Kia Sorento oil change capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2019 Sorento EX V6.
Been reading a lot about GDI engines, best oils to use, OCI's, etc.
Based on what I have read, I have decided on a 5,000 mile OCI.
I will use full synthetic 0W-30-weight oil, as that is what is indicated on the cap on the engine.

My question is this: What is the total amount of oil that is needed for an oil change? I believe from reading the owner's manual spec page that 6.87 quarts is correct, but I wanted to check with the experts here on these forums also.

Also, the book says to change the trans fluid at 60,000 miles, but I have read about a lot of people doing it at 30,000 miles instead. What do you think?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

The 6.87qt's most likely will differ slightly from what it actually takes. This has always been my experience with past vehicles. I would fill it 6qt's start the vehicle and idle for a few minutes then shut it down and check the oil level and top off until it's at the top of the highest mark on the dipstick. I would also advocate for using a Hyundai/Kia OEM filter, Amsoil or Royal Purple filter as I have had issues with other brands in the past. Kia/Hyundai vehicles can be fussy on oil filters.

As for transmission fluid I would change out at 30K miles the first time as this is when most of the break-in wear occurs and then follow 50,000 miles there after. Make sure to use the proper fluid meeting the spec as per your manual. The OE fluid is excellent when changed on time.

I followed this advise with my Santa Fe and it saw a very long life.

Happy motoring.

Last edited:
Thank you, StevieC. And now another question or two regarding oil. When I go to different websites, including AMSOIL distributors, and plug in my vehicle information, why does it come up 5W30 instead of 0W30?? It clearly states under the hood of the car 0W30.
Is there any significant difference between the two? Also, we purchased one of those extended warranties, so maybe the smart play is to just take it to the dealer and have them use whatever synthetic (TOTAL) they use?? Just not sure about a lot of this.
I am not someone that will be doing DIY oil changes on the car. Thank you for your input.

Agree with SteveC. Go 1 pint conservative, especially on the first fill.

That said, Hyundai/Kia's specs for oil capacity have been spot on for all 3 I've owned, when using OEM filters.

Originally Posted by Roger7142
When I go to different websites, including AMSOIL distributors, and plug in my vehicle information, why does it come up 5W30 instead of 0W30?? It clearly states under the hood of the car 0W30.

I would go by the owner manual; I have found website data like this frequently wrong especially on newer vehicles.

6.87 quarts is about 6.5 liters. My Elantra is like that with 4.23 quart capacity or 4 liters. I found 4 quarts is just about right, unlike the dealership that overfilled. Another filter option is Fram Ultra. I am using one now and also use OEM. Both are very quiet.

Originally Posted by Roger7142
Thank you, StevieC. And now another question or two regarding oil. When I go to different websites, including AMSOIL distributors, and plug in my vehicle information, why does it come up 5W30 instead of 0W30?? It clearly states under the hood of the car 0W30.
Is there any significant difference between the two? Also, we purchased one of those extended warranties, so maybe the smart play is to just take it to the dealer and have them use whatever synthetic (TOTAL) they use?? Just not sure about a lot of this.
I am not someone that will be doing DIY oil changes on the car. Thank you for your input.

Either is fine for most climates with the 0w having better flow characteristics when the oil is extremely cold like arctic cold not North America cold. The flow between a 5w30 and 0w30 is identical until you get to really extreme cold temperatures.

I would ask Amsoil why they are spec'ing a 5w30 when the cap says 0w30. They usually spec whatever the OE specifies. Example: My Dodge Journey and Dodge Caravan both called for 5w20 and although Amsoil makes a 0w20 on their website they spec'ed the 5w20 instead. I'm currently using 0w20 because I have it in my stash left over from when I owned a Toyota that called for 0w20.

It could be when the spec's were released initially for this engine it was spec'ed with a 5w30 and then later into production they changed the caps on the engines to read 0w30 instead but never updated the OE spec's released to the market. Or it could be they want to make sure you use a synthetic which would be a 0w anything versus a 5w something that could be either synthetic or conventional. I don't have proof on that, just offering why I think the discrepancy might exist.

You might e-mail their tech line on that one, perhaps it's an error in their online product guide. Their tech line is excellent at responding. Visit this link and fill out the form and they will e-mail you back. https://www.amsoil.com/techservices.aspx

Last edited:
This is what your Manual says. So either is fine... This would be why Amsoil says 5w30 because there is no mention of 0w30 in the manual.

manual.png

Last edited:
Our 4.6l Genesis lists the same capacity, but 6.5 qts places the oil level at the full line over many oil changes

Our 4.6 l Hyundai Genesis lists the same 6.87 qt. capacity but 6.5 qts.brings the level to the full line on the dipstick over several oil changes.

When i was buying the Sportage, i peaked under the hood of a 2018 Sorento V6 and it said 5W-30 on the cap. My wife's aunt just bought a 2019 Santa Fe and in the process we looked at the 2019 Sorento V6, it also showed 5W-30...weird, unless they're transitioning to a 0W-XX.

But 0W-30 is so hard to find as only AFE is easily accessible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back