Change filter each time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ridgeline with the MM.I remember your Civic is fairly new.Have you gone until MM is 0% to get an idea on mileage per change?
If the newer MM is like mine you have to let it go to 15-0% for other codes besides oil changes.
Changing oil and not the filter is like taking a shower and putting the old under wear back on.

Originally Posted by RichR
... Changing oil and not the filter is like taking a shower and putting the old under wear back on.
Really more like putting the same wristwatch back on. Or same helmet, if you prefer.

Changing oil and not the filter is like taking a shower and putting the old under wear back on.

Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

Last edited:
I have a Ridgeline with the MM.I remember your Civic is fairly new.Have you gone until MM is 0% to get an idea on mileage per change?
If the newer MM is like mine you have to let it go to 15-0% for other codes besides oil changes.

LOL

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by littleant
New filter every oil change (Ultra) it's just not that expensive and makes me feel good. I believe the 4.0 Ford with the timing chain setup requires a little more mantaince to keep inside engine super clean.
What's your evidence that replacing the Ultra more frequently than recommended will keep the inside of your engine any more "super clean"?

What's the evidence it doesn't? Here's an idea, let him do it the way he likes with his own stuff and you don't need to worry yourself about it

Maybe in your mind it works that way, but in REAL LIFE, that's not how it works.

This is all a rather predictable topic, goes about he same way every time...

But this change the filter every other time is not a new concept... it will be fine...

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'd follow HONDA recommendation of 2X. There is zero evidence that HONDA engineers are wrong. Ed

Unless it's the 1.5T engine known for fuel dilution problems. I would change this every time to get rid of as much fuel out of the crank case as possible and that includes what is sitting in the filter at change time.

Both my cars I service get filter changed with every oil change. Evidence shows filters work better when new, and the other reason is it's my business what I do. Some car makers say change oil filter each OCI, so are they wrong, but others who say every other change, are right? They all use similar construction and metals in the engines. For the general public, who may use the car harshly especially in winter, the safety of each time also makes sense.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
But this change the filter every other time is not a new concept... it will be fine...
That's an understatement, considering Chevrolet recommended the every-other-time routine at least as far back as the early 1960s.

I thought research showed a filters efficiency(ability to trap particles) increases with use up to a point. Has to do with pore plugging in the media over time. This is where synthetic media filters like the Fram Ultra excel. If you change it at 5k miles you are gaining nothing and simply throwing away your money.

Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
I thought research showed a filters efficiency(ability to trap particles) increases with use up to a point. Has to do with pore plugging in the media over time. This is where synthetic media filters like the Fram Ultra excel. If you change it at 5k miles you are gaining nothing and simply throwing away your money.

Is there any data supporting this?

The problem with that thinking is that efficiency versus restriction is not a linear relationship. Any meaningful gain in efficiency will come with a drastic increase in resistance.

Originally Posted by rsalan

Is there any data supporting this?

Simple eyeball test is your data. Take a look at all-of the filter dissections in this board room. Most-all filters reach landfills with less than 33-50% fill-rate.

So many here insist on changing filters with each oil change. But would they do it, should that landfill be in their own backyard?

Data shows that oil filter efficiency remains the same across its useful life. It becomes more efficient right before it completely plugs.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
... Any meaningful gain in efficiency will come with a drastic increase in resistance.
True, but running an Ultra 10k vs. 5k in a healthy clean engine isn't likely to make a meaningful change in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back