Additive Component Chemistry X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Supply the missing words:

---------- is a dispersed --------- in a liquid and provides no lubricating qualities.

Open to all.

Let me give hint: This is something in a lubricant that we want to minimize as much as possible because it does not lubricate..

Just to add, this is in the context of a motor oil. Some "additive Xs" are soluble in other application lubricants.

Well, I thought someone would answer after the last hint.

FOAM is a dispersed GAS in a liquid and provides no lubricating qualities.

When engine components whip the oil in a crankcase the oil foams and bubbles form. Foam is simply entrained air.

When using a foam inhibitor such as polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), the PDMS lowers the surface tension of bubbles and causes them to burst earlier than they would without PDMS in the oil.

PDMS is added to PCMO's at about 3-5 ppm treat levels and shows up as "silicone" in VOA's.

BTW, A foam inhibitor is actually a misnomer as it doesn't stop bubbles from being formed; it just causes them to burst sooner.

Originally Posted by Garak
You got me, Mola. I was thinking of it from the total opposite direction, about working "foam inhibitor" or "anti-foaming agent" into the blanks.
Same here! The foam is "dispersed" throughout the oil down to the pickup, not just mostly floating on top?

I'd certainly agree with the foam being dispersed, particularly during the agitation that can be seen in an engine. Now, only someone like Mola would know how long it would linger in a motor oil that were formulated without such agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back