32 each at RA (vs $29 for the Monroe).

That must be why they broke on the rear of my van and KYB would not replace them.

OP, use the Ultras, they are great shocks and reasonably priced. I have them on our fleet trucks and they perform well.

I do not find the Gas-a-just stiff. KYB makes various shocks so a blanket statement can't be made. How they feel will depend upon your vehicle weight, springs, and f/r bias.

I have them in. 4,400lb suv right now. I had Monroes in for 20k after a supension rebuild (nothing radical, but stiffer springs in the rear for towing). The monroes felt ok for about 15k miles then became so soft the roll and front dive was unacceptable. I was very, very disappointed. I replaced them with the Gas-a-just and it was night and day beter ride and handling, even when the Monroe were new. It is now 20k later and it feels the same as day 1, unlike the Monroe that were never "great" and then junk at this point. My experience is mirrored by other owners on the make forum.

I have different KYB shocks in our Lexus sedan, about 75k on them and basically the same story. And again, largely mirrored by other owners on the make forum and Toyota forum, too.

I have had the same KYB gas a Justs on the same vehicle platform as OP since 2005.

They are firm, not squishy soft like the monroe sensa tracs i had on for all of 50 miles before ripping them off, instilled with a seething contempt for the way they made the van handle.

No personal experience with Bilstein and no regrets whatsoever with the KYB's.

I am rather impressed with the handling of such a top heavy brick with these shocks, which do give a more connected with the road type of feel, rather than an dangerously isolated feel that the Sensa tracs had.

I find KYB's to work the best overall for life and quality of control for the cost nothing else comes close. Put a set on a friends c2500 silverado and on his part time driving older caprice classic and he is thrilled at both and the caprice has never felt better because it has a fixed the body roll at speed in corners better than the monroe's I took off.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

That must be why they broke on the rear of my van and KYB would not replace them.

OP, use the Ultras, they are great shocks and reasonably priced. I have them on our fleet trucks and they perform well.

I have the ultras on my avalanche. They do ride a bit stiff unloaded. But with my travel trailer hitched with a WD hitch, the shocks are perfect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

I have the ultras on my avalanche. They do ride a bit stiff unloaded. But with my travel trailer hitched with a WD hitch, the shocks are perfect.

Surprising to me as I had them on my 2005 Silverado and never felt they were rough riders. But they are a terrific bargain and they hold up on our 4.5 ton service vans!

Originally Posted by spasm3

Surprising to me as I had them on my 2005 Silverado and never felt they were rough riders. But they are a terrific bargain and they hold up on our 4.5 ton service vans!

I'm not unhappy at all, as i mostly tow with the truck. But i think the OE bilsteins ride smoother unloaded, at about twice the cost!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back