Oil plug nylon washer vs crush washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local NAPA did not have aluminum crush washers for my 2017 Corolla, bought the nylon now what for torque specs? AMSOIL has listed for aluminum crush washer 27 ft lbs. Follow the torque specs or just hand tighten till snug?

Those nylon washers freak me out.

Don't they look like they'll crack away to you????

If it's a 17mm or 14mm PM me and I'll send you one. Seriously.

Really, go to a better store which offers service you need. Parts shops which don't have drain plug washers are garbage and don't deserve your patronage..

I like the metal crush washers whether it is aluminum or copper. If you only tighten down to 20ft-lbs they can generally be used over and over again for a long time. It's only when you really reef on them that they are spent every 1-2 oil changes.

I used to do this all the time before I started using a Fumoto valve instead.

Originally Posted by vssjim
27 ft lbs is a lot for 12mm pan thread and those toyotas take a coated aluminum washer find them on ebay
In my experience, they also last a lot longer than Toyota would have you believe, if not abused. I've never needed to replace one---but bought spares, just in case.

Last edited:
I buy the filters for my Corolla at my local Toyota dealer.....They always give me a new crush washer! They can be reused several times.

I know the FSM states 37 nm/27 ft lbs.....That is way to much torque, You have to use common sense here! 15-16 ft lbs is more than enough.

This also brings up another topic......Why are people scared of the parts department at dealerships?? If a salesmen tries to hassle you, Tell them your headed to the parts department!

I absolutely hate those nylon washers. Walmart TLE has some of those I have used. They end up cracking when torquing them. I'd just go on ebay and buy the correct crush washers. Even reusing the old crush washer before I put one of those nylon things back on.

The Toyota brand crush washers are the best in the business. They are EXCELLENT. I use them on both of my motorcycles as well, as they fit perfect and they don't leak.

Buy them on eBay or Amazon 20 or 50 at a time, for pennies on the dollar compared to dealership prices. You can literally buy a lifetime supply of them for not much money, and never have to worry about them again.

I religiously change them out at every oil change. That is the correct procedure, and I do things the correct way.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
The Toyota brand crush washers are the best in the business. They are EXCELLENT. I use them on both of my motorcycles as well, as they fit perfect and they don't leak.
I religiously change them out at every oil change. That is the correct procedure, and I do things the correct way.

What is special about the Toyota brand ones? Are they softer, or patterned? Are they actually tin plated copper rather than aluminum?

Generally a steel bolt into an aluminum pan uses a plain copper washer. Regular steel bolts into a steel pan use a tin plated copper washer, but some types of zinc plating call for an aluminum washer.

Crush washers are like other parts that are usable a few times. The service people won't know the history of the part, so it's best to simplify to "always replace".

Originally Posted by djb
Crush washers are like other parts that are usable a few times. The service people won't know the history of the part, so it's best to simplify to "always replace".
If it's copper, just anneal it and it's good to go.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Copper crush washer then hand tighten with short good pull on wrench and then two bumps with hand. Done. Never a problem.

^^^^^^^^ Bingo. What he said. I had the same copper washer on a 1981 Toyota Corona for it's lifetime of 180,000 miles / 3000 = 60 oil changes.

Ray

The plastic ones I've had occasionally split...never caused more than a leak to chase, but I won't use them.

Al seem to be a forever item (well as long as I've owned the vehicle), Copper, find a set of washers of the right size for $5 and go forever. Fibre OK.

The "rolled" crush washers are indeterminate they work first time, and all the way through to 4th, or don't work second time.

Originally Posted by bubbatime

Buy them on eBay or Amazon 20 or 50 at a time, for pennies on the dollar compared to dealership prices. You can literally buy a lifetime supply of them for not much money, and never have to worry about them again.

agree.
20 for $2.77 delivered
they have a paper or fabric like coating, snug up that you can feel, ,one more 1/8 turn to a solid stop and no leak

Can someone please share the Toyota washers that you get from amazon / ebay? I recently replaced the oil on my camry (first time after I owned the car) and it had some piece of crap half rubber / metal washer that wasn't reusable so I had to make a run to Advance and they gave me a plastic washer so I used that although I didn't like it but it was 8:30pm and couldn't run to the dealership or hardware store for a good washer.

But i need to get some for next time and use the proper quality washer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I like the metal crush washers whether it is aluminum or copper. If you only tighten down to 20ft-lbs they can generally be used over and over again for a long time. It's only when you really reef on them that they are spent every 1-2 oil changes.

I used to do this all the time before I started using a Fumoto valve instead.

How do you like the Fumoto valve? I thought about using one but i'm afraid something would tap it and cause to lose oil or it is very secure?

Sorry, guys, I've used nylon washers for decades. You don't have to torque the drain plug very tight, they last for multiple uses, and I've never had one leak. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back